• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] Prometheus

Disc Nation had a bunch for pre-order with Zam's sick stamp. You may want to check them out.

Thanks a lot. Just ordered 2. One for me and my best friend! He loves wide rimmed drivers and has always said he wishes they were wider. Really curious to see what we can do with this disc.

They will be receiving about 250 more this week as well as Sun king, D-town disc golf, everyday disc golf, and a bunch of others have or will have them. Btw 188g Prometheus was thrown over 700ft at an A tier this weekend, wait until they get in the 170s....

Who threw that bomb? Was it flat, downhill? My interest is piqued because that is a huge throw

Review or Prometheus 184 through 188:

I'm going to break this down in three parts. First who I am and where I'm coming from. Then my initial impressions and lastly my more in depth review.

You should know that I'm a 150 class thrower for the most part. My main two discs are a 150 Flat TB and a 172 rhyno. I also have a 150 FAF Firebird, mamba, and valk. On bigger open holes I'll throw a 150 blizzard boss and get a few extra feet, but I'm nowhere near as consistent with it. I get about 330' pretty consistently and pretty accurately with my teebird and my rhyno is my main disc for 200 and under. Bigger rims just don't do it for me normally. They feel awkward in my hands as I'm a 5'3" individual. I use the valk for hyzerflips that end with a fade and I use the mamba for hyzerflips that end to the right. This is because my forehands are just lacking all around. The only discs I'm "ok" at forehanding are an ion and teebird. I can get the teebird around 150-200 with some confidence as to what the flight will look like. And the ion pretty confidently straight at under 50 feet. I can also hammer around the 250 mark with confidence.

Ok now that you know the kind of player I am and can mildly infer my skill level, I'd like to talk about my order. I received 30 of these discs. Of these discs about 20 were 188 and the rest were 185 or 186 with one 184. They were all very consistently the same discs with the same plh and dome. Only two discs had different domes and they were FLAT (both 188's unfortunately). The domes were all there, but not super domey. The craziest thing I noticed was how different the 188's looked from the others in terms of opaqueness. The 188s were all much more opaque and a slight shade darker than the rest. They still felt the same flexiness though. Of the 30 I kept a 184, 1 185, 2 186's, and a few 188's because most people I ordered for wanted the lighter weights and I didn't want to hoard them or prevent people from getting what they wanted.

Now this put me in a slightly unique situation to others because when I went to field test these, I went out with 6 and was able to do a crap ton of throws with them at varying weights. The 184-186 all flew remarkably similar with a slight bit of turn, tons of glide and a fade when thrown RHBH. I was getting these out to about the same distance as my blizzard boss normally goes, BUT I was getting them in a grouping of 10 feet in diameter. I was pretty impressed with that considering my boss can range out 70 or so feet in difference. When I tried to forehand them, I was also quite impressed with how comfortable they felt even though I never feel comfortable with wide rim drivers ESPECIALLY forehand. I was getting the disc out to 250 with reliable results. Now where the discs really excel though is rollers. I'm not super consistent with rollers, but I'm not terrible either. If there is a mowed lawn and plenty of distance to cover, I'm no stranger to tossing a backhand roller. What was nuts was that I had easily a 450 foot roller that went WAY past the basket I was aiming for that I'm never able to obtain normally. Mind you, this is all for the 184-186's… The 188's however… God… what an overstable beast of a disc man… I mean seriously. I tried to do a backhand roller with one and it flexed out before touching the ground and flew another 200 feet... left. I also tried throwing a forehand roller with some success and some absolute fail. If I had any kind of release angle instead of perpendicular it would flex out before touching the ground and just levitate over the ground sweeping left until it faded into a disgusting tragedy of a shot.

All in all… I'm excited for a lighter one. When I first called about these discs months ago, the weight range was thought to be between 160 and 189. I REALLY hope that a 160 does get produced, but shoot… I'll still probably buy a 170 if that's all that comes.

Review or Prometheus 184 through 188:

I'm going to break this down in three parts. First who I am and where I'm coming from. Then my initial impressions and lastly my more in depth review.

You should know that I'm a 150 class thrower for the most part. My main two discs are a 150 Flat TB and a 172 rhyno. I also have a 150 FAF Firebird, mamba, and valk. On bigger open holes I'll throw a 150 blizzard boss and get a few extra feet, but I'm nowhere near as consistent with it. I get about 330' pretty consistently and pretty accurately with my teebird and my rhyno is my main disc for 200 and under. Bigger rims just don't do it for me normally. They feel awkward in my hands as I'm a 5'3" individual. I use the valk for hyzerflips that end with a fade and I use the mamba for hyzerflips that end to the right. This is because my forehands are just lacking all around. The only discs I'm "ok" at forehanding are an ion and teebird. I can get the teebird around 150-200 with some confidence as to what the flight will look like. And the ion pretty confidently straight at under 50 feet. I can also hammer around the 250 mark with confidence.

Ok now that you know the kind of player I am and can mildly infer my skill level, I'd like to talk about my order. I received 30 of these discs. Of these discs about 20 were 188 and the rest were 185 or 186 with one 184. They were all very consistently the same discs with the same plh and dome. Only two discs had different domes and they were FLAT (both 188's unfortunately). The domes were all there, but not super domey. The craziest thing I noticed was how different the 188's looked from the others in terms of opaqueness. The 188s were all much more opaque and a slight shade darker than the rest. They still felt the same flexiness though. Of the 30 I kept a 184, 1 185, 2 186's, and a few 188's because most people I ordered for wanted the lighter weights and I didn't want to hoard them or prevent people from getting what they wanted.

Now this put me in a slightly unique situation to others because when I went to field test these, I went out with 6 and was able to do a crap ton of throws with them at varying weights. The 184-186 all flew remarkably similar with a slight bit of turn, tons of glide and a fade when thrown RHBH. I was getting these out to about the same distance as my blizzard boss normally goes, BUT I was getting them in a grouping of 10 feet in diameter. I was pretty impressed with that considering my boss can range out 70 or so feet in difference. When I tried to forehand them, I was also quite impressed with how comfortable they felt even though I never feel comfortable with wide rim drivers ESPECIALLY forehand. I was getting the disc out to 250 with reliable results. Now where the discs really excel though is rollers. I'm not super consistent with rollers, but I'm not terrible either. If there is a mowed lawn and plenty of distance to cover, I'm no stranger to tossing a backhand roller. What was nuts was that I had easily a 450 foot roller that went WAY past the basket I was aiming for that I'm never able to obtain normally. Mind you, this is all for the 184-186's… The 188's however… God… what an overstable beast of a disc man… I mean seriously. I tried to do a backhand roller with one and it flexed out before touching the ground and flew another 200 feet... left. I also tried throwing a forehand roller with some success and some absolute fail. If I had any kind of release angle instead of perpendicular it would flex out before touching the ground and just levitate over the ground sweeping left until it faded into a disgusting tragedy of a shot.

All in all… I'm excited for a lighter one. When I first called about these discs months ago, the weight range was thought to be between 160 and 189. I REALLY hope that a 160 does get produced, but shoot… I'll still probably buy a 170 if that's all that comes.

Good review, you must have had a few of the 20 or so test overstable versions mixed in. We did have one box of about 20 discs or so get mixed in by the QC guys, they were all 188g and VERY overstable. The lighter ones are money though.

Last edited:
Good review, you must have had a few of the 20 or so test overstable versions mixed in. We did have one box of about 20 discs or so get mixed in by the QC guys, they were all 188g and VERY overstable. The lighter ones are money though.

overstable versions?

good to know, i guess. i throw 400' max and couldn't get my 188 to do anything.

overstable versions?

good to know, i guess. i throw 400' max and couldn't get my 188 to do anything.

Yes, Very few may have went out during shipping. However it is difficult with this disc to describe the flight because there hasn't been anything like it our there before. I was showing guys yesterday that if you don't snap and strong arm the heavier versions you are going to get an early fade, especially if you throw nose up which most players do. If you slow it down and spin it then you get that outer edge rotating giving the disc a ton of glide and it's intended flight path.

The lighter versions will be great for guys with less snap.

Personally I throw it a ton forehand and for control backhands. I will post a few videos of backhand and forehand shots with a couple of near aces off the basket.

This is why I disagree with flight paths and flight numbers, someone can throw with tons of arm speed and no spin and it'll be stable, then a guy with low arm speed but throws with tons of spin can turn a disc over, the only true way to determin all of this is with a shot tracker or golf swing monitor, so yes the flight path maybe correct for someone who throws with the correct amount of spin and arm speed and launch angle, but a destroyer could also have a straight flight path for someone with a ton of arm speed and spin.

Last edited:
The is why I disagree with flight paths and flight numbers, someone can throw with tons of arm speed and no snap and it'll be stable, then a guy with low arm speed but throws with tons of spin can turn a disc over, the only true way to determin all of this is with a shot tracker or golf swing monitor, so yes the flight path maybe correct for someone who throws with the correct amount of snap and arm speed and launch angle, but a destroyer could also have a straight flight path for someone with a ton of arm speed and spin.

Well said! Best bet is to go out and try different discs from different companies. The beauty of disc golf is that the sport is relatively cheap to play and trying different discs is nothing in comparison when buying new clubs, racquets, of comparative sports.

I ordered two form Disc Nation. One stamp of each. One to throw one to bag.
I called to see when they may go out and she said they were hoping to get some in at the first of the week.

I got my three from the group order today.

They're identical as far as I can see and measure, and both a bit flatter and more consistent than the two test ones I've previously talked about.

I'll shoot videos as soon as I can. Looking forward to them… as well as looking forward to a 170g version. :)

I'm about to update our page for the 4th time, pushing back the expected arrival date to about 2 months late. Should I even bother? C'mon, those discs aren't coming in October... be real.

I should have a video up late tonight or tomorrow AM. I wanted to throw it a few more times, I felt like I was clicking with it more later in the evening yesterday. Nearly aced a 375' hole with it today! Got a couple of FH and BH throws and let my buddies try it a few times each.

I'm enjoying the plastic so far. I like how flexible it is.

I should have a video up late tonight or tomorrow AM. I wanted to throw it a few more times, I felt like I was clicking with it more later in the evening yesterday. Nearly aced a 375' hole with it today! Got a couple of FH and BH throws and let my buddies try it a few times each.

I'm enjoying the plastic so far. I like how flexible it is.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it flies for you.

Ths video turned out nicely, it's saving right now. Backhand, forehand, thumber, turbo and an ace run or two.

The disc comes out of the hand very fast, and flew roughly like a speed 14-15 Eagle X for me. Stable under 400', past that I got a mild high speed turn with a strong, reliable fade. Took some getting used to, but my second day with it it flew perfect from the first rip. I think this would have incredible distance potential once seasoned. As it is I had plenty of pin point 375-425' drives with it and a handful of longer rips.

Latest posts