• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy D1 and D4 Impressions

Mike C

* Ace Member *
Gold level trusted reviewer
Sorry if there is a thread for this but I didn't see one.

I got about 5 or 6 throws in with each of these discs, FH and BH.

The plastic is extremely nice. Slightly flexible, very, very grippy for champion. They put out avery nice feeling champ style blend.

My D1 is blue and marked 172g. It flew like a Discmania DD with superior glide and distance but still what felt like a 0 HSS. Rather turn resistant but still solid D.

The D4 is marked 174g. It flew more along the lines of a Katana or worn Wraith. FH (Less power than my BH) on a hard, flat rip, it would turn over a touch, gliide a ton, then fade reliably. BH took me a few throws to dial in but once I did I was able to shape a ton of lines. Turnovers that fly low and come back at the end, huge sky turnovers that hold to the ground and some flattened hyzers. This is the longest flying disc I've thrown and I ha e never had such an effortless time hitting the 450-500' mark. I am excited to test this one in better conditions because it absolutely bombs on an 80% power throw with a touch of hyzer. It's looooong.

Excited to try each out some more. I see the D4 being the perfect compliment to my Quasars. The D1 is nice but it's pretty much a slightly shorter fresh Quasar from what I saw.

Obviously further testing will be required of each before I can really solidify my opinion of them, but so far they are both looking like solid molds.

FYI, there's flight discussion in several of the billion Prodigy threads, but you have to sort through a lot of crap to find them. A dedicated flight thread like this would be nice.

did you throw any forehand shots with the d1? i throw a 168 tournament plastic giant now for overstable max distance, i'm excited to put the d1 head to head with the giant both forehand and backhand.

did you throw any forehand shots with the d1? i throw a 168 tournament plastic giant now for overstable max distance, i'm excited to put the d1 head to head with the giant both forehand and backhand.

I've used my D1 forehand and, frankly, that's what sold it for me. I don't have a particularly long forehand. 250 feet is a good forehand and its a miracle if I hit 300. However, with the D1, I've been parking 300 foot holes without much effort. It's overstable enough to handle the torque present in my FH, but long enough that I get more distance than I do with a force, PD or firebird.

Sorry if there is a thread for this but I didn't see one.

I got about 5 or 6 throws in with each of these discs, FH and BH.

The plastic is extremely nice. Slightly flexible, very, very grippy for champion. They put out avery nice feeling champ style blend.

My D1 is blue and marked 172g. It flew like a Discmania DD with superior glide and distance but still what felt like a 0 HSS. Rather turn resistant but still solid D.

The D4 is marked 174g. It flew more along the lines of a Katana or worn Wraith. FH (Less power than my BH) on a hard, flat rip, it would turn over a touch, gliide a ton, then fade reliably. BH took me a few throws to dial in but once I did I was able to shape a ton of lines. Turnovers that fly low and come back at the end, huge sky turnovers that hold to the ground and some flattened hyzers. This is the longest flying disc I've thrown and I ha e never had such an effortless time hitting the 450-500' mark. I am excited to test this one in better conditions because it absolutely bombs on an 80% power throw with a touch of hyzer. It's looooong.

Excited to try each out some more. I see the D4 being the perfect compliment to my Quasars. The D1 is nice but it's pretty much a slightly shorter fresh Quasar from what I saw.

Obviously further testing will be required of each before I can really solidify my opinion of them, but so far they are both looking like solid molds.

Ahhh, your description and everything else I've read about the flight of the D4 is making me excited to start throwing mine once it arrives. I'm counting on it eventually replacing my Havoc for max D, granted it flies the way you've led me to imagine.

Not that impressed with the D1 except for torqued anhyzer sky shots. Trying to throw flat with any power and with any intention of going for distance, I just cannot generate the snap necessary to throw farther than my Leopard or Rival. The issue is the tremendous HSS along with the Easy Release Technology (which is more like Early Release Technology).

However, if I can get that open field line, man did it go for me.

The D4 has a tad tick less HSS than what I am looking for in regards for going for accurate distance when throwing flat and low. However, it seemed much more workable than the D1. With the wide rim and Easy Release, I cannot throw this with any workable hyzer with snap.

If the feel remains the same throughout their molds, I am looking forward to the D3.

Yep, it seems like a good choice for OS distance. For most FH distance shots I'd prefer a Volt or beat Quasar, but the D1 would be good for skip shots, headwinds, people with some OAT in their FH etc.

Not that impressed with the D1 except for torqued anhyzer sky shots. Trying to throw flat with any power and with any intention of going for distance, I just cannot generate the snap necessary to throw farther than my Leopard or Rival. The issue is the tremendous HSS along with the Easy Release Technology (which is more like Early Release Technology).

However, if I can get that open field line, man did it go for me.

The D4 has a tad tick less HSS than what I am looking for in regards for going for accurate distance when throwing flat and low. However, it seemed much more workable than the D1. With the wide rim and Easy Release, I cannot throw this with any workable hyzer with snap.

If the feel remains the same throughout their molds, I am looking forward to the D3.

The D4 is something I'd use more for aired out shots I'd imagine, but powered down some it would be great for low, long straight shots and slight turnovers. I can see this disc being extremely useful for a long wooded course like Portage Lakes State Park.

What's easy release tech?

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not a plus rim. It's the mold line being moved away from the under side of the rim so your fingers don't drag across the mold line on release. It also feels like the mold line is angled somehow. I can't really feel it if I run my finger across the mold line AWAY from the center. But I can feel it if I run my finger across it TOWARDS the center.

Yeah, it's not a plus rim. It's the mold line being moved away from the under side of the rim so your fingers don't drag across the mold line on release. It also feels like the mold line is angled somehow. I can't really feel it if I run my finger across the mold line AWAY from the center. But I can feel it if I run my finger across it TOWARDS the center.

Now I am curious whether it really does affect release or just creates a placebo affect. In general I have given up on wide-rimmed drivers but I will still throw the Canon for wide-open drives.

I threw the Canon back to back against the D1. Again, I already do not have the greatest of responses with wide rimmed drivers, but I had cleaner level drives with the Canon versus the D1 (Side note, I understand they have different stabilities and thus different end results, but I was just comparing how they came out of the hand and what they do compared to what I expected they should do). When I took out the D4 the next day, I found that I was able to throw it a little better flat than the D1, but the Canon still came out better. However, release is slightly different than results because when I did get ahold of the Prodigy discs, they did perform a little better.

+ rim I dont think so. Where you would normally find a 90 degree angle where you grip the rim, its rounded. Thatts all. Not slanted. Rounded for easy release.

Im a world champion because I won one tournament. Worlds. Im a tour champion because I traveled acrosss the country and beat everyone over the course of the year. Id rather be the tour champ.

Latest posts