• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Prodigy] Prodigy Market Survey

How Many Prodigy Discs Are In Your Bag

Votes: 341 73.5%
  • 1-2

Votes: 71 15.3%
  • 3-4

Votes: 21 4.5%
  • 5-6

Votes: 11 2.4%
  • 7-8

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 9+

Votes: 14 3.0%

• Total voters
I voted 1, I carry an M1, I found it was longer than my drone, but the same flight.

I own d1-4 and a few of the fairways. My kid putts with a PA4, and bags an M4 and a F7 I think.

The iron-y in this is that ball golfers likely prefer hitting a 5-iron versus a Chippy with a paisley shaft, although maybe they've never been asked. I suspect a Titlist Pro V1 would continue to outsell the red polka dotted Ballyhoo ball, although maybe they've never been asked.

Wrong or not, my perception from their marketing, is that Prodigy is a boutique, elitist, disc maker, for top pros. Whereas someone like MVP is a boutique disc maker for beginner to mid-level DGers that have the money to buy good quality discs (at least in a durability sense). I fit the later, but not the former. Then after throwing Prodigy discs, the plastic didn't appeal to me, and they were a bit more overstable than I expected, so I lost interest in giving them a chance. Plus, with so many options for Discs, unless you find a real gem (like my MVP Volt) you end up wanting to go with the long timers with trusted discs, at least I do.

The only reason I tried Prodigy was because I felt bad for how Innova was treating Will, or just the plight of poor Pro DGers in general, and the story I heard about why Will joined Prodigy made me want to give them a chance.

But at this point, the sympathy has worn off. If I'm gonna give a newer manufacturer a chance, I'd rather go with Legacy, who seems to be more down to Earth, and has a lot of really good Pro DGers from California joining them. Plus my Icon Patriot flies great from the first use, and is getting better as it wears in, so I have a Disc from them I already know I like.

I think the biggest issue is the lack of any real flight numbers. All we know is that lower numbers are more overstable and higher numbers are more understable. But that's not enough for us to put them onto a flight chart to decide which particular mold will fit best in our bags. It works well if, for instance, you want to try a brand new lineup of mids, you could get the whole line. But if you have a hole in that slightly overstable mid slot, you have no idea which M# fits that hole in your bag without doing a bit of research first.

This. I was trying to figure out which fairway driver(s) I could use to replace my old Teebird/Leopard combo. Some people say the F5 is the right replacement for a Leopard, others say an F7. Then some people claim their F5's are overstable, and some others complained that their F3's were flippy. I basically had no idea where to start. I bought a Patriot instead.

I carry a 400 M4 and 300 F1. I also have a D4 I sometimes throw for fun, but it is above my arm speed.

I really like the F1. Sits nicely between my XXX and Teebird. Great in the wind and I really like the 300 plastic.

The M4 works pretty good as my US mid, but I would probably try something different in the future.

I don't really care about marketing, stamps, names, etc. to make disc decisions. All that matters is how it work for me. But their business model of focusing on the "Pro Level", when this is clearly a rec, amateur driven sport doesn't seem like smartest of strategies. The increased price point for something that average players might not notice also hurts when you consider how penny pinching DGers can be.

Zero. But I haven't bought a new mold in like 2-3 years, so that's true for most manufacturers these days.

Now that they have the H and X series I could probably bag all Prodigy if I wanted to I like some of their discs.

But I don't bag any, and have sold all of the first runs that I had, and didn't make a profit. Around here their fanboys and employees have hurt them some, but the events they have been running seem to help.

They are just boring, almost every disc in my bag looks really cool and is has a name that I like. I know it's stupid sounding but when I park a 375 for FH hole and someone says,"wow, what did you throw there?"

I feel way cooler saying Firebird, than H1.

I know the naming thing and the small, clean stamps are part of their aesthetic, but honestly there are discs I bag because they look cool and unusual. I could bag an F7, but I keep the Hu in the bag so I can see that funky 9 tailed fox whenever I throw a roller.

If I were a top pro and thought that making the sport more professional was the best way to grow it, I would probably like Prodigy. But part of the reason I play is for the whimsy and extremelu fm absurdity of it all.

We are a bunch of(mostly) grown people, throwing frisbees in the woods, if you dont do that for the pure joy of it, your like the kid that wanted o be an accountant growing up.

Yea, we stopped selling Prodigy after our Initial full order with Prodigy took about a year and a half to sell. Us along with a lot of other WI Dealers are pulling Prodigy from our stock because it does not sell and because of their bad Customer Service.

I like throwing big turn-overs with the PA4 or for throwing straight finesse shots but the rest of their discs were like a box of chocolates in regards to not knowing what you're going to get.

It doesn't seem to be holding MVP back, and their Neutron stamps are about as boring as you'll find anywhere. I really think there are a variety of reasons to dislike Prodigy, as opposed to a single reason or even just a couple. Due to this you see 75% of the respondents to the poll not having a single Prodigy disc in their bag.

I think MVP discs look great. Maybe it is the overmold, or the color choices, or whatever, but they just look a lot better than Prodigy to me. And now with Axiom, Plasma plastic, etc. they are just getting sexier and sexier - to look at anyway ;)

They are just boring, almost every disc in my bag looks really cool and is has a name that I like. I know it's stupid sounding but when I park a 375 for FH hole and someone says,"wow, what did you throw there?"

I feel way cooler saying Firebird, than H1.

Hate to break this to you, but you're playing "frolf." No matter what name is stamped on the disc you're throwing, it's not going to make you look "cool."

:eek:

I know allot of locals throw prodigy because of Cale and Alex being big name. But the discs are on average a few bucks higher than other makers which is why I could never pull the trigger.

PA4 is an amazing disc. Too bad the Prodigy base plastic is made of cool whip and imagination. M4 when you can get one to fly as it's supposed to is also a GREAT disc.

I throw none of these though. Aero in old stiff DX is infinitely more durable than my 300s PA4 and flies basically the same lines with less LSS. M4 is just too inconsistent.

I've got a PA3 in the bag, but it will eventually be replaced with a Medium Zero Pure. The only reason I have the A3 it is the place I bought it (Killer B Disc Golf) didn't have any Pures in stock and I wanted to try a Prodigy disc and the PA3 seemed to fit the same slot. The disc is nice, but the plastic doesn't seem to have good durability to it (it's just normal 300) and I really want to try throwing a Pure.

Had to dump it after a year, couldn't give it away (literally!).

It's really odd. I've seen folks select DX discs over premium Prodigy discs when given the choice of a CTP/Raffle etc.

Prodigy will be gone in a few years. I hate to say it bc they do have amazing blends and solid molds but I just do not see the love out there for them.

Hmmmm... they seem to be doing well from sales standpoint from what I have seen. Might be the proximity to Louisville and Dave, though.

On a side note.... their baskets are doing very well. Maybe they will head more in that direction.

Latest posts