• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Pro's using different brands of discs

If a pro is sponsored by a disc company, are they allowed to use other brands of discs? I have seen many players like Big Jerm and McBeth use discmania P2's even when they are sponsored by Innova and always wondered why/if they are allowed to use different brands other than their sponsorship?

Discmania is an offshoot of Innova. Innova's players commonly use Discmania stuff.

It would be like Discraft guys using DGA.

Most sponsored players are expected to use discs from the manufacturer they are sponsored by or an offshoot thereof. Individual deals may differ.

Gateway

Gateway has always allowed their sponsored players to use a mixed bag. However besides Nikko, there haven't be a lot of "big names" with Gateway.

They're usually allowed to use discs from related companies.

Innova folks can use Discmania, Hyzerbomb, Millenium (I believe), and Infinite (GG has a tour disc from them)
Discraft people can use DGA
Players sponsored by any of the Trilogy brands can bag any of the other two Trilogy brands
MVP's pros can throw Axiom and/or Streamline

I'm sure there are probably others.

I believe that Paul has always stated that he can use any disc he wants. And I imagine that it is their contracts that way. However if you work for a company your pretty much expected to use that company's stuff or at least their partners and subsidiaries. However if you start tossing discs from a competitor i doubt that your company will keep you around very long.

A couple of examples: I used to work for a University as an employee of the i was expected not to wear clothing featuring other Universities... (say you work at Duke, and wear UNC gear to work) Though not specifically against the rules it was very much frowned upon and while wouldn't get you fired it would hold you back. Another example i can think of is if you worked for Coca-cola and came in every day drinking Pepsi, I imagine you wouldn't be around long. Brand loyalty is a pretty substantial thing for employees of a company.

But since i am not an employee of a disc manufacturer i throw a mixed bag.
1 Axiom, 1 MVP, 2 Lat 64, 2 Westside, 4 Innova, 2 Discmania

Bradley Williams was with them for a brief while too. I got the chance to meet him when Dave Mac and crew were dropping the baskets in Highland.

He seemed like a good dude, I enjoyed getting to talk to him. That was almost 10 years ago though.

Gateway has always allowed their sponsored players to use a mixed bag. However besides Nikko, there haven't be a lot of "big names" with Gateway.

I would imagine pros can throw 1-3 discs that aren't the manufacturer. For example, if they have a putter they really like it would make the pro do better making the brand look better. I throw a mix of legacy and innova as do all of the pros near me that aren't exclusively legacy. I'm not a pro yet but soon. Probably not sponsored for a while though...

When I go pro and sponsored I'm gunna add the stipulation that will allow me to throw the Envy. I'm sure that'll be soon. 910 to pro in a year. Doable?

To OP: most can throw offshoots, maybe it's contract dependent.

I recall (from CCDG vids) that Shasta Criss, sponsored by DGA, was "allowed" to bag a Nuke (Discraft). I've never heard of Discraft pros bagging DGA, though I bet it happens.

With companies like Gateway or even Legacy, it seems logical to me that they'd allow other discs for their pros. Gateway simply doesn't have the driver selection, and doesn't seem to be aiming for it. Legacy seems to have a full selection of discs these days, but probably still not quite enough to accommodate every pro's taste.

I would imagine pros can throw 1-3 discs that aren't the manufacturer. For example, if they have a putter they really like it would make the pro do better making the brand look better. I throw a mix of legacy and innova as do all of the pros near me that aren't exclusively legacy. I'm not a pro yet but soon. Probably not sponsored for a while though...

Generally speaking, if the manufacturer's line of discs is robust enough (including "sister" brands), the manufacturer requires its players to exclusively throw their product. So Wysocki can only throw Latitude-produced discs (Lat, Dynamic, Westside). McBeth only Innova (Innova, Discmania, Millennium). Doss only Discraft (Discraft, DGA). And so on.

I only know of one case with any of those major manufacturers where they made an exception and allowed a player to bag a disc they didn't manufacture. And that, I think, was only because that particular disc was no longer produced by anyone and the player had been throwing it for 15+ years already. I very much doubt that Innova would allow a player on their team to throw a Challenger or a Harp or a PA3 or whatever.

I recall (from CCDG vids) that Shasta Criss, sponsored by DGA, was "allowed" to bag a Nuke (Discraft). I've never heard of Discraft pros bagging DGA, though I bet it happens.

I think Dion Arlon bags a Breaker or two, maybe a Hurricane. I'm pretty sure MJ used to use a Hurricane for a bit too.

Simon used to, but he has since said they have enough to cover his bag now.

I'm just saying if I were to get springs sponsored soon it would be legacy and I hope they'd let me use other midrabges because i don't live theirs