• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putter Madness!

NateDiscFlip

Double Eagle Member
I love my drivers, fairways, mids, and utilities. But the more I keep refining my game, I just keep finding myself with more and more putters. Anyone else find themselves needing more and more of these awesome contraptions?

Break Down:
1)Organic Wizard: GOTO
2)Soft Magnet: Soft Approach/Nasty short Anhyzer
3)Crystal Challenger: Great approach;nearly mid-range
4)Champion Rhyno: Tight approach, side arms, down hill putts, wind
5)Esp Zone: Side arm approach, backhand approach with hard finish, nasty winds.

Drive for show, Putt for plastic or $$$

What? No Aviar?!! :D No bag is complete without one! :p

It is my favorite putter so far...

Garret

Sorry, the Crystal Challenger can take a good snap.

Aviar drivers are heading in that direction of stability, but are almost too str8 for an approach putter.

If its your GOTO, which aviar is better than the wizard, especially the soft or organics?

I've found that mu putting and approach game is best with a single mold in different plastics and different stages of wear. I've got 5 wizards in the bag right now, and several backups at home.

i cant stop buying putters. every time i go into the disc shop and there is putters in the used bin i snatch em up as if they were gold. even if its just to try them out then ditch them. my home course is mostly relatively short holes but heavily wooded so it requires more accuracy than D. so i always have 4 or 5 putters in my bag.

174 meduim ion-goto and approaches
174 soft ion-uphill and short annys
173 vibram vp-driving putter and occasional hyzer putts around trees
173 ss voodoo (super stiff and grippy) wet conditions and occasional turnover drives
174 champ BB aviar- driving putter and long putts (jumps in and out of the bag with my mood)
and a bunch of others in my car just in case

I've found that mu putting and approach game is best with a single mold in different plastics and different stages of wear. I've got 5 wizards in the bag right now, and several backups at home.

i really should do this, but my go to is the ion and there is just not enough variety and they take a while to beat up.

I've done pretty well with not switching up my putters (compared to the rest of my bag anyways).

I started with XDs, moved to Voodoos when they came out, then to Ions once the non FR were released. The only thing I've done is add an XG Rhyno recently so that I can rip a putter into a headwind without worrying about turning it over.

that makes tons of sense. Tough to match the disc differences of a span of discs that starts with a soft magnet to an Esp Zone. But a person's control on a certain mold probably equals more of that "soft touch" & "controllability" I probably lack. And because of it, I need different varieties of molds to match my throw.

Then there is me being the "Variety Fiend" which is tough. I have to try out so much plastic instead of sticking with limited types of molds which can be costly$

I finally decided that I'm looking for predictability out of a putter and since to my mind, stability = predictability, I've started putting with a Classic Roc. I originally bought it as a stable approach disc, but then made it ma putter. Now all I need to do is learn how to putt :eek: But I'm still open to getting other putters as approach discs as they really are useful things!

I carry the Vibram trio for approaches (also using the VP in the wind)

My main putter is the Omega SS... the same for years...

The multi-Wizard theory is working for me. All other putters have been benched. My approach game is a little better, but I have also been making some longer putts than I used to. I think sticking with one mold really helps develop a better feel for that disc and a better short, finesse game.

I'm always trying different putters. Never found a need to carry more than 1 when it came down to it. Who knows though. Im trying Magics to see if I like the stable to understable approach better, and I think Im going to really like it, but I might find a spot for my Ridge or Wizard to go with it.

Ahh the great putter debate. I had these in the mix for awhile, along with my comments and end selection:
Soft Magnet - first putter, little flippy
JK Aviar-X 4x - second putter, got beat real fast, but sometimes grab it
KC Pro Aviar - 3rd putter, got it, loved the hardness, can throw it far!
Voodoo - fits funny in hand, almost immediately discarded
Warlock - felt a bit better than VooDoo but worse than KC Pro Aviar / Magnet
Magic - felt like hot loveness in the hand...picked it as my putter of choice I fell so in love...and then I played a round on a windy day and an updraft took my 172g Magic 100' down the backside of a hill....
Wizard - That windy day I had a heavy M Wizard and it busted the wind good. Also like the firmer ones (have a SUPER STUPID STUPID STUPID soft one that is just terrible and one that is market the same that is just genius).

Probably will end up back with the Aviar but for now the Wizard does the trick. Some people have told me to try a Challenger, I may just do that (or a hard magnet).

Wizards

All you need.

Fixed that for you.

It was love at first putt for me. The more I throw them, the better they get. I do prefer Mediums for approaches through trees but have reached for my "putt only" organic SSS that started the whole love affair for more then putting a lot recently.

Last edited:
Yeah right, you think Ima p!ss off my challengers by putting another mold in there;) For events I'll sometimes hide a magnet in the zipper pocket but they're so excited for the event they don't see me sneak it in;)

Fixed that for you.

It was love at first putt for me. The more I throw them, the better they get. I do prefer Mediums for approaches through trees but have reached for my "putt only" organic SSS that started the whole love affair for more then putting a lot recently.
True, I just have the magic until my current Wizard beats in. I'll then get a new one and the beat Wizard will take the place of the Magic.