• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discmania] Power Driver Freak PEEDEE Thread

i've started to see traits in certain colors of the spd's around here with patent numbers.

i've bought three of the red ones and they are magical right out of the box. they are remarkably straight; true workhorses that will simply do what you want them to do even when you really lay into them. very little fade, very little turn, just enough to enable long hyzer routes and great laser-beam powerful drives. all the reds i've come across with patent # have similar PLH and dome.

the white ones seem to be flatter; they are straight beef and i really don't see how you could use them as a control/fairway driver in anything but a headwind or for a cannon arm, and i throw a decent ways myself. they are not test config, they're just pigs. PLH as high or higher than some CPD. same with the yellows. i haven't seen any whites or yellows with patent # that aren't flat like that with a high PLH.

i'm wondering if these are both just old stock that got freak-stamps. not a big deal, but interesting.

Freak stamps and shield stamps don't mark the end/beginning of patent tooling.

Oh, I know. I had read certain characteristics of s line runs earlier in the thread and that is where my speculation came from. I doubt that's the case, but all I know for now is that patent run red spds are amazing thus far. :) has anybody else found general trends around their retailers?

I can't bother to read through 151 pages so here's some questions:

What are the exact differences between current run S-line PD's and C-line PD's? And do I need both in my bag (do they cover different shots)?

If you are after current runs, C-PDs are currently have a bit more HSS than the S-Lines. And yes, they can cover different shots / sculpt different lines. S-Lines beat in quicker, and once in their sweet spot they can be a wunderdisc depending upon how far you throw. I carry 4-5 PDs in my bag, and they do everything.

*Also important to note: PDs power down well, increasing their versatility.

Has anyone seen these anywhere in really light (like low 160's) weight? I've been messing around a bit with lower weight drivers and liking the results. If I could find one I'd pick it up and see what it does.

Has anyone seen these anywhere in really light (like low 160's) weight? I've been messing around a bit with lower weight drivers and liking the results. If I could find one I'd pick it up and see what it does.

I have p-pd's and s-pd's in light weights. I had three (now one) 157 sp-d's that were sooo beefy. Such a nice disc. So nice that my brother wanted one for himself so I gave it to him and I left one on the course and never got it back. I found that I like mine in the mid 160's the best. S-line is still plenty stable and p-lines beat up and get flippy.

My favourite type of PD is somewhere around 7/10 beat ~170g S-line. Stable enough for even winds but not too stable robbing you of distance, oozing with control whether you back or forehand it, throw it less than 100% or really lean into it. Having said that, there are spots in the bag for other type of PDs (be it US or OS).

They go down to 150. I have a 158 S-Line that I can't wait to try.

Discgolfcenter for the longest time had sub 160 S-PDs. I have 4 FR S-PDs that are 150-156, and one Freak stamp S-Line that is 158. The 158g is almost as beefy as my max weight CFR C-PDs.

Are they the test config or just super beefcake? That's nuts, those first run C PD's are no joke.

I have 4 FR S-PDs that are 150-156, and one Freak stamp S-Line that is 158. The 158g is almost as beefy as my max weight CFR C-PDs.

I too got one of those regular configuration, super flat, 158g S-PDs from DGC last year. It is just silly overstable. Even at 158g, it is my headwind disc. My 167g 2nd run C-line is way more workable. I was hoping for good HSS but a disc that I could get some distance out of without being a meathook. I guess I need to look for one of the red mid 160s S-PDs that Kodachrome was talking about.

Last edited:
I have a 150-something that I got from DGC that is stupid overstable too. It definitely has a different flight plate than my normal PD's, but I don't think it fell into the same sort of mold category as the test configs did.

It's pretty much worthless to throw, but every once in a while I throw it back into the bag just to see what it'll do. The results never change. It's a couple ticks of overstability away from being a boomerang. :p

I recently received a C-pd + from someone in a trade, and it's much more overstable than the C-PD i had before (One of the pearly regular non plus ones). I Definitely prefer the more straight overstable C-pd's, are the new JL PD's closer to the meathook + mold i have or the straighter regular mold i had??

I guess I need to look for one of the red mid 160s S-PDs that Kodachrome was talking about.

yeah, PDs are kinda all over the place. even the SPD. at GGGT alone there's SPD that feel like PPD, have domes and have similar PLH, it's gross. the ones i'm talking about have patent #, all marked S-PD, all red, all marked at 168g. i've found them at 3 different retailers around me. instantly my favorite fairway/distance driver out of the box. forward fade, good HSS but will ride a hyzer line until the end. super point and shoot but goes a long way. not a "wind fighter" but definitely holds up to wind well.

i know it's silly, but yeah. i've done a lot of wandering around checking out SPD. my white SPD are also 168g, have patent numbers, are marked S/PD instead of S-PD, and they are pretty much a CPD in terms of overstability.

i've also seen yellows that match the whites. both are pretty flat and OS.

i'm going to be going to different retailers, looking at patent/non patent as well as the SPD, S-PD, S/PD markings on the bottom to see if i can make any sort of distinction. my guess is no, it's 99.9% a goose chase, but it should be a fun distraction.

Latest posts