• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] predator stability

...but I seen examples of putters....not drivers(which would be far more difficult to determine because there is a little edge to compare the PLH)....

Usually shorter wings have less PLH shift which means each successive run will fly more like the previous run.

This is a big reason why fairway drivers are considered "more consistent" from run to run compared to distance drivers.

I used to think that the speed 9 and under discs are usually less stable as they get domier.
10 and up get more stable as the get domier, especially the warp speeders. This is still true in many cases but not true in others.

Now I go by PLH and I have rarely been let down... I have 1 anomaly DX Roc that has a normal height PLH but is a meathook. Apart from that disc my PLH theory has held up in every instance I've seen.

PLH has been the most consistent predictor of stability that I've seen.

I used to think that the speed 9 and under discs are usually less stable as they get domier.
10 and up get more stable as the get domier, especially the warp speeders. This is still true in many cases but not true in others.

Now I go by PLH and I have rarely been let down... I have 1 anomaly DX Roc that has a normal height PLH but is a meathook. Apart from that disc my PLH theory has held up in every instance I've seen.

PLH has been the most consistent predictor of stability that I've seen.

Hey question- not that you need to sink any more time into this, but I was wondering if you have seen any trends in the PLH as to dominess- like 60% of domey dsics have high PLH as well- or something that might help shed some light to why this rule of thumb came to be?

Sorry, that is dependant on mold geometry.
I wish I could tell you a rule and have it work correctly every time but I can't.

It is a case by case basis.

I will do some more pondering on your question tonight, though.

Sorry, that is dependant on mold geometry.
I wish I could tell you a rule and have it work correctly every time but I can't.

It is a case by case basis.

I will do some more pondering on your question tonight, though.

Haha, no worries. I just think it'd be an interesting study- I realized before I asked it that it may very well very mold to mold. If you wanted to do a case study on wraiths, I may help you in your research- you send me discs and I'll test their stability :D

Joking aside, a case study on a particular distance driver like the Wraith would be very interesting- to show a percentage of domey discs with high PLH, domey with normal, low, etc. and other variables. Maybe we could even get people to send you in their wraiths to test this out, so long as we had a system of accounting for the discs, etc.

I've already considered doing this but the only local shop is PIAS and they don't carry many examples of each disc. It would take me forever before I got a decent sampling of Wraiths (for instance).

I wish I lived near CDGS, DGC, MS, Sun King, etc. I would have started measuring a long time ago.

It's amazing how often I will pick up a buddies disc...I say"dang this thing is domie...it must be overstable to a flat one"...buddy replies...."yeah...I carry two...one for stability and the other for turn overs"

This happens all the time, as I anticipate using it as a gauge when buying discs...as it works better than trying to eyeball the differences in PLH.

PLH is true(according to the forum discussion)....but I seen examples of putters....not drivers(which would be far more difficult to determine because there is a little edge to compare the PLH)....

Maybe were both right....that is why I use the word generally...as in...."DOES NOT APPLY TO EVERYTHING"

Generally = most of the time, so common it can be counted on.

When it comes to dome vs. stability, there are no "general" rules. I understand that your personal experience has suggested otherwise, and you do not necessarily trust people on the internet who argue contrary to your personal experience. To tell you where I'm coming from may influence your opinion, maybe not, but here goes...

I've worked in 3 disc golf stores since 2003, eyeing, weighing, and throwing thousands of discs. One of my current sponsors, Clearwater Disc Golf Store, has over 10,000 discs in inventory. Out of all of these, I have found so many discs that betrayed the "domey is more stable" generalization that I would never perpetuate it a rule of thumb when selecting discs. The only use of generalizations is that they help us predict the unknown. If I used the "domey more stable" generalization, I would expect the latest run of star Katanas to be flippy...The Katana is an understable mold, and the production run are flat as pancakes. However, these discs are as overstable as an average Boss (way more than the Katana is designed for), even when thrown 400'+. What good is that generalization if it can fail so miserably in predicting the stability of new discs? However, if you compare the PLH of the new Katanas, you can see that it is much higher than the flippier Pro Katanas, hinting to the extra overstability. This generalization is useful because it holds true in novel examples.

Generally = most of the time, so common it can be counted on.

When it comes to dome vs. stability, there are no "general" rules. I understand that your personal experience has suggested otherwise, and you do not necessarily trust people on the internet who argue contrary to your personal experience. To tell you where I'm coming from may influence your opinion, maybe not, but here goes...

I've worked in 3 disc golf stores since 2003, eyeing, weighing, and throwing thousands of discs. One of my current sponsors, Clearwater Disc Golf Store, has over 10,000 discs in inventory. Out of all of these, I have found so many discs that betrayed the "domey is more stable" generalization that I would never perpetuate it a rule of thumb when selecting discs. The only use of generalizations is that they help us predict the unknown. If I used the "domey more stable" generalization, I would expect the latest run of star Katanas to be flippy...The Katana is an understable mold, and the production run are flat as pancakes. However, these discs are as overstable as an average Boss (way more than the Katana is designed for), even when thrown 400'+. What good is that generalization if it can fail so miserably in predicting the stability of new discs? However, if you compare the PLH of the new Katanas, you can see that it is much higher than the flippier Pro Katanas, hinting to the extra overstability. This generalization is useful because it holds true in novel examples.

CLAP. CLAP. CLAP.

Now if only NateDiscFlip would read this and follow it up with some snarky comment.

Last edited:

Latest posts