• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Private Course Sanctioned League Question

Arent league rounds half weighted?

No.

The only rounds that are treated differently are the most recent included in one's average, which are double counted. Otherwise every round included in one's rating is given equal weight. Or more accurately, every hole included in one's rating is given equal weight (so an 18-hole round is slightly different from a 21 or 24 or 27 hole round). One 18-hole league round is the exact same as one 18-hole tournament round.

I have wondered if a private course owner hosting a Ctier sanctioned tournament on their property can not allow someone to register for the event because they dislike the person or they are a known trouble maker or is everyone allowed on the property regardless of an event on private or public property per the sanctioning agreement? If it were an invitational event you could get around this.

Paging Herm the Lefty, paging Herm the Lefty … please report to the Exhibit Area: you're needed for Exhibit A.

Per the Sanctioning Agreement, yes, TDs can … provided they have obtained approval from the Tour Manager:

Event Notes
Please list any event notes or special conditions here and include any pertinent information that is not otherwise specified in this form. If you are seeking approval for any rules deviations or if this is an experimental format please provided as much detail as possible. [bold added]

12-15 years ago, the Competition Director approved a TD's request to refuse to register a member (paging Herm the Lefty) who had previously tresspassed on and damaged the TD's private course and had publically threatened the TD and the TD's wife at several previous tournaments that were not held on the property, and was notorious in his home region as a troublemaker.

More generally, established clubs may refuse to register otherwise eligible members who have been suspended from local series or events while under suspension, even if those events are held in public parks. In the past, Charlotte DGC has used the above provision for just this situation.

You can be banned from private property which means you couldn't play in the league.

Yet even though it's private property they still must follow the PDGA rules of the game. No dogs, gimmes, etc.

Clarification

OK, someone just showed me this thread and I feel the need to clarify a few things. I am the assistant TD for the league in question.

One, this league was not formed solely for the purpose of getting points to qualify for Am Worlds. It is, however, a nice side effect. The league became sanctioned because one of the members asked after week 1. It was looked into and decided that it was doable. My main reason for wanting a sanctioned league was to see how the course would fit into ratings. ie. what is the rating for a par round, etc. AND to get some more rated rounds. This isn't some underhanded attempt to skew ratings or cheat to get points and it never was.

Two, and please don't take this personally OP as I consider you a friend and have no desire to part ways with you. You're misrepresenting this. We have many non-pdga members in the league who aren't overly familiar with the rules and it is OUR job to help teach them and enforce the rules. When you questioned foot faults and the disc pickup you mentioned, I told you that this is something we should point out and fix. I play every league round precisely to PDGA Rules. Hell, I even play most of my casual rounds precisely to PDGA rules although you'll occasionally see me pick up my marker (if it's still the disc and ONLY during casual rounds) and throw it although I never count that second shot and play the first. All players who are unfamiliar with the rules have issues with marking their disc correctly, foot faulting, and dozens of other things until someone who knows the rules steps up and helps. I picked up a competitors disc that was right under the basket during my first tourney at Moraine years ago. I thought I was being nice, it was against the rules. I was corrected by that more experienced player and it hasn't happened since.

Third, in our conversation the primary issue you mentioned was the presence of dogs during the round. I'm well aware as a certified official that the rules state no animals. I'm also well aware that I've played at least four sanctioned rounds that I can remember outside of this league where a player on my card brought along a dog. No one complained, the TD didn't do anything. That doesn't make it right but it's reality. In this specific situation, the dog belongs to the property owner and he freely roams the property pretty much all of the time. We've had the dog approach us out on the course on days where we never even saw the owners. He's really more like the equivalent of a deer...he roams freely. On the day in question there was one other player who brought their dog and I'll fully admit that I told him it was OK since another dog roamed the course and I didn't think anyone would have an issue with it. This was my error and I'll fully own up to it.

Fourth, I don't agree with the handling of this (ie. the nastygram and the ban) but it's not my call and I can completely understand the response since you basically told him that a member of his family wasn't welcome on his own property. That doesn't make it right but I understand the mindset and how something like this could happen in anger.

To summarize, OP I seriously hope this doesn't affect anything outside of the league. I consider you a friend and I'm kind of an innocent party stuck in the middle here. I do want to point out to everyone involved that we are not a league of "rule breakers". We are a league with many new players with no tournament experience that have a lot to learn...and the handful of us with tourney experience are the teachers. The only rule I'm aware of that was being "overlooked" was the dog rule. All other aspects of the rules are being followed to the T and I wouldn't have it any other way. I hope things cool down and something can be worked out.

No.

The only rounds that are treated differently are the most recent included in one's average, which are double counted. Otherwise every round included in one's rating is given equal weight. Or more accurately, every hole included in one's rating is given equal weight (so an 18-hole round is slightly different from a 21 or 24 or 27 hole round). One 18-hole league round is the exact same as one 18-hole tournament round.

Incorrect unless something changed in the last two weeks. League rounds are counted at 50%. I believe without checking the table that for advanced you get 2 points for every player you beat versus 4 for a regular tournament.

Incorrect unless something changed in the last two weeks. League rounds are counted at 50%. I believe without checking the table that for advanced you get 2 points for every player you beat versus 4 for a regular tournament.

Points are not the same as ratings. Never have been, never will be.

You are correct that points are basically half of what you'd get at a C-tier (I even stated as such up thread). Ratings, however, are the same whether the round is part of a league, a C-tier, a B-tier, an A-tier, an NT or a major.

I am also a member of the league in question. rthelt100's post is 100% accurate. We established this league as a way for a group of friends and friends of friends that live pretty far apart to get together once a week and have some great times. When we decided to get sanctioned it wasn't to beat the system and get us all invites to AM Worlds. As far as breaking the rules, I actually took it upon myself to take the official test to help out with teaching and the enforcement of the rules once we got started. To say that we are a league of rule breaking point hoarders is very harsh and inaccurate. We are just a group of like minded disc golfers trying to have some good ole fashion fun and I'm pretty sure that isn't gonna stop whether we are sanctioned or not :)

Points are not the same as ratings. Never have been, never will be.

You are correct that points are basically half of what you'd get at a C-tier (I even stated as such up thread). Ratings, however, are the same whether the round is part of a league, a C-tier, a B-tier, an A-tier, an NT or a major.

You're correct. I misread your post obviously. My bad :)

I'm more than happy to part ways with their league, but the biggest gripe I have is that these people started this league 3 weeks ago for the sole purpose of gaining enough rounds to qualify for Am Worlds next year. If they're not abiding by PDGA rules, then a.) they shouldn't be running a sanctioned league, and b.) their rounds should not be counted towards anything. Thoughts?

For those who have been following this thread, I would like to retract my statement that the league was formed only for Am Worlds. My statement was non factual. I was upset when I wrote that statement and spoke in anger.

OK, someone just showed me this thread and I feel the need to clarify a few things. I am the assistant TD for the league in question.

Thanks for chiming in and setting the record straight.

.....for the record, I can only think of 2 people in disc golf I might want to ban. One is hundreds of mile away and there's virtually no chance it would ever be an issue. The other involves non-disc-golf matters.

I'd hate to think anyone would be a guest here, and do something so bad that would warrant expulsion. But should it occur, I'd argue that admission to the property is a separate matter from entry in a tournament; if the choice was between a requirement to allow such a transgressor on the property, and not having tournaments, it would be an easy choice.

As I said, I hope to never find out.

.....for the record, I can only think of 2 people in disc golf I might want to ban.
The hidden qualification for running disc golf events is that you have to like disc golfers. All of them. That's a trick becasue we are quite the mixed bag. At the last PDGA event I ran, there were like a dozen people I wanted to tell off and say "never come back." After I had time to think about it, I realized that I probably shouldn't run PDGA sanctioned events. So I don't.

Being a TD can be one of those things; we had a schizm in our Club so whenever you ran a Club event you instantly pissed off 1/2 the Club based on whatever "side" you were perceived to be on. The passive-aggressive hostility toward me when I was volunteering a ton of my time got to me, to the point where I just wanted to punch a bunch of those clowns in the face. When you have stuff like that going on, it takes a special kind of patience to be the guy who stands up and tries to pull all that together. After about four years of it, I wasn't that guy anymore.

As a property owner, you really don't have to have that kind of ability to smooth things over. You can be more "my way or the highway." It sounds like the OP needs to pucker up and kiss some *** if he wants to fix this particular situation.

There is a difference in how far you can push a TD and how far you can push a property owner, and as players we need to understand that if we are going to utilize private courses. Like it or not, if you go play an event at Stoney Hill and David Sauls is the TD, he has waaayyy more power and authority over what you can and cannot do than I would have as a TD running an event in a public park. You can go ahead and piss me off and there isn't a lot I can do to you. David can kick you out of the event and ban you from his property. You should probably keep that in mind when you play private courses.

hmmm... I have to agree with the above...

that is, assuming what it must take to actually go through the trouble of kicking someone off your land... and yeah, real world here so let's get real... you can cause a big fuss and get nowhere or simply go eat crow...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The hidden qualification for running disc golf events is that you have to like disc golfers. All of them. That's a trick becasue we are quite the mixed bag. At the last PDGA event I ran, there were like a dozen people I wanted to tell off and say "never come back." After I had time to think about it, I realized that I probably shouldn't run PDGA sanctioned events. So I don't.

I can easily tell someone, "If you don't like it, don't come back."

But it's a really high threshold to say, "I'm telling you not come back."

Someone would have to deliberately do major damage, steal a basket, kill a dog, go joyriding on the tractor, something pretty harsh to get me to that point.

Luckily I've never had to do either.

I can easily tell someone, "If you don't like it, don't come back."

But it's a really high threshold to say, "I'm telling you not come back."

Someone would have to deliberately do major damage, steal a basket, kill a dog, go joyriding on the tractor, something pretty harsh to get me to that point.

You are a hell of a lot nicer/more tolerant than I am.

The hidden qualification for running disc golf events is that you have to act professionally toward disc golfers. Even the ones you can barely tolerate.

FTFY.

It ain't about liking or not liking. You can hate their guts and hope they burn in Hell, but as TD, you're still required to act professionally toward them.

^nuances are nuances

Trust me when ThreePutt says he has to like you... he means it :|

Lol...I think how I burnt out was that I didn't like a lot of those guys and I eventually got tired of acting professionally toward these guys I didn't like. If I had actually liked them, acting professionally toward them wouldn't have been an act and wouldn't have been so difficult to do.

Latest posts