• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter advice

I know people don't like to hear this, but there are a limited number of putters that are worth using as a main putt/approach disc and some are objectively better than others. Generally, stable, but not too stable (I'm looking at you, Rhyno), beaded putters will be the most reliable for putting, approaching and driving. The Warlock is one of the few exceptions that seems to be a reliable, stable putter that doesn't have a bead. The farther out you get and the more wind you see will both show the differences and usually, shortcomings of putt and approach discs. You can use other discs, but you'll be sacrificing reliability and many times useable driving distance.

Safe to say if you top five'd it, the list would be?:

Wizard
Aviar
Challenger
Rhyno
Warlock?
The Wizard, Big Bead Aviar and Challenger would be the top three. I might have to put the Warlock in that category since it seems to fly just like a Wizard to me. Just below them I'd probably rate the Aviar P & A, Magnet, Omega and Voodoo. Maybe the APX as well. Where you rate them inside those categories is a matter of preference.

It's by no means definitive. I left out some disc like the Daredevil Beaver just because the companies are so small no one has really thrown them. But if you wanted a conservative pick for a good putter, you would have to go with one of those nine discs.

Safe to say if you top five'd it, the list would be?:

Wizard
Aviar
Challenger
Rhyno
Warlock?
I wouldn't put the Rhyno up there, and I'd only put the BB Aviar on that list. I've heard good things about the Warlock, but haven't thrown one. I'm kind of with Three Putt where there is a really solid top three, then it gets more subjective from there.

I am not a big fan of the Banger. I think some people can throw it and some can't. When I am playing with people for the first time and they don't' have any discs, I always start them off with a DX Aviar P&A or a Magnet

I am not a big fan of the Banger. I think some people can throw it and some can't. When I am playing with people for the first time and they don't' have any discs, I always start them off with a DX Aviar P&A or a Magnet

That's good advice, IMHO, and many of those people will stay with the Magnet.

The banger is fantastic if you have a tendency to get "flippy" on the release. The groove forces a thumb position that makes it easier to have a consistent release. I also use a slipstream driver for dead straight drives and the groove is useful for exactly the same reason when driving.

I make a ton of longer putts with the Banger but it is virtually unusable for an anhyzer putt so I use a magnet or my rattler in those cases.

Z

Generally, stable, but not too stable (I'm looking at you, Rhyno), beaded putters will be the most reliable for putting, approaching and driving.

I always forget about the Banger.

The Banger GT is not AS overstable as the Rhyno, but I place it in the same boat...too overstable to be a reliable all-around putter. I think they have their place, but too many people I know use them to mask OAT.

The Banger GT is not AS overstable as the Rhyno, but I place it in the same boat...too overstable to be a reliable all-around putter. I think they have their place, but too many people I know use them to mask OAT.
I've never even seen one, I've just heard good things. I dislike them because the lack of carry can limit your putting range and make some really useful approach lines difficult.

Are you talking about driving or putting? I can't find anything more consistent for putting than the GT Banger and would not put it in the same class as the Rhyno or Pig. I also get a nice straight 200' drive with the GT Banger with no fade, but the soft plastic hurts my fingers driving with them which is my only complaint with it.

So when I signed up with my local disc golf club I got to choose between a few disc and took a cryztal challenger. This disc is GREAT and will probably be my main putter with 20ft or so, anything beyond that and I'll still use the birde.

Seriusly the aviar is the way to go, whichever plastic works best for you. I find the big bead is best for driving. Not to sound like a broken record, but you can't cant beat the proven record. Still the jk-aviar is bes for the colder climates, KC for extremeley hott, and i'll just say if your a straddle putter watch out baby!!!

I wonder which putter most of the past World Champions use?

:^p
Well, since the World Champion has been sponsored by Innova 17 out of the last 20 years it really takes the mystery out of that question.

I was kidding, hence the tongue sticking out.

It seems a bit dubious to take putting advice from a guy with a username "threeputt"

rofl. again, just kidding.

I was kidding, hence the tongue sticking out.

I thought the tongue sticking out was this. :p Sorry that I missed the retro low-tech tounge.
It seems a bit dubious to take putting advice from a guy with a username "threeputt"
No more dubious than expecting objective opinions on disc from a guy with a username of "innova." :p

Latest posts