• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Portland - Quick and Dirty

TempleOfDoom

Eagle Member
Got a ticket to King Crimson in San Francisco on 10/4. So, decided to take few days off and fly up to Portland for a quick Horning's fix. Planning on playing a couple rounds each at Meadow Ridge and Canyon Course. Since no trip is complete without bagging some new courses, I was planning on adding the following:
Buxton Woods
LL Stub Stewart
Leverich
North Bonneville
I added the last two because I haven't played anything in Washington yet.
Thoughts?

Buxton is beautiful. As is Stub Stewart. Have yet to play Leverich or North Bonneville. From what I have heard though LL and Buxton are the better 2 of the 4. Have fun.

Keep a really good eye on your discs at Stub Stewart, when we were there in July it was really overgrown with ferns and we ended up spending a lot of time looking for discs in the middle of fairways. I'm not sure what the progress is at Buxton, he had recently purchased a new excavator or something and was putting in 9 new holes along with doing some other work on the course, it's a cool place either way. Enjoy your trip, we had a blast playing and camping at Horning's.

Got a ticket to King Crimson in San Francisco on 10/4. So, decided to take few days off and fly up to Portland for a quick Horning's fix. Planning on playing a couple rounds each at Meadow Ridge and Canyon Course. Since no trip is complete without bagging some new courses, I was planning on adding the following:
Buxton Woods
LL Stub Stewart
Leverich
North Bonneville
Thoughts?

Instead of playing two less than stellar WA courses you could always drive out and play the Milo Mciver/Timber Park combo. If you don't feel like driving 45 minutes you could play Mccormick and Blue Lake which are also in the same area as Leverich and Bonneville and are much better courses.

Buxton Woods
LL Stub Stewart
Leverich
North Bonneville
Thoughts?

Buxtons is Awesome and quickly becoming one of my favorites on the Westside and you can play Stubs too (a few miles from each other) and Stubs is EPIC and Beautifull. Stubs is much more technical and difficult IMO, Buxton is possibly funner and they have a very nice variety of shots.

Leverich is cool and fun, but a short 9 hole I believe (very easy to get a low score)… Pretty far out there by itself. (maybe somewhat close to PDX?)

I would do Stubs/Buxton/Hornings/Pier if I were you :thmbup:

But if your flying into PDX you could always hit up Blue Lake, a new "links" style course played in Worlds this year, its very close to the airport. I thought the course was awesome, I truly enjoyed it.

Instead of playing two less than stellar WA courses you could always drive out and play the Milo Mciver/Timber Park combo. If you don't feel like driving 45 minutes you could play Mccormick and Blue Lake which are also in the same area as Leverich and Bonneville and are much better courses.

Didn't you just spend a bunch of time playing less than stellar courses in Denver? Just sayin' :|

Didn't you just spend a bunch of time playing less than stellar courses in Denver? Just sayin' :|

... And you started a thread asking what you should do in Portland and I gave my opinion. Glad we're all caught up now. :popcorn:

Any thoughts on the re-design of Champoeg?

All the new cement tee pads are in & they have all the baskets in as of last week. Four of the old holes are lengthened (old numbers: 1,4,6,9), two will be lengthened but are waiting for new collars (7,12). Two holes are shorter (old 8,13), Old 18 is redesigned, and old 2 will be removed, which I think means #1 gets a new pin placement.

Currently you can play 19 holes with baskets. IIRC there are 6 Mach X, and the rest still use the old ones. Two new holes are played between the old 5 & 6, and the other two between 12 & 13. The ones between 12 & 13 take you up to the restrooms (yay!) and back to the old 13's new tee (which is now a straight shot).

The tee shots on 1, 4, 6, and 9 are more difficult in addition to the added length, and the new hole just before old #6 has a difficult approach through trees to a pin with a small green, and the creek about 30' behind it. The other three new holes are birdie opportunities; but overall the course is distinctly more challenging.

I played 10 courses up and down the Columbia Gorge on my trip last year including North Bonneville.

The drive to Bonneville up the Oregon side of the river and across the Bridge of the Gods is certainly beautiful. The course is in a nice park but is just an average course with no frills. I haven't played Leverich, but it is closer.

You may want to consider playing Blue Lake on the trip since it is not on your played list.

ToD,

As Discette mentioned you really should try Blue Lake... Yes, there is some long grass out there, but it was pretty well trampled down during worlds. Plus, the season is coming to an end so the grass is laying down anyway. It is a big course, with lots of OB, but it is fair and rewards accuracy and wise decision making.

You have 186 courses played? Then you can probably keep a disc near the center of a 100' wide fairway.

Also, as someone else mentioned Milo McIver is an option as well. That is another do not miss course here in Portland.

Milo has a huge tournament on October 4th (Hab/Rec).
Timber is closed till the middle of October (I think) because of the huge fire we had in Estacada.
Buxton has a C-tier on the 4th and then we start the new bag tag league on the 5th. Should be a lot of fun at both events.
If you play Stubb or Buxton, shoot me a message. I'd love to play a round at Stubb again, but it sucks playing there by yourself!

Latest posts