• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Drivers] Predictable understable driver?

I know they don't get much love on this forum but for my go to understable driver my DX Archangel is pure money. I can launch it straight out and it will fade right almost at a 90 degree angle before slowly fading back left at the end of it's flight. It works out great for me.

I know they don't get much love on this forum but for my go to understable driver my DX Archangel is pure money. I can launch it straight out and it will fade right almost at a 90 degree angle before slowly fading back left at the end of it's flight. It works out great for me.

If I want to minimize the fade before the fade is beat out of it, I just over power it a bit and keep it low.

But yea, money.

I've been out on the filed with the S-TD today.
Must admit that, even though it is beaten in, it is not very understable. Really reminds me of my soft and gummy P-PD. Slight turn and a pretty hard fade. Not really what Im looking for.
To my supprise I dicovered I had a very old and beaten in P-PD. This one is hard as a rock and very understable, so Ill have to try it out some. Maybe this is the holy grail of understable drivers. It sure turns like it was born to do that.

I use a champ Katana for this and it's a great disc, my favorite US driver.

How has the Inertia not been mentioned? In the understable slot, this disc seems to be very underrated. It's worth a look, especially due to it's controllability.

I've been out on the filed with the S-TD today.
Must admit that, even though it is beaten in, it is not very understable. Really reminds me of my soft and gummy P-PD. Slight turn and a pretty hard fade. Not really what Im looking for.
To my supprise I dicovered I had a very old and beaten in P-PD. This one is hard as a rock and very understable, so Ill have to try it out some. Maybe this is the holy grail of understable drivers. It sure turns like it was born to do that.

Maybe it's a power level thing, or mine is super beat. It doesn't seem to be bad shape though. Some of the TDs are plus molds and more OS. Is yours a plus mold?
I know that to get a straight flight from mine, it needs to be thrown almost on a spike hyzer release at 80% power. Its def a 350+ range disc for me. I use an Eagle L (170g) and Champ Leo (170) behind it for shorter distances.

Maybe the RR is the way to go for ya...

Unfortunately the Archangel only comes in DX. It won't last long in the woods. But a new one is great.

I have a CFR champ from 04 that is my profile pic. It's beating in nicely but probably has another year before it flies like its DX cousin.

How has the Inertia not been mentioned? In the understable slot, this disc seems to be very underrated. It's worth a look, especially due to it's controllability.

2nd:thmbup: Inertia is understable, predictable, long, glidey, and full of goodness.

My longest driver atm is a soft, grippy P-PD that I can throw 370-380 FT on a good rip. I love PD's and got that P-PD to beat in to complement my S-PD for the understable role.
I have thrown this P-PD for a little over a year now and it just isnt much for beating in. If I throw it with a little hyzer, it'll flip up a little, ride and fade out.
Today I tried to throw it anhyzer over a tree and expected it to hold the line but it fought out the anny every time and landed straight instead of to the right.

I have tried some understable drivers but found them all to be quiet touchy and noseangle sensitive. So the question is there a predictable, reliable non-nose-sensitive understable driver that can compliment my S-PD?

Would vote F7. Anny in a tailwind. It's the Firebird of anny.

Maybe it's a power level thing, or mine is super beat. It doesn't seem to be bad shape though. Some of the TDs are plus molds and more OS. Is yours a plus mold?
I know that to get a straight flight from mine, it needs to be thrown almost on a spike hyzer release at 80% power. Its def a 350+ range disc for me. I use an Eagle L (170g) and Champ Leo (170) behind it for shorter distances.

Maybe the RR is the way to go for ya...

I think the runs of S-TD's vary quiet a bit. Mine is allmost flat.

After reading a few posts, there seem to be agreement about that it is better to beat in a stable mold to understable. This should make it more predictable? Why?
So my really beat up rock hard P-PD should be the best option according to that theory. Ill need to check it out :)

After reading a few posts, there seem to be agreement about that it is better to beat in a stable mold to understable. This should make it more predictable? Why?

I think most discs see the majority of stability change early in their life cycle. If so, that leaves you with the sweet spot longer. Also, it seems that some discs stop losing stability at some point all together but only the most stable when new are still usable at that point. Early CE/champ Firebirds come to mind.