• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed rule changes for 2024

If they don't look at this data right now, I'd be surprised. IT seems like it would be super easy to do internally, the data is there they just need to aggregate it. And then maybe publish some of it.
I am sure they are able to quite easily. Whether they have an interest to release this info is a separate issue. As a 501 (c) (4), they need to release financial statements, but I'm not sure if they need to go to this level of granularity.

I'm a HUGE proponent of open data, and I'd LOVE to see this, but I doubt anyone in a decision making role at the PDGA is willing to release the data to the public.
As a non-profit member organization, I'm not sure it's a great look if this is true. In other words, as members who elect governance, that data, at least in principle, belongs to the members. The PDGA theoretically governs on behalf of the members, rather than for their own ends.

I'm too lazy to go figure it out ATM, but I'd think it likely that it says as much in various governing documents, statement of mission, etc.

In order to make decisions regarding how events operate and various requirements it would seem event data analysis would be necessary to make those decisions.

In order to make decisions regarding how events operate and various requirements it would seem event data analysis would be necessary to make those decisions.
As an aside, I think recent history would indicate that this is not the PDGA's strong suit.

Now keep talking about the rules changes.

The Board approved these new rules at the June Spring Summit meeting. The minutes of that meeting were approved at the July meeting but they are still not published. Maybe someone with influence can speed the process of timely minutes reporting. I frequently send email reminders but it seldom gets results.

Pretty sure the minutes are not approved till the next meeting. I could be wrong.

Pretty sure the minutes are not approved till the next meeting. I could be wrong.
Correct. They already approved the
June minutes at July meeting so they are official now & can be published just like they have published the proposed rules that were voted on in June. Thats the vote I'm interested in.

About the rule change requiring all players to keep score, doesn't the PDGA scoring app require each player to personally approve of the score?

I wonder if players were disputing scores after the round and the card couldn't come to an agreement.
Honestly, this could still happen with each player keeping score independantly, but I think disputes would be far less likely.

About the rule change requiring all players to keep score, doesn't the PDGA scoring app require each player to personally approve of the score?

I wonder if players were disputing scores after the round and the card couldn't come to an agreement.
Honestly, this could still happen with each player keeping score independantly, but I think disputes would be far less likely.
The individual attestation part was removed when it was changed to allow for multiple scorekeepers. The app will give a nice big warning if the scorecards do not match.

The app never REQUIRED all players to approve of their score. Let's say I'm the scorekeeper using PDGA Live....the round ends and I'm ready to turn in the scores. I'm SUPPOSED to have each of you check and confirm your score (by putting in your PDGA number or last name and then clicking confirm....or something like that). But, there is nothing stopping me from confirming your score for you. And I have done that....I notified the TD of what I had done; but there was nothing stopping me from approving scores and not telling the TD. Why did I do it? I said that I needed everyone to confirm their score and one player just walked away. We called him back, but he kept going. So I approved his score, reported the issue to the TD, and got ready for the next round. Yes, I could have waited to see the TD and report the issue and then confirm and submit the information.... And yes, the TD had a talk with the other player before the next round.

The app never REQUIRED all players to approve of their score. Let's say I'm the scorekeeper using PDGA Live....the round ends and I'm ready to turn in the scores. I'm SUPPOSED to have each of you check and confirm your score (by putting in your PDGA number or last name and then clicking confirm....or something like that). But, there is nothing stopping me from confirming your score for you. And I have done that....I notified the TD of what I had done; but there was nothing stopping me from approving scores and not telling the TD. Why did I do it? I said that I needed everyone to confirm their score and one player just walked away. We called him back, but he kept going. So I approved his score, reported the issue to the TD, and got ready for the next round. Yes, I could have waited to see the TD and report the issue and then confirm and submit the information.... And yes, the TD had a talk with the other player before the next round.
This is not correct.

Which part? What he described is how live scoring worked when only one player per group was keeping score. Everyone was supposed to sign off but you did so by entering either last name or pdga number so there was nothing stopping the scorekeeper from doing it for you.
I have not seen an opportunity to enter PDGA numbers or names on PDGA live. There is a confirm scores button to submit.

I have not seen an opportunity to enter PDGA numbers or names on PDGA live. There is a confirm scores button to submit.
Currently the method you describe exists. Prior to that update, one player only could keep the "official" score card on PDGA Live and at the end of the round it required players to verify their score by entering either their PDGA number or last name. I remember having to do this multiple times when we first started using PDGA Live as a scoring option, then it was updated to where multiple people could keep score on the PDGA Live site. And the verification of scores method changed as well (no longer requiring PDGA number or last name for each card member) and replaced that with just a box check.

This is not correct.
It was very true. I'm not sure when it changed, but that was how it used to work. Then, as others have noted, you no longer needed to use the other player's PDGA number or name to make the confirmation. You just click to confirm which makes it easier to not have each player confirm their scores. And with the latest change of everyone having to keep score, confirmation may change yet again.

In 2021, individuals were supposed to sign off.

I remember an event at some point—maybe late 21 or 22, and the scorekeeper said it wasn't required, so I assume there was an update between those 2 events.

Latest posts