• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter advice

i used a omega for a while. i needed a new putter i was about to get a super soft omega but then i came across a soft magnet so i bought it. it really feels good in my hand and it's real grippy. after i used a soft putter i don't think i would use a different style, but everyone is different.

If you like the feel of the birdie, check out a gateway magic, got a similar rim, just not quite as flat. On top of that, the come in a bunch of different levels of softness, and they are pretty sturdy.

My preferred putter is the X Super Soft Putt'r. Very straight and consistant, grabs the chains well. I also have a Z Putt'r for short approaches (it replaced my X APX) and short steep down hill t shots.

I was pretty faithful to my classic Aviar, but then I found a Magnet on the course one day. It's a bit warped (it was under snow in the middle of a fairway, I think it got stepped on), but it's become my money putter.

Here is what I think we need to do with putters. Get a bunch of people together to pitch in and buy a bunch of different putters. Everyone will get to test any putters they wish out and then do a ring of fire competition with whatever you currently putt with to determine the order in which one will get to choose which of the discs they take home.

I know people don't like to hear this, but there are a limited number of putters that are worth using as a main putt/approach disc and some are objectively better than others. Generally, stable, but not too stable (I'm looking at you, Rhyno), beaded putters will be the most reliable for putting, approaching and driving. The Warlock is one of the few exceptions that seems to be a reliable, stable putter that doesn't have a bead. The farther out you get and the more wind you see will both show the differences and usually, shortcomings of putt and approach discs. You can use other discs, but you'll be sacrificing reliability and many times useable driving distance.

I've been using a Discraft Banger GT but I'm thinking of just using my Star Kite so I can carry one less disc. I really like the groove on the Banger tho, I'll miss it.

I recently took a few practice putts with my buddies soft banger GT. It felt good, like it fit my hand perfectly. I might have to buy one to try it out. I currently use SS Wizards.

The Soft Banger GT is just slightly more stable the the S/SSS Wizards. I recently got the S and SSS Wizard and have been using the Soft Banger GTs mostly. I like the Banger for when I'm in a putt stance and short approaches. I like the Wizard for longer throws though. Its basically the same exact mold except for the groove top. I also find the Wizard has more a little more glide though so the wind and distance dictates which I use. Although if its really windy I use the Pro Pig.

Gateway putters are great, with the exception of the Evo plastic. I carry a Wizard (long putts, slightly overstable), a Voodoo (stable, straight putts), and a Magic (understable). I found the same problem that you did with the Evo Wizard, I absolutely hate that thing.

The newer "translucent evo" plastic on some of the Gateway putters is awesome. It feels like a gummy champion disc. They feel great and are nothing like the other E plastic Gateway putters.

The Soft Banger GT is just slightly more stable the the S/SSS Wizards. I recently got the S and SSS Wizard and have been using the Soft Banger GTs mostly. I like the Banger for when I'm in a putt stance and short approaches. I like the Wizard for longer throws though. Its basically the same exact mold except for the groove top. I also find the Wizard has more a little more glide though so the wind and distance dictates which I use. Although if its really windy I use the Pro Pig.
thanks for the info

Hmmmm liking the idea that Innova will be making a "softer" version of the Pig and Ryno. As a "blowfly" guy, the softer the better when it comes to my approach discs. Already have an old pro ryno that is fairly soft, but would really like the pig to be a bit softer.
Back to the topic though, it was stated before, each person will have their own preferance as to what works for them. Best advice, go with what feels comfortable, and keep practicing. Once you find that, buy backups!

Once again, I have to toot the horn of the Magnet.

I use a 175 Pro D to putt with, and I use a 167 Soft Magnet to approach with 50ft-125ft. Both discs work great. The Soft Magnet, is the best approach disc I have ever seen. I have made lots of very long putts with mine. My brother has also just started putting with a Soft Magnet, and his putting has greatly improved, and he has made several 50-70ft putts.

Gateway putters are great, with the exception of the Evo plastic. I carry a Wizard (long putts, slightly overstable), a Voodoo (stable, straight putts), and a Magic (understable). I found the same problem that you did with the Evo Wizard, I absolutely hate that thing.

Have you tried the Warlock?

I know people don't like to hear this, but there are a limited number of putters that are worth using as a main putt/approach disc and some are objectively better than others. Generally, stable, but not too stable (I'm looking at you, Rhyno), beaded putters will be the most reliable for putting, approaching and driving. The Warlock is one of the few exceptions that seems to be a reliable, stable putter that doesn't have a bead. The farther out you get and the more wind you see will both show the differences and usually, shortcomings of putt and approach discs. You can use other discs, but you'll be sacrificing reliability and many times useable driving distance.

Safe to say if you top five'd it, the list would be?:

Wizard
Aviar
Challenger
Rhyno
Warlock?

Latest posts