• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed rule changes for 2024

What I am planning on doing for my events:
  • On the paper scorecards (if someone won't/can't use the PDGA digital scorecard), add a scorekeeper checkbox column or a specific spot for them to note the scorekeeper.
  • Emphasize at the player meeting that the groups need to come as a group at the end of their round and make sure their cards are submitted correctly.
  • Ask players if they have cross checked their cards.
  • Assuming I have at least one digital card (which has already been the case for the last couple of years), I'll just check that any paper scorecards totals match the digital and nothing obvious is missing like totals or hole scores.
If 2 people have done digital I will be throwing away paper cards as long as the totals match the digital thus making the work of the paper-using players to keep score completely superfluous and a waste of both part of a tree, their time, and my own- just so we can say "well, everyone has to do it."

If 2 people have done digital I will be throwing away paper cards as long as the totals match the digital thus making the work of the paper-using players to keep score completely superfluous and a waste of both part of a tree, their time, and my own- just so we can say "well, everyone has to do it."
Careful. Dcinmd will tell on you

God I hope the people listening to the feedback at the PDGA aren't as misinformed about tournament registration as you.

This excuse of "non-members" taking spots away from members is so exaggerated it's pathetic. It happens at less than 1% of all C-tiers, and I'm probably being generous saying less than 1%, it's more like 0.5% at most.

So by catering to the 1% of whiny disc golfers who are too slow to sign up, the PDGA is going to make it that much harder for the TDs in places that don't sell out events. How many TDs will just go unsanctioned to allow anyone to play? A hell of a lot more than the ones who want members-only. I guarantee it.
When UDisc undercuts DiscGolfScene next year you'll be able to run one tournament that includes both a sanctioned and unsanctioned tournament combined. The only trick is we'd have to back enter PDGA live scores for the sanctioned players along with Udisc score keeping.

Can I do a 36 hole D-tier with a lunch break?
Maybe maybe not but one can concurrently sanction two leagues for the same sanctioning fee as one D-tier with all the freedoms of the league designation and get nine more weeks as bonus!

When Worlds was close enough to matter and people nearby were very hungry for points I ran two leagues concurrently. Effectively hosting a C-tier every weekend. Taking it to the next level I sanctioned two more leagues with a one week overlap between the first two ten-week leagues and the second two ten-week leagues. On that weekend I offered four rounds of 13 holes each to maximize point yield. Unfortunately one of the four rounds was rained out but the important thing is the PDGA didn't shut me down.

Who wants to pull similar antics and see if it can become something the PDGA does take exception to?

They register before them.
Either you didn't understand my question or I wasn't clear enough.

You said:
"Many members did / do not like that a non member can take their spot from them in C tiers."
My question is, what makes a spot at a C tier "their" spot to be taken from them?

Slightly related: I ran an event yesterday with an oddball format that required paper scorecards be used. F*ck that sh*t. I am definitely out of practice on counting in scorecards. Hopefully the PDGA will see the light and not make everyone keep score.
Well I see no reason why I couldn't do a paper card but just grab all the numbers at the end of the round off of a digital card, this I've still technically taken score but not done it all round which is the biggest problem I have with this rule. I play better when I have no idea how anyone is scoring including myself so having to keep score immediately makes me play worse. I have no idea why or how it happens but I'll be fine for a few holes and then all the wheels will fall off the wagon very quickly.

Keep showing your ignorance DC.

If you're not making income from running tournaments, it's not taxable. Period. I run my events to break even. No profit = no income. Is that too much math for you DC?

Oh so you have filled out your paper work for a IRC 501(c) then like all other non-profit disc golf clubs?

Talk about ignorance. Or have you also filled at as LLC to limit you liabilities?

As always completely clueless.

Oh so you have filled out your paper work for a IRC 501(c) then like all other non-profit disc golf clubs?

Talk about ignorance. Or have you also filled at as LLC to limit you liabilities?

As always completely clueless.
Officious.

Well I see no reason why I couldn't do a paper card but just grab all the numbers at the end of the round off of a digital card, this I've still technically taken score but not done it all round which is the biggest problem I have with this rule. I play better when I have no idea how anyone is scoring including myself so having to keep score immediately makes me play worse. I have no idea why or how it happens but I'll be fine for a few holes and then all the wheels will fall off the wagon very quickly.
I would imagine being forced to keep score regularly will help you overcome the tendency for it to ruin your game.

The rule on the table explicitly states that the scores must be taken as you go: "Each player must keep an independent scorecard recording scores after each hole for the entire group."

I would imagine being forced to keep score regularly will help you overcome the tendency for it to ruin your game.
Adding to that: So many players feel that the only thing they should be required to do is throw - but throwing isn't the whole game. Keeping score, keeping up with the group in front, enforcing rules, being nice, etc. - those are also parts of the game.

Saying that doing any of those ruins your game is like complaining that bad putts ruin your game. Advocating for automatic gimmees anywhere inside circle 2 is not how you get better at putting.

Instead of asking someone else to take away the challenging part of your game, work on the skills you need to face that challenge.

The "I don't want to participate in keeping score" guy, is likely a major reason why this rule exists. You do understand nobody wants to keep your score either, right?

Adding to that: So many players feel that the only thing they should be required to do is throw - but throwing isn't the whole game. Keeping score, keeping up with the group in front, enforcing rules, being nice, etc. - those are also parts of the game.

Saying that doing any of those ruins your game is like complaining that bad putts ruin your game. Advocating for automatic gimmees anywhere inside circle 2 is not how you get better at putting.

Instead of asking someone else to take away the challenging part of your game, work on the skills you need to face that challenge.
Adding to that: Many take on even more responsibilities....trash pick up, rules education, course insight, historian, local tour guide, club marketer, tee pad maintenance, equipment lender and if I am playing one of my own club's events, often tournament question answerer.

Is there going to be a pace of play impact with the new scoring rule?

I can see it now after holing out everybody digging out their phones and paper score cards and verifying the accuracy of the scores....right at the pin, while the next card is waiting. (some people are more aware of this than others and will try to shoo the card to the next tee for scoring)

Is there going to be a pace of play impact with the new scoring rule?

I can see it now after holing out everybody digging out their phones and paper score cards and verifying the accuracy of the scores....right at the pin, while the next card is waiting. (some people are more aware of this than others and will try to shoo the card to the next tee for scoring)
Whether it occurs at the pin in the way of the next group or not there will certainly be slower rounds based on the requirement.

Coming from a traditional golf background where every one on the card was required to keep a paper scorecard (in sanctioned events) and sign off others scorecards after verifying at the end of rounds, seeing people in disc golf have issues with having to keep score is weird.