• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter driving?

austinpetz

Bogey Member
How many drive with putters? If so, what putter? What distance? What are some of the flight characteristics you want or have?

Smart. What distances downhill do you throw putters for? Ive had some pretty damn long downhill shots that a putter just wouldnt cut it...

Ill use my dart for any holes around 150 - 200ft, when Im feelin frisky. Even more so in a shot where I need a steady BH Anhyzer, mostly cause my FH game is weak. Either way it holds a line well and floats a decent amount.

I drive with putters when the hole is too short to use a mid or when I want a super straight flight with little to no fade. I do use an Ion which is almost a mid. I'm comfortable using a putter out to 280ft, I can throw farther but I don't like to on course.

Last edited:
I throw putters all of the time. Zones, and Challengers mainly. If putters were instead called short range drivers everyone would throw them without question. IIt is essential for any holes that are around 200' or less.

Grip Line Spike. Drive with it up to 250. Doesn't matter to me if it's up hill, down hill or flat. The only time I don't throw it is when it has to be on a hyzer line because it doesn't hyzer well. That's what I used my Z Ringer for until the Spokane River ate it :-(

One use for driving with a putter is if you want a very controlled landing. A putter is far less likely to slide, skip or roll than a driver.

I'm not a power thrower or a distance thrower, but I drive with my Ion. It goes straight when I want, and hyzers when I want. Plus it just flies really really nice. I'm not sure of exact distances but I think I get it around 200'. I haven't really tried to throw it out there, so I'm not sure about actual distance for distance distance. Give it a chance, I think you'll like it if you give it a go.

Champ Glo BB Aviar does it for me use to throw stiff star Rhyno's but the Aviar is more versitile

Challengers and sometimes a zone.
I dont pay so much attention to the distance as much as the line i want.

I like beaded discs witb roc like flights. Theyll turn and finish softly when needed, flex back if u want em to, take the beam line, or the basic flip to flat then turn then hyzer :)

The best thing about putters is the unique lines they offer. Generally, if you have a massively overstable disc, you can't throw it on a tight line. With a putter, it takes so long to get to its lss that it can be very straight. The effect is that you can throw them straight at any power level; from 50-300'+. Also, hyzer flips that need to keep flipping the entire flight can only be achieved (easily) with a putter.

I've been silly before and thrown a putter on a 330' hole. Can't think of a reason to do that competitively ... but it was fun:thmbup:

I love driving with my FLX Challenger. I've been driving with it for like 2 years so it's beat into a very workable driving putter.

Ive only done it a couple times with my Ridge, when I need that disc to dig. But I have a Star Mano that just data ground, so there's really no reason to use a putter. But Ive seen other have a lot of success driving with puttees...mostly overmolds like MVP or even (heaven forbid!) A Graboide.

I finally got my first putter Ace today! Short little 190 foot hole, but no chains at all, just dropped right into the basket. Unless the wind is rough, anything 200 or less I'll throw a putter at. Sometimes longer than that, but if it's anything near 220-230 I'll thrown a midrange for more reliability.

I generally throw a Wizard on any shot shorter than 225' or so. Sometimes I'll try to push a putter out to 300 or so. Like lots of other people are saying, putters fly pretty straight and don't fade as hard as faster discs.

250 or less is almost exclusively a putter shot for me (Soft Anode or ESP Zone). Any longer, it's completely dependent on the type of shot/distance.

Latest posts