• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter selection for disc minimalists?

Yep I've been there too...

I also was recently threw my putting putter on an extended 150 ft. approach and it hit a boulder that resulted in a nice half in gash on the wing. She is now a throwing putter.....:doh:
Different days, different things...

I once had a putting putter that was only for putting. It was a small bead Aviar and it was really in my head that there was something special about THAT putter. I missed the fairway to the right on #4 at White Birch and had a downhill run that I left high. Hit the number plate on the Mach III and chunked a huge gouge out of the wing of that putting putter. General desperation ensued.

In the process of working out what to do next, I actually switched Aviar duties. I had been putting the small bead and driving the big bead. The big bead was better in a headwind and for hyzers, but for all-purpose off the tee the small bead went farther. The big bead was more comfortable and consistent for me as the putter. I ended up with five Aviars; two big beads and three small beads. That was my putter setup for six or seven years. For the last four or so years I ended up with no dedicated putting Aviar. There was a scenario for throwing each of the five and I generally would mark my lie and putt with whatever disc I just picked up if it was an Aviar. If the discs I picked up wasn't an Aviar I generally putted a 9X KC Pro unless it was a really long putt.

For long putts I used...the old chunked small bead that had been my "special" putter. Once I got over the chunk, it was a great US short drive/approach disc and it still used to ring up a long putt now and then. I called it my Billy Baroo.

Any more it really doesn't matter to me. If I taco my putter, I carry a backup for a reason. They are just golf discs. Any "special" designation we give to any one unique disc is in our head.

Latest posts