• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Progress on course in Prescott,AZ?

discgolfkyle

Birdie Member
Has there been any progress on the proposed course at Goldwater Lake? I'm just curious and I really hope they get a permanent course in Prescott with baskets. They need it. Thanks.

I believe there is a camp in Prescott with a disc golf course with baskets.

Any new updates from anyone in the area? I would like to take a day and play the courses in Prescott in December maybe if there isn't snow. Any updates would be grand for Watson Lake.

I actually just read today that the baskets and pads were just ordered. No news yet on install date.

Anyone know how hard it is to get on the private courses in prescott?

Lion, you should hit me up when you're heading to Prescott. I love playing the courses up there, and I'd be down to meet and show you a couple of the unlisted courses in Prescott. I don't know of any private courses, however. Perhaps you could share some of your knowledge on unlisted courses in AZ :thmbup:

I don't have any substantial updates on Watson Lake, but like Hammer said, I know they're getting close.

I'd be down to meet and show you a couple of the unlisted courses in Prescott. I don't know of any private courses, however. Perhaps you could share some of your knowledge on unlisted courses in AZ

Are most of the unlisted courses object/tone pole courses or just well hidden baskets?

I messaged you about 4 courses there in prescott, 3 unlisted. Let me know. I'm thinking a Saturday in December would be nice to play all 6 courses in Precott if possible.

Lion, you should hit me up when you're heading to Prescott. I love playing the courses up there, and I'd be down to meet and show you a couple of the unlisted courses in Prescott. I don't know of any private courses, however. Perhaps you could share some of your knowledge on unlisted courses in AZ :thmbup:

I don't have any substantial updates on Watson Lake, but like Hammer said, I know they're getting close.

Are most of the unlisted courses object/tone pole courses or just well hidden baskets?

Just like School House Gulch, they're object courses with the target trees marked with a band around the trunk.

Speaking of well hidden baskets....my buddy's aunt was biking on some trails 10mi west of Thumb Butte, and off the small bike trail she spotted a basket installed in the ground! We went to go check it out, and there are a handful of basic teepads lined by rocks all over the area. We didn't find any additional baskets, though. I just found it totally odd that this basket was chillin' out in the forest, waaaaay off the beaten path.

Last edited:
The few I know of in Prescott. Only one listed on DGCR.com

School House Gulch - Solid course. Transforms into a very good course when playing the alternate (long) tees. The long tees probably double the total length. Nice and challenging! Best in town, in my opinion, and the only one I've seen other players at.

Watson Lake - 9, possibly 18, holes course with baskets and cement teepads. Original completion date was Late Oct / Early Nov, but has been pushed back. Should be soon! :clap:

Thumb Butte - 18 holes. Good course that utilizes elevation very well. Currently rough and overgrown, but worth a visit. This course is almost impossible to describe its location, but basically it's on Thumb Butte Rd. west of town where it turns into dirt. Follow that for about 2mi. and there's a small shoulder to park on under a low hanging tree. Hole #1 is about 200yards south of the road. There's two large tee boxes lined with stone that mark the first hole. Also, the target trees are hard to see and need to be touched up badly. I'd say this one requires a guide

Skyline or Iron Springs - 18-holer at the SE corner of Iron Springs and Skyline roads. Small parking lot here next to huge boulders. This one is similar to Thumb Butte in that it's raw and overgrown. Fun layout, good distance, mix of shots, target trees easy to find.

Supposedly, there's a 9-holer behind the Wal-Mart on Iron Springs Rd, but I've only heard this from two people and I've never been there myself.

Prescott has three 'primitive' courses(School House Gulch, Thumb Butte and Skyline) and one semi-private 9 basket course. It is at a camp, but you are allowed to play there during the week providing there aren't children about. The course itself is short. Think: midrange/putting practice short, with no 'hole' over 250', and some less than 100'. It's challenges lie in it's location: a steep and heavily wooded hillside. Whereas the baskets are very nice, there are only markers for the tee-pads which makes them hard to locate at first(I still haven't found #9). If anyone wants to throw a round I'd be happy to guide them around Prescott's courses sometime.

Blackcat- Thanks for the info, and welcome to the site. What camp is this 9 holer at? Is that the one Chilis may be talking about? I know of a camp near groom creek, would it be that one?

I called the city and they said that they were planning on having the course at Watson Lake in by or on December 21st. Hope that helps. Is the semi private 9 holer the one at Yavapines camp? I've been trying to get on the course at Emanual Pines camp in Prescott to. The targets at Emanual pines look like teatherball type design. A pole with steal chains hanging from it. I hear there are 4-5 camps in prescott with disc golf courses just haven't been able to get through.

The camp IS off Copper Basin, on Pearlstein road(a right). The caretaker will most likely want to talk. His name is Dave. He has a tendency to hover but he's the boss, so best show respect. Don't bother carrying any drivers, it's that short. The course zig zags up and down the hill along the road. The tee-pads are poorly marked with orange plastic rebar caps. After #4 you'll have to cross the outdoor auditorium to get to #5. #7's tee-pad is uphill of #6's basket and is a blind 200' shot off to the right a bit. Beware the thorns. For Christ sake! Beware the thorns! If there was ever a hole made for a thumber, #7 is it. Having never found #9's tee-pad I play the #9 basket from #8's tee-pad(straight downhill towards the road). Enjoy.