• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pond Diving

My friend and I just got done looking in the river for the second straight day. We found 16 discs, none of them had names on them, and one of them was one that I lost a week ago.
We found
4 Archangels
Flash
Champion Eagle
Orc
Champion Orc
Unkown Champion Disc
Champion Viking
LS Polaris
not sure the other ones. It was worth it though.

Last weekend I found a champ orc, a champ eagle, a CE firebird, a X out CE valk, a Surge, a pro starfire and a champ sidewinder, all without names. I have returned about 50 discs to people over the past couple years though. Some people were amazed to get discs back that had been lost 2 years or more.
BTW Josh, you know I give your discs back. :wink:

twmccoy said:
Last weekend I found a champ orc, a champ eagle, a CE firebird, a X out CE valk, a Surge, a pro starfire and a champ sidewinder, all without names. I have returned about 50 discs to people over the past couple years though. Some people were amazed to get discs back that had been lost 2 years or more.
BTW Josh, you know I give your discs back. :wink:

I know man, Im jsut saying the attitude of not giving discs back cause of "finders keepers, don't throw it near water if ya dont' want it gone, is not a kewl one :)

Hey guys, I have to add my thoughts on this.
At the course I play, there are some holes where water plays a big factor. Recently I went into on of the ponds and pulled out about 18 discs. Now this isn't a typical pond. There is about 3 feet of sludge on the bottom thanks to runnoff and duck bowel movements, dead fish floating in the water, a stench that makes you gag, and a ton of metal to slice you if you are not careful. Some of the discs I retrieved had names/#'s on them, but most did not. I was able to find some pretty decent stuff, like a first run sidewinder, star beast and wraith, ce kc teebird 11x, ce orc, pro wraith, pro starfire, z xtra, z hawk, ect. In my opinion if you toss your disc in the water, and don't have the nerve/desire to go in after it, you give up your right to that disc. I know this makes me sound like a selfish jerk, but believe me I am not. While I was in there, I pulled about 5-10 discs out for people who just tossed them in, even though it was a hassle to look for them. If I find a disc in the fairway or by the chains, I will call the person. In fact I did that this week with a nice ching putter I found. But if you drop it in the water, I think the person who goes in deserves it. If you don't have the motivation to go in after your own plastic, how can you be upset at someone who does? That just sounds petty to me. I have only been playing about 4 months, and have been able to find some discs that have really helped my game. Am I way off base here??

There is one pond I go into occasionally that is nasty. The discs I get out of it stink as well and have to be left outside for a week. I agree with you that whoever finds the discs should have the choice of keeping them or giving them back. That said, I don't agree with watching people's shots, finding the disc and then keeping it. If I see someone throw a disc in, I will get it and give it back to them. This year alone I have saved people some big $$ by retrieving their errant shots. Also, if I am finding discs and someone describes their disc and I have it, I will give it back. I scored a champ beast and a champ roadrunner after finding people's discs one day. They insisted on giving me one of their old discs in return, so things worked out nicely.

You guys who think every disc should be returned have to remember, it is hard work finding these things. I've had to deal with rude people, leeches, weather, rocks etc. What I'm saying is, don't bitch when you throw your favorite disc in the drink. Use something expendable on water holes.

twmccoy said:
You guys who think every disc should be returned have to remember, it is hard work finding these things. I've had to deal with rude people, leeches, weather, rocks etc. What I'm saying is, don't bitch when you throw your favorite disc in the drink. Use something expendable on water holes.

On the other hand, no one is forcing you to go in there to find discs. If you don't want to go through all that to return the property to its rightful owner, then don't go in there at all.

garublador said:
twmccoy said:

On the other hand, no one is forcing you to go in there to find discs. If you don't want to go through all that to return the property to its rightful owner, then don't go in there at all.

I almost only go in after one of my discs and then usually stick around to see what else I can find since I am already in there. It is hard for me to sympathize with people who want their disc back after not going in there after it. So you lost your first run CE TL and someone found it and kept it. It happens, if you really wanted it back you would have gone in to get it or write somewhere on your disc "Cash Reward" or something like that.

If you are going in the water to fish for discs, you are not going in there to find discs and return them. You are going in there hoping to find some good discs you can use or sell.

One last thing. Stop putting "WWJD" and "This disc has a tracking device" on the disc, these make me want to throw your disc into the deepest part of the lake. Last time I went dipping I found a disc that had a giant rant on the underside about how they would destroy me if I didn't return their disc and they would murder my family etc. I just impaled the disc on a stick and left it on a teepad. Just write your name, number and reward on your disc, not some three paragraph rant about your homicidal tendancies, it just makes me hate you.

frank,

dare i say wow....how do you really feel :D I happen to agree...just the normal info..no need for a book!

mike

sorry, the english major in me came out for a second.

Seriously though whenever I see WWJD on a disc I think to myself "his disc would probably just skip off the water."

Frank_Delicious said:
Seriously though whenever I see WWJD on a disc I think to myself "his disc would probably just skip off the water."

:D :p :D
BWWAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!

sleepy

twmccoy said:
There is one pond I go into occasionally that is nasty. The discs I get out of it stink as well and have to be left outside for a week. I agree with you that whoever finds the discs should have the choice of keeping them or giving them back. That said, I don't agree with watching people's shots, finding the disc and then keeping it. If I see someone throw a disc in, I will get it and give it back to them. This year alone I have saved people some big $$ by retrieving their errant shots. Also, if I am finding discs and someone describes their disc and I have it, I will give it back. I scored a champ beast and a champ roadrunner after finding people's discs one day. They insisted on giving me one of their old discs in return, so things worked out nicely.

Yes, EXPO is nasty. But I agree with ya terry on the watching and getting and keeping. Those are the pond divers that piss me off the most. i.e. Mile High Classic, there wa sa guy who was watching discs go into the water, he'd get them then charge a 10$ return fee unless he liked the disc. There was on player who thru his starfire in, and he was gonna go out and get it once we got to that side (hole 13 inlet) and this jerk went in, grabbed it and told him he liked the starfire, but would give it back for 20$. WTF is that! Not cool, those are the pond divers that piss me off.

The returned discs I'm talkin about is if you go in to get yours and happen to find someone else's disc. I'd say please make an effort to return it.

Frank_Delicious said:
sorry, the english major in me came out for a second.

LOL!!!!!

I saw a disc one time that had all this mumbojumobo on it how if it wasn't returned my family would be cursed and my disc golf game would go to hell etc... it covered the entire bottom of the disc..it was hilarious. I left it on the teepad sign @ badlands.

Most times when I lose a disc I don't even post, unless it's something I really care about.

Her'es a question tho, what do you do if you find a disc just laying on the course, in a basket, off a teepad? Finder's Keepers Losers weepers? or do you call the person on the disc?

Fritz said:
Her'es a question tho, what do you do if you find a disc just laying on the course, in a basket, off a teepad? Finder's Keepers Losers weepers? or do you call the person on the disc?

I return those. You never know when someone dropped a disc or one fell out of their bag. Who hasn't left a disc somewhere on a course or thrown a few off the tee and forgot to pick it up, only to reach for it in a few holes and realize its not there.

Yes, EXPO is nasty. But I agree with ya terry on the watching and getting and keeping. Those are the pond divers that piss me off the most. i.e. Mile High Classic, there wa sa guy who was watching discs go into the water, he'd get them then charge a 10$ return fee unless he liked the disc. There was on player who thru his starfire in, and he was gonna go out and get it once we got to that side (hole 13 inlet) and this jerk went in, grabbed it and told him he liked the starfire, but would give it back for 20$. WTF is that! Not cool, those are the pond divers that piss me off.

The returned discs I'm talkin about is if you go in to get yours and happen to find someone else's disc. I'd say please make an effort to return it.[/quote]

Yeah, that really sucks. I hope somebody beat that guy up. I have seen other people at expo finding discs and they have been decent enough guys. Holding people's discs hostage is a sure way to get yourself in trouble though. There were actually people a while back that were calling the numbers on the discs and telling people they would never see their discs again. I tried to call E Basey about one of his discs but reached a woman who was about out of her mind from dealing with prank calls regarding his discs. The disc had his old phone number on it. Also, I have found over 1000 discs in 2 years and never once seen WWJD on one. I have seen some pretty strange stuff written on discs though.

twmccoy said:

The returned discs I'm talkin about is if you go in to get yours and happen to find someone else's disc. I'd say please make an effort to return it.

Yeah, that really sucks. I hope somebody beat that guy up. I have seen other people at expo finding discs and they have been decent enough guys. Holding people's discs hostage is a sure way to get yourself in trouble though. There were actually people a while back that were calling the numbers on the discs and telling people they would never see their discs again. I tried to call E Basey about one of his discs but reached a woman who was about out of her mind from dealing with prank calls regarding his discs. The disc had his old phone number on it. Also, I have found over 1000 discs in 2 years and never once seen WWJD on one. I have seen some pretty strange stuff written on discs though.[/quote]

I am victim to a ransom call, they told me they wanted 20 $ or they'd "execute the disc" if I wasn't at expo in 30 mintues. I said whatever and hung up..they called back in 30 minutes and said they were going to execute the disc and I heard a crack sound then they hung up. Some people are just retarded.

The discs in the crappy water were abandoned, not lost. Abandoned discs are fair game for anyone willing to go through the trouble of getting them. Keeping lost discs, on the other hand, is just low. I've gone into the water after every disc I've thrown in if it was a disc I cared about. If I left it in there, I didn't care and it's fair game.

On a tangent ...

... I find a disc. I call the owner and say "I found your disc".

They say "Great! When can you drop it off at my house?"

I suggest we meet someplace between us or that they swing by my place to pick it up and they sound astonished that you wouldn't take it right to them immediately. It was fortune that your disc was found at all and now I'm supposed to deliver it to you?

I always offer to pick up my found discs from the place most convenient to the finder. I suggest everyone else do the same.

bryanzera said:
On a tangent ...

... I find a disc. I call the owner and say "I found your disc".

They say "Great! When can you drop it off at my house?"

I suggest we meet someplace between us or that they swing by my place to pick it up and they sound astonished that you wouldn't take it right to them immediately. It was fortune that your disc was found at all and now I'm supposed to deliver it to you?

I always offer to pick up my found discs from the place most convenient to the finder. I suggest everyone else do the same.

Exactly, when someone calls me (only happen one time) I say wanna meet at one of the courses to play a round? I do the same for those I call back. I call on any disc I find that has a name and number on it. I'll call ya 2x if ya don't return my call the disc makes it way to the used bin.

On the note of Abandoning it, I disagree. There is a lake at a local course that they recently just dug out deeper. I loved that Star Teebird I lost on Saturday, but there is no way I'm going to go in where the water is up to my shoulders to get that disc. I fished around for a good 30 minutes to no avail.
If someone finds it cause swimming in shoulder deep water is their thing, I'd appreciate a call back on the disc, and hell I'd even give ya a Lincoln for it back for your troubles, when we meet up at the course to play a round.

Yeah, I agree about the "delivery" part. If you want it, you can come pick it up, or you can meet me at the course when I plan on playing. But I'm not going to deliver your disc, sorry. Unless you just happen to live nearby....

And after losing dozens myself, I'm stil lwaiting on that FIRST phone call.....