• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Playing with better players.

Bogey Member
I have a chance to play with some better players but have only been playing a couple of months and worried that they will get frustrated with me. Has anybody had any experience with this good players or new players?

I love playing with better players, especially ones that I can ask about technique questions (which is pretty much all of them). It'd probably be better to play an easier course like Zilker or the next easiest is probably Brushy Creek MUD because if you play a more advanced course like Circle C or East Metro or possibly even Pease (water hazzards) you may end up searching for your disc more than actually throwing it, which could possibly lead to some frustrations for the more advanced players, or not...just depends on their personality.

With all that said, I'd be down for throwing a round or two if you're interested.

Try it and find out. Try to become comfortable with the rules of etiquette (they're mostly common sense) ahead of time and if you're not,ask them to correct you if you make a mistake. If they're cool you'll probably learn a lot.

Every good player I have ever played with has been nothing but supportive and free to give out advice. There is no better way to get better in my opinion.

I usually play with people who are about the same skill level as myself (sometimes I beat them or sometimes they beat me) or people who I am better than. I would love to play a round with someone who is a lot better than me.

I'd say go for it. Like they said above it's a good way to learn faster and pick up better advice about your play. I have found that if I'm playing with better players that it makes me step up my game as well. Grab the opportunity.

Playing with better players is AWESOME. Humans learn by watching others doing. There is no substitute really. You get to see all sorts of new lines and strategies, discs used, etc. Don't worry about your noobness, I've never played with a veteran who wasn't cool about dispensing advice and good vibes.

Do it. I learned alot by doing so. Technique, discs, weights, lines, etc. Even if they are less-than-chatty, just watching is worth alot.

Every good player I have ever played with has been nothing but supportive and free to give out advice. There is no better way to get better in my opinion.

Same here, all the better players that I've played with have been very positive and supportive. Just to reiterate what everyone else has said, this is one of the best ways to learn new things.

I have only met one real jerk in the time I have been playing (less than a year)..playing with people better than me has done more for my game than anything else. It has been the most important aspect of my development..

I quit for about 10 years and my son started playing and talked me into playing with him and a friend this year. Straight out of the box after a 10 year hiatus I felt worse for them than I did for my own game.

I guess what I am trying to say is it wasn't frustrating for me, I just felt bad for them. I think most of the higher level players like helping the newer players. It is all about promoting the sport. It was that way 10 years ago and still appears to be that way today.

Show them the respect they deserve and you will be fine.

I really enjoy helping out players who aren't as good as I am, and I certainly have learned a ton by playing with and watching players who are a lot better than me. It's definitely worth it, and it's likely they will be happy to help you out.

you should be able to find plenty of mini's to play in in Austin. play open and you will meet and play with better players.....bad play is not whats annoying about newbies, its all those other intangible things. the veterans dont know you yet, so be cool and show up on a regular basis and before long they will know you and be more open to playing with you and helping you with your game. offer to keep score the whole round and keep it accuratley, bring extra beer or at the very least dont be a beer bummer. dont throw fits, soldier on. dont eww and awe, you will just make them feel uncomfortable being around you. dont brag, dont be a one upper, dont be a fruit loop or super dork, j/k have fun :)

I have a chance to play with some better players but have only been playing a couple of months and worried that they will get frustrated with me. Has anybody had any experience with this good players or new players?

I don't mind playing with newbs.. its just another person to get involved with the sport. You'll be surprised how most seasoned players will welcome you with open arms.. ask for advice, they'll give it too you and it will help your game.

been doing this since day 1, since my buddy got me playing again this year after 7 years away from the sport... but of course he's better n we've been chuckin all summer ... def think it's helped me get better, just like anything else competition raises the bar of performance.

The one thing that I think has gotten missed a bit here is the benefits to the better player. I'm not that great, but I've helped plenty of first/second-timers getting started. I've noticed that as they ask for help, it makes me think a lot more about what I am doing and why, especially when they ask good questions like "How come?" and "Why not ________?" Can really help to shake you out of some ruts.

I guess what I'm saying is, if they're smart, you're not the only one getting something out of playing with better players, they can too.

I also tend to play better when I play with better players. Probably that innate competitive nature thing makes you do all the little things better as well.

Latest posts