• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Poor Adam_Valk gave Flip City a less than 5 review

Or just stop reviewing Flip and Idle, doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.

Maybe there should be a cutoff for the maximum number of reviews a course can have? Perhaps create some balance by removing old unhelpful reviews to free up space for the newer reviews?...

I went to Flip City in July. I had high expection out it. As I looked rating on DGCR. It is one of DGCR favorite with lot of 5 star. When I get there. I got exciting of course. first hole i got birdie. I start thinking if it is easy course ? After I played all holes. I did get lot of birdies. If it was my home course. I should get more birdies. I sort of disapointed by high rating by other members. It was long drive for me. No water in play but I was unhappy with distance. I get there in 2 most of time. I like more distance or more challange holes. There are few holes that i enjoy the most for example hole 3,11,2a,
3a,6a,13,15,16. I play on white tees because it is longer. Lot of holes are 306 feet or under. I would rate this course a 4 star. It was clean course but less challange. My opionion of 5 star would be combination of clean, challange, several pins locations, balance of left, middle, right, and 20% 300ft or less 65% 300-500 ft 15% 500 ft plus. Water in play will be nice but not require for perfect rating.

I went to Flip City in July. I had high expection out it. As I looked rating on DGCR. It is one of DGCR favorite with lot of 5 star. When I get there. I got exciting of course. first hole i got birdie. I start thinking if it is easy course ? After I played all holes. I did get lot of birdies. If it was my home course. I should get more birdies. I sort of disapointed by high rating by other members. It was long drive for me. No water in play but I was unhappy with distance. I get there in 2 most of time. I like more distance or more challange holes. There are few holes that i enjoy the most for example hole 3,11,2a,
3a,6a,13,15,16. I play on white tees because it is longer. Lot of holes are 306 feet or under. I would rate this course a 4 star. It was clean course but less challange. My opionion of 5 star would be combination of clean, challange, several pins locations, balance of left, middle, right, and 20% 300ft or less 65% 300-500 ft 15% 500 ft plus. Water in play will be nice but not require for perfect rating.

Are you from Sweden?

I think he should remedy this by the creative use of a "Slip n Slide" and a water sprinkler on a couple of the fairways.......

Seriously, water does add a certain psychological element to the game that a normal O.B. zone does not. But you can't have everything on every course. Personally I'd like Hooter Gals to massage my shoulders , wipe perspiration off of my forehead and feed me grapes at every teepad and more. Now that would be a course that rates a five. I wasn't aware Flip City didn't have water hazards. I'd say that it would be hard to rate it a 5 without at least having water in play on one hole. My favorite local course is very nice, but it doesn't have any water other than a few dtches and run off creeks. For that reason I'd take half a point off, another half point because there are no restrooms in close proximity. Perfect means perfect, there is no way that you can improve upon it. So I say no course warrants a 5.

Maybe there should be a cutoff for the maximum number of reviews a course can have? Perhaps create some balance by removing old unhelpful reviews to free up space for the newer reviews?...

If you removed all reviews that have less than 10 sentences it would clear up some room for some new ones and set some kind of standard. :\

I suppose with attitude, there will not be another helpful review of Flip. What more meaningful tidbit can be added that has not been included in the 71 reviews so far?

And, he does include helpful info: lots of shots required, no water but other interesting obstacles and bugs in the summer.

Bugs in the summer. LOL! I hope so, if not it's the end of the world. Bugs in the summer is about as helpful as someone bitching about poison ivy on a Heavily wooded course. Especially off the fairways. I understand complaining if its covering the T pad.

I don't think you have to have all the major environmental obstacles to get a 5 rating. I feel it is silly to think a course has to have everything just to be a 5. However, if a reviewer loves water on a course and it doesn't have it. He has EVERY RIGHT to mark down for that.

These are collective opinion ratings. This BS about this has to be the best course ever gets old! Competition among courses is what creates people to make better courses and not the idea that "there will never be a better course than this one" kind of thinking.

FOR ME....
It has to be FUN! A 5 course should make you get excited about the next hole coming up as soon as you finish the hole before it. If you are constantly thrilled by so many of the holes that it makes you want to throw multiple drives at each tee shot and makes you want to take a second run at that approach and so forth, well that to me is an exciting course. Those are the courses where I fell a 5 goes for me. I also think they should have most of the amenities to make playing a course easy to get around and help keep it clean.

i just read his review, it didnt have much helpful info for me but ive never played there so i didnt thumb up or down

Much ado about nothing.

I'm bemused by the fervor of the Flip fans and when I saw the 4-disc review, I was curious to see the approval numbers. But as I scrolled through the other Flip reviews, there are plenty with 5-disc ratings that have been overwhelmingly thumbs-downed.

The flippers aren't just defensive about the course---they're tough on the reviewers in general.

For myself, the added detail about the lack of water is enough to make a review helpful.

Actually, I have been thinking about that lately and something I think I may plan to do at some point down the road is to exclude really old reviews from the rating.

The site isn't even 3 years old yet so it might not be a realistic proposition yet but my thinking was if a review was over 2 years old and has not been updated, it would be excluded from the rating. It could still be read and if you updated it then it would once again count towards the rating. Something like that may take care of the drive-by reviewer issue and make the top courses list more current and inline with player opinions.

Sorry to thread jack :)

Timg you could also use the most recent 25 reviews as the rating formula, or maybe it isnt 25, but something like that. The only courses that will be affected by this would be the top 20 courses in terms of reviews. Most courses have less than 10-15 reviews

I don't think that is really that fair.. especially if a new course goes up in an area with a lot of players. A month old review should still count even if it's #26.

I suppose that is true but look at how many course have that many reviews. Maybe as the site gets bigger the # would have to increase, but how many course have 25 or more reviews right now? 50 courses. I suppose you are correct though about anything outside 1 year or so that has had a certain # of reviews. If it is a smalltime course that has only two reviews for years, both reviews should be a factor. Not sure how your algorithms work, but if you can incorporate time and total reviews that would be best

Last edited:
Still, I don't think it should be a quantity thing. At least with age, you could argue that the older reviews could be dated where as quantity would just be kind of arbitrary.

Much ado about nothing.

I'm bemused by the fervor of the Flip fans and when I saw the 4-disc review, I was curious to see the approval numbers. But as I scrolled through the other Flip reviews, there are plenty with 5-disc ratings that have been overwhelmingly thumbs-downed.

The flippers aren't just defensive about the course---they're tough on the reviewers in general.

For myself, the added detail about the lack of water is enough to make a review helpful.

This. The risk you run when reviewing these courses that everyone on the site has played or has on their wishlist is that someone is going to disagree with you and thumb you down. I gave Flip a 5 disc rating because I had a great time playing there, and it's one of the two best courses I've played out of 172. 7 people didn't like my review for whatever reason, 24 did. You just have to expect that with top ranked courses, and it's silly to worry about thumbs down unless you're getting them on every review you write.

Actually, I have been thinking about that lately and something I think I may plan to do at some point down the road is to exclude really old reviews from the rating.

The site isn't even 3 years old yet so it might not be a realistic proposition yet but my thinking was if a review was over 2 years old and has not been updated, it would be excluded from the rating. It could still be read and if you updated it then it would once again count towards the rating. Something like that may take care of the drive-by reviewer issue and make the top courses list more current and inline with player opinions.

Sorry to thread jack :)

Great idea! That's how some sports - tennis, golf - establish player rankings. As you said, it will give an accurate rating for how the course currently plays, not how it played X years ago. It will be interesting to see how course ratings/Top 10 list will flucate when a really low rating gets taken off the books after its time has elapsed.

Personally I'd like Hooter Gals to massage my shoulders , wipe perspiration off of my forehead and feed me grapes at every teepad and more. Now that would be a course that rates a five.

BTW, that is why Brackett's Bluff was rated a 5.0 by many people. One of the Brackett boys is engaged to a Hooter's girl and for several of their events a bunch of her work friends would come out and drive around on a Gator delivering free beer (well paid for by part of the $15 entry fee).

BTW, that is why Brackett's Bluff was rated a 5.0 by many people. One of the Brackett boys is engaged to a Hooter's girl and for several of their events a bunch of her work friends would come out and drive around on a Gator delivering free beer (well paid for by part of the $15 entry fee).

Why did never get up there to play? Why?!?!?

This is the review in question:
Pros: This course will challenge every shot in your bag. It allows you as a golfer to focus on your shot making ability rather than just plain luck.
Cons: The only thing that keeps this course from being a 5 in my mind is their isn't any water hazards. I know there have been obstacles built to replace the lack of water, but water on this course would make this course even more beautiful.Other Thoughts: The bugs are a given especially in the hot summer months, but overall a great course.

While it is tough to write anything new about a course reviewed so many times, this review is clearly not helpful if he rated it a 5 or a 4.5

I thought maybe the thumbs-downs were a bias but if you look at the lower ratings (a few 4s and a 3) they really are mediocre reviews. I'm curious if a well written review would receive so many negative votes.

Latest posts