• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

So I got a couple PDs:

166g P-PD. Hope to beat it into a long straight-to-flip disc.
166g S-PD. Long straight-to-hyzer disc, up to moderate winds. Eventually beat into the P-PD...
175g C-PD. High wind, dependable hyzer.

The P and S line discs are very flat and stiff. Even at their lighter weights, they seem to cut the wind line a knife. I can throw them low, flat, and hard and they laser with a nice fade at the end. The C line is gummy and quite domey. Despite it being more stable than the S and P line, it doesn't seem to cut the wind or blaze down the fairway as fast. Is this typical of a C-line? Are there flat and stiff C-line PDs? Did I just get a domey one? Are domey PDs more or less stable?

if you are looking for a flatter c line, you are looking for 1st run CFR or 3rd runs. A kind fellow chirped that disc golf center has some 3rd run and if you call and request, wade will hand pick one.

word of caution...1st run CFRs are crazy OVERSTABLE..they are money for thumbers and wind fighting duties. Don't expect it to break into a nice straight disc. I have 2 from the DGR custom order.

The 3rd Run C-Lines I've seen are moderately domed, like First Run S-Lines, and are slightly less beefy than the new S-Lines I've thrown. They're pretty amazing.

So...I've been thinking about trying out a PD, and I was hoping someone might be able to recommend to me a good first PD plastic. I don't have a cannon arm, but I was thinking about getting one anyways...

upper 160s to low 170s p line. the p lines have all turned out how they were supposed to mold wise...no mysterious + rims or test config tops sprinkled throughout to to make you mad when you get one unexpectedly from ordering online.

For me, the best starter was Pro. I got an S Line first and just never clicked with it. I almost gave up on it, but tried the P Line anyway. THAT was what I clicked with and is still bagged to this day. After that, the C Line and S Line clicked better after I learned the P Line. YMMV

FWIW, I got low 160's....160 and 163 to be exact.

Do you PD [and teebird] throwers ever feel like you're cheating on your teebird when you throw your PD?? Ive been throwing max wt champ teebirds for years now and recently started throwing a 170g fr c-pd and its awesome. very stable, long, and predictable. Even at 170g's its more stable than the older 'stable' teebirds Ive been collecting for backups. Aaaaalllllmmmmmost makes me want to ditch my stash of 11x kc pro teebirds.

Anybody completely ditch teebirds for PDs? If you have teebirds and PDs in the bag when do you go with one over the other?

PD's get about 30-40' more distance for me than Teebirds, so they can live together in my bag. For me it's like replacing a midrange with a fairway. I could do it, but there would be more than one time a round I wish I had the other.

PDs are better in the wind than Teebirds I think.

Do you PD [and teebird] throwers ever feel like you're cheating on your teebird when you throw your PD?? Ive been throwing max wt champ teebirds for years now and recently started throwing a 170g fr c-pd and its awesome. very stable, long, and predictable. Even at 170g's its more stable than the older 'stable' teebirds Ive been collecting for backups. Aaaaalllllmmmmmost makes me want to ditch my stash of 11x kc pro teebirds.

Anybody completely ditch teebirds for PDs? If you have teebirds and PDs in the bag when do you go with one over the other?

No. Two discs, two different purposes. For a while I threw only Teebirds for drives to address my form issues so the PD has replaced some Teebird shots. Teebirds are great, accurate, predictable discs for up to ~320'. My PDs are longer (166g, instead of 175g), faster, less accurate, and finish with more fade. Teebirds for accuracy, PDs for distance. Still if the hole is longer than 320', but the fairway is really tight, I'll reach for my Teebird. A match made in heaven...

And yes, PDs are much better in the wind; cut it like a knife.

The PD is the first disc that kicked my TeeBirds (had been carrying them almost since the beginning) out of the bag. Once I got my first S-Line seasoned a little, I just never threw my TeeBirds. After about six months I put one back in the bag because I wasn't playing as much, and my Wasp wasn't flying far enough to cover the distance that my powered down PDs would get squirrely. Even then, the TeeBird would only come out once every twenty rounds...maybe.

PDs can absolutely replace TeeBirds. They are plenty accurate (not sure what theabacus is talking about), sneaky long, and power down very well. In the different plastics and wear stages they could easily be the only driver you carry.

I doubt a fresh s line pd can replace a teebird right away... But once beaten in a little, a s line pd is amazing. It's longer, but just as controlable. It has a little more hss than a star teebird, about the lss and it flies much better in the wind. One of the better disc I have tried since I started 2 (or was it 3... ) years ago.

I will try a p pd as soon as they are available at my local store.

I doubt a fresh s line pd can replace a teebird right away... But once beaten in a little, a s line pd is amazing. It's longer, but just as controlable. It has a little more hss than a star teebird, about the lss and it flies much better in the wind. One of the better disc I have tried since I started 2 (or was it 3... ) years ago.

I'm always amazed at how straight the P-PD's fly out of the box but nothing is better than a seasoned S-PD.

Good lord, I haven't thrown a Star TB in a good while, but if they have less HSS than a seasoned (or new for that matter) S-PD they aren't really flying like TBs. A good TB should have 0 HSS for you, me, or David Wiggins jr. It's the SPD's tiny tick of high speed turn that makes it much more versatile.

If you are bagging a fresh and seasoned SPD along with a PPD, does the C overlap at all with the fresh S?

Depends on which run of C-Line you have.

If you're talking CFR 1st Runs, no. They're more like a Predator. Mine laughed at the 40mph headwinds it faced in the past.

If you're talking 1st Run production (plus-rim), not too sure. I haven't spent a lot of time with this run, but I seem to remember it having a little more turn from new with less fade.

If it's one of the newer, pearly 3rd Runs, yes (generally). Mine flew like a 1st Run S-Line half way to the sweet spot.

If you are bagging a fresh and seasoned SPD along with a PPD, does the C overlap at all with the fresh S?

At first yes. Some runs of S line are also beefier than others. In my experience the ones with tight flightplates are more OS and take awhile to break in. I still bag both because of cycling purposes but also at this point they are subtly different.

1 and 3 rd run C's are beefier than plus rimmed 2nd runs. For me the CPD stability wise fits between a Z pred and a new FB.

Latest posts