• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Proposed rule changes for 2024

If for some odd reason my phone isn't charged or my cell service is crappy in a certain area, it shouldn't be an issue for someone else on the card to keep score.

FYI, I keep digital score 90% of the time.
I agree, but it also shouldn't be the same issue every round someone plays. You keep score 90% of the time, so you aren't who I am talking about. If I'm asked to keep score, sure, if I can't digitally, I'll do paper. It's part of the game (referring to sanctioned rounds). We all know that one person who absolutely refuses to keep score.

I agree, but it also shouldn't be the same issue every round someone plays. You keep score 90% of the time, so you aren't who I am talking about. If I'm asked to keep score, sure, if I can't digitally, I'll do paper. It's part of the game (referring to sanctioned rounds). We all know that one person who absolutely refuses to keep score.
I'm 100% that guy and I'll do it during league rounds and during casual rounds, but the moment I realize I'm playing somewhat well is exactly when my game falls off a cliff. I've tried ways to prevent it but it happens every time and there's no good solution to it besides to avoid the problem of looking in the first place.

Well I see no reason why I couldn't do a paper card but just grab all the numbers at the end of the round off of a digital card, this I've still technically taken score but not done it all round which is the biggest problem I have with this rule. I play better when I have no idea how anyone is scoring including myself so having to keep score immediately makes me play worse. I have no idea why or how it happens but I'll be fine for a few holes and then all the wheels will fall off the wagon very quickly.
Not to be rude, but what if everyone on your card feels the same? They play bad if they have to keep score.

So, it bothers some to keep score, some don't wanna do digital, TD's wanna be lazy and prefer push button results, ru4por's flip phone doesn't do digital, wolverines prejack, someone misses a putt because they have to keep score, and on and on.

Wow.

I'm 100% that guy and I'll do it during league rounds and during casual rounds, but the moment I realize I'm playing somewhat well is exactly when my game falls off a cliff. I've tried ways to prevent it but it happens every time and there's no good solution to it besides to avoid the problem of looking in the first place.
Start tricking yourself by immersing yourself in that situation. Either convince yourself independent of score you're sucking so bad there's only room to improve or you're kicking ass and you need to step it up to maintain it. Keep score for every round you play. Eventually you'll find that you can start mentally breaking it down to hole by hole and then shot by shot. Letting go of terrible shots gets easier once you get more comfortable throwing terrible shots.

So, it bothers some to keep score, some don't wanna do digital, TD's wanna be lazy and prefer push button results, ru4por's flip phone doesn't do digital, wolverines prejack, someone misses a putt because they have to keep score, and on and on.

Wow.
"Lazy"- hmmmm. I prefer "efficient." I have zero aversion to work but I have a serious aversion to unnecessary redundant work. :)

If 2 people have done digital I will be throwing away paper cards as long as the totals match the digital thus making the work of the paper-using players to keep score completely superfluous and a waste of both part of a tree, their time, and my own- just so we can say "well, everyone has to do it."
This is good, until a player complains about their score and points to their paper score card as proof of their "correct" score, which you've thrown away. They could be correct or they could be getting that penalty for an incorrect scorecard which, again, can't be proven because you've thrown out the scorecards.
I'm the guy that always ends up keeping score during tournaments. I've learned to not look at the totals. I enter the score at the next tee box and then put my phone away. I don't need or want to know anyone's score unless it's the second round and I am in the money. Then the score matter. Until then, it's me against the course.

This is good, until a player complains about their score and points to their paper score card as proof of their "correct" score, which you've thrown away. They could be correct or they could be getting that penalty for an incorrect scorecard which, again, can't be proven because you've thrown out the scorecards.

Go read the rules.

808.E If there is disagreement about the score a player reports, the group reviews the hole and attempts to arrive at the correct score. If the group cannot reach consensus on the player's score, they seek the help of an Official or the Director as soon as is practical. If all players in the group agree that a score is incorrect, the score may be corrected before the scorecard is submitted.

808.G After the scorecard has been submitted, the total score as recorded is final, except for the following circumstances:
  1. Penalty throws may be added or removed up by the Director up until the Director declares the tournament over, or all awards have been distributed.
  2. If the total score or any hole score is incorrect, improperly recorded, or missing, two penalty throws are added to the correct total score. Those penalty throws are not added when the score has been adjusted for other violations determined after the player had submitted an otherwise correct scorecard.

If the totals match the digital what would they be complaining over?

The appeal was successful because he was allowed to play the hole. Predicting a rules change that will make it not matter if someone was allowed to play the hole.

IMG_0920.jpeg

Is there going to be a pace of play impact with the new scoring rule?

I can see it now after holing out everybody digging out their phones and paper score cards and verifying the accuracy of the scores....right at the pin, while the next card is waiting. (some people are more aware of this than others and will try to shoo the card to the next tee for scoring)
You should always move to the next tee before taking scores.

The appeal was successful because he was allowed to play the hole. Predicting a rules change that will make it not matter if someone was allowed to play the hole.

View attachment 316234
just to clarify, based off of what I'm reading from that volunteer - he should NOT have been allowed to play the hole, right? as in, Nate was correctly trying to apply the rule.

811.F.5:

Absent. If a player is not present at the start of the round for their assigned group, the player is considered absent and does not play the hole. A player is also considered absent if the player has not played the previous hole and is not present when their group is ready to start on a hole. The absent player receives a score of par plus four on each hole not played. Par is determined by the Director.
(emphasis added by me)

I agree that the rule should say that it doesn't matter if the player was allowed to play the hole or not.
If the TD is not at the first tee or if it's a shotgun start, who decides whether a player can arrive late and play the hole? If it's up to the other players on the card than I bet they would let the late player "catch up".
If a TD learns about a late player after the fact he/she should penalize the player with a +4, even though the player played the hole.

Latest posts