• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed rule changes for 2024

I agree with the above. I am not generally in favor of restricting the choices of a TD. Do D Tiers offer less points per win/tie? If so, this is ANOTHER reason I am not really pleased with this.
from the announcement:

"The new D-Tier is a sanctioning format for a one-round, one-day event. Non-members may play in D-Tiers by paying the $10 non-member fee. D-Tier events will not count toward the Global Masters Series rankings. The sanctioning fee, per-player fees, and points factors will all be the same as a C-Tier.

Additionally, this new Tier solves a problem with flex start events. Flex starts violate 1.06.B's current requirement that groups be random or by rating. New provisions in CM 1.06.B and 1.14.C will expressly make the flex start format legal, but only at D-Tier and League levels. This means flex starts are not permitted at any other Tier.

The new tier setup is eliminating the middle ground. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Everyone keeps scores? I certainly think everyone should take their turn keeping scores, but not sure he purpose of having everyone do so. Definitely has the potential to slow things down.

one of the BEST things about disc golf is retained. That "thing" is the mixing of divisions - the positive aspects of mixing divisions is huge and many.

The mixing of skill levels, tournament / rules / etiquette experience, people / personalities, ages, genders and much more has been the heartbeat of disc golf since its inception - IMO. This is where players learn from - in so many ways. (Leagues, in my opinion, are not the place the above is learned, quite the opposite seems to be the overall results)
I'm not sure how your local scene feels about it, but mixing divisions is pretty universally hated in mine. I play FPO, and at one event the TD tried to stick me with FP75 players. Not playing with other players in my division keeps me from seeing how my competition is doing in real time, and potentially adjusting my shot selection for more aggression if there's an opportunity to capitalize. Without that, my only option would be to run everything, which could mean taking needless risks, and putting myself in a worse position if they don't pay off.

If players want an opportunity to learn from higher skilled players, there is every opportunity to do so in league or D-tier rounds, or unsanctioned/casual play. It shouldn't be on the shoulders of competitive golfers to potentially handicap rounds they've paid good money for, that will affect their ratings, and potentially provide them substantial winnings, to teach people in lower divisions. That is the antithesis of competitive golf, and is far more appropriate in settings where there's nothing on the line.

Overall number of events is significantly up, overall number of players is significantly up, number of players per event is flat.
Number of players per event is always going to remain pretty flat, since it's a function of the number of holes on the course. Multi-day events without a shotgun start can alleviate this to some extent, but there's always going to only be so many players you can fit on a course, without causing backups - which every TD should be trying to avoid.

The new tier setup is eliminating the middle ground. Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Everyone keeps scores? I certainly think everyone should take their turn keeping scores, but not sure he purpose of having everyone do so. Definitely has the potential to slow things down.
I think the use of cell phones to keep score might be a reason for this rule going into effect. The existing rule (808.b) is that everyone takes an equal turn at keeping score. This was easy when a paper scorecard was used....just pass it around. However, with scoring being done digitally, who wants to pass their phone around? And sometimes it was difficult, if not impossible, for another player to just take over the scoring on their own device.

And the use of digital scoring gave players handy excuses ("my phone is dying", "I don't have the app", "I'm too old to use technology", whatever) to not keep score, so one person would be stuck with the duties. It seemed to always be the same people weaseling their way out of keeping score.

That is what I think this rule change is intended to combat/change....now no one can have an excuse for not keeping score....everyone has to do it. I like the rule....I was on a card one time where no one wanted to keep score...my phone was actually low on power, but I did have a power pack. I ended up keeping score while everyone else was able to focus on playing (the second scorer used paper and just waited until I got the scores each hole and then copied them from me).

But I can see the possibility of abuse. Player 1...what's everyone's score? (gets the scores) Thank you. Player 3....um, what was everyone's scores again? Okay, thanks. Player 4....okay I'm ready for scores now. etc.

BTW: the player who used the "I'm too old to use technology" would show his cardmates he had a flip phone so he didn't have apps on it. Turned out someone caught him with a smartphone...he just carried the flip phone so he would never have to keep score.

4.04 Player code of Conduct.

B. All players in PDGA-sanctioned competition and tournament staff shall dress appropriately and to maintain a clean and well-groomed appearance at all event sites and associated functions.

2. T-shirts are not allowed as a player's outermost upper garment, except for competitors in Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary rounds. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or v-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials (including cotton/poly blends with wicking features) are allowed.

T-shirts not being allowed is a silly proposed rule that I don't agree with! Most everyone tries to look their best when playing in a tournament. At least I do. But not being able to wear your favorite t- shirt is silly. In addition not everyone can afford a high-performance shirt for tournament play, I'm overweight and have a few shirts that fit me anymore. I'm sure there's others that fit (or not fit) into this category. The PDGA is telling us that we can't wear an appropriate T-shirt that fits/ is our lucky T-shirt?? Will the TD have to turn away a player because their wearing a T-shirt? Crazy!!

Last edited:
While I agree....rules are always about the handful of people that need adulting. The above rules are under

SECTION 4: MAJORS AND ELITE SERIES

Which means the rules only apply to these events. I have to believe anyone playing these events has been given a dozen dri fit shirts in players packs before getting to that point.

Skamanda :"I'm not sure how your local scene feels about it, but mixing divisions is pretty universally hated in mine." I play FPO, and at one event the TD tried to stick me with FP75 players."

I've played on cards at PDGA Major with FP60s. Small divisions necessitate that sometimes. It was a fun & inclusive round. Too much on the line to be burdened with them? Can't help you with that.

Last edited:

B. All players in PDGA-sanctioned competition and tournament staff shall dress appropriately and to maintain a clean and well-groomed appearance at all event sites and associated functions.

2. T-shirts are not allowed as a player's outermost upper garment, except for competitors in Junior and Amateur divisions during preliminary rounds. Juniors and Amateurs shall not wear tee shirts during semifinal or final rounds. Crew neck or v-neck shirts made of high-performance or high-tech materials (including cotton/poly blends with wicking features) are allowed.

T-shirts not being allowed is a silly proposed rule that I don't agree with! Most everyone tries to look their best when playing in a tournament. At least I do. But not being able to wear your favorite t- shirt is silly. In addition not everyone can afford a high-performance shirt for tournament play, I'm overweight and have a few shirts that fit me anymore. I'm sure there's others that fit (or not fit) into this category. The PDGA is telling us that we can't wear an appropriate T-shirt that fits/ is our lucky T-shirt?? Will the TD have to turn away a player because their wearing a T-shirt? Crazy!!
That's not a new rule, though. When I was designing the custom jerseys for Throw Proud, that was the same text the rule used, when I checked to see if they could be collarless.

That's not a new rule, though. When I was designing the custom jerseys for Throw Proud, that was the same text the rule used, when I checked to see if they could be collarless.
Agreed. I think that rule has been worded that way since the holly finley tennis outfit stink. Like ten years ago

While I agree....rules are always about the handful of people that need adulting. The above rules are under

SECTION 4: MAJORS AND ELITE SERIES

Which means the rules only apply to these events. I have to believe anyone playing these events has been given a dozen dri fit shirts in players packs before getting to that point.
And 4.01B says:

B. Nothing in this section shall apply to any other event, except as otherwise specified in the Official Rules of Disc Golf, sections 1-3 of the Competition Manual for Disc Golf Events, or the PDGA Tour Standards.

But not being able to wear your favorite t- shirt is silly. In addition not everyone can afford a high-performance shirt for tournament play,
I have a stack of UA and Nike Pro stretchy performance tees which I sourced from local thrift shops one or two at a time, for $2-4 each. They were in like-new condition, too. Once they'd been washed to get that "thrift shop disinfectant" smell off of them, they were indistinguishable from ones bought new at retail.

You could wear a crew neck short sleeve t shirt made from crude oil (polyester) for decades at Majors/Elite. See any Nikko vid. New rule deletes the trademark terms Dri-Fit & Cool-max and now adds cotton/poly blend. What's the acceptable ratio & who measures it? It's all about visible sweat. Silly rule imo.

This is only for Majors and Elite series events. I had to look 2 or 3 times also

I have a stack of UA and Nike Pro stretchy performance tees which I sourced from local thrift shops one or two at a time, for $2-4 each. They were in like-new condition, too. Once they'd been washed to get that "thrift shop disinfectant" smell off of them, they were indistinguishable from ones bought new at retail.
This is how I've gotten my last few pairs of dg shoes. Current pair were nearly new, waterproof/breathable and only $10.

Skamanda :"I'm not sure how your local scene feels about it, but mixing divisions is pretty universally hated in mine." I play FPO, and at one event the TD tried to stick me with FP75 players."

I've played on cards at PDGA Major with FP60s. Small divisions necessitate that sometimes. It was a fun & inclusive round. Too much on the line to be burdened with them? Can't help you with that.

Yes, seems like a good inclusive way to have the age protected divisions involved. There may be times when there isn't a large population to have a full field in the age protected divisions.

Can two people use the same app to keep score?
Yes, in fact a nice thing about the PDGA Live app is what Krupicka stated. If the scores don't match, you get a pop-up alerting you to the discrepancy. The current issue (with only two people keeping score) is that if I'm keeping score on my phone and it is close to dying.....it doesn't seem like another cardmate can just log in and take over the scoring on their phone (at least I haven't seen that work yet). So by everyone having to keep score, you don't have to try to figure out how to get the app up and take over the scoring.

Yes, in fact a nice thing about the PDGA Live app is what Krupicka stated. If the scores don't match, you get a pop-up alerting you to the discrepancy. The current issue (with only two people keeping score) is that if I'm keeping score on my phone and it is close to dying.....it doesn't seem like another cardmate can just log in and take over the scoring on their phone (at least I haven't seen that work yet). So by everyone having to keep score, you don't have to try to figure out how to get the app up and take over the scoring.
If a new player logs in mid-round, the first screen they see will have little tabs across the top of the scorecard for all the other players who have been keeping score. New guy clicks on the tab for the partial scorecard from the other player, then clicks the Copy button to the right of it. That scorecard gets copied over to their phone, and they can pick up where the previous person left off.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 4.03.26 PM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-01 at 4.03.26 PM.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 0

Latest posts