• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Putter selection for disc minimalists?

I could go protege Hunter for putting and Fossil Scale for drives/overstable approaches. Even with a full bag I'd only add a soft(pretty firm)wizard for drives.

When I'm carrying my full tournament bag I've got 6-7 putters. 2-3 dedicated putters (wizards) and 4 dedicated throwers (wizards and scales).

When I go with a more minimal (9-10 disc) bag I only carry two wizards. One stable and one beat, both used for putting and throwing duties.

For a really minimal bag I would just carry one stable wizard.

Only carry one putter mold right now, so it would be easy. The black rhyno next to my name. For a long time I didn't carry a putter, so there is that too. Then again, putting is not my strong suit. :doh:

Personally I think your putting putter should be separate and precious to you, and should not have any influence on your throwing putter molds.

Last edited:
I usually carry 3 Envies and a Proxy, sometimes I throw a Blowfly in the mix for fun. When I play with 6-8 discs though, I usually only carry my most beat P Envy, which is more wind resistant than the Proxy, but also doesn't fade as hard as my Soft N or Max weight fresh P Envy.

I played a 6 disc round today with just that Envy, used it for all upshots and putts and had a great game.

I love playing minimalist rounds, and am very happy playing with just a Crave, Theory, and Envy to cover all of my shots.

Personally I think your putting putter should be separate and precious to you, and should not have any influence on your throwing putter molds.
I'm the opposite. You can putt with anything. The deal breaker for me is how it drives. When I used a minimalist bag I picked a driving putter and then just putt with it. Then it was usually a big bead Aviar. Today it would probably be a Wizard.

Actually for the most part I still do that today. Right now I have two Soles and they have no defined use; I drive and putt whichever one I pull out of the bag. The exception for me is that I carry a Lightning Upshot for touch turnover approach shots and uphill approaches that I want some extra carry on. I could live without it, but it makes my life simpler so why not throw it? I also have a Ridge that I use when it's windy becasue it doesn't lift as much and I never learned to putt in the wind. :| Again, if I was going minimalist I could live without it.

I would just carru 1 wizard to do everything. Or perhaps a wizard and a scale. But that one wizard would not be one of my precious go to putting wizards. It would be one of my many throwers. Id happily putt with any of my throwers in the name of minimalism, but never in a million years throw a go to putter.

Normally I carry 1 putting wizard, 2 driving wizards, and a scale. At one point I was carrying like 7 or 8 putters total. That was incredibly dumb.

I would just carru 1 wizard to do everything. Or perhaps a wizard and a scale. But that one wizard would not be one of my precious go to putting wizards. It would be one of my many throwers. Id happily putt with any of my throwers in the name of minimalism, but never in a million years throw a go to putter.

That's how I feel. When I travel with a minimal bag I take a thrower and putt with it. I would hate to take my go-to putter and toss it in a lake or taco it on a full-power drive.

If I'm going truly minimalist (say 1-3 discs), I just take a Pig (either a fresh OS one or a beat one depending on the course) and use it for putts and upshots. I can putt with Pigs pretty well honestly; fresher ones don't have much glide so they require a little more effort, especially outside the circle, but for the most part they work fine for me. If I'm bringing my small bag (7-9 discs), then I'd carry a Yeti Aviar for putting and a fresh Pig for upshots/hyzer drives. For courses requiring some short turnover shots, I'd also probably throw in a PA4 or beat Pig.

That's how I feel. When I travel with a minimal bag I take a thrower and putt with it. I would hate to take my go-to putter and toss it in a lake or taco it on a full-power drive.
I have two Wizards that I used specifically in a driver/putter tandem for a couple of years. The driving Wizard is in surprisingly good shape; one nice big gouge in the bead but otherwise pretty good. The putting Wizard looks like hell. All the chain impacts...oh, who am I kidding? All the basket-smack rejections and glancing hits off the top of the basket coupled with the fact that you take a lot more practice putts than practice drives took a real toll on the poor thing. I managed to baby my driving putter a lot more than the putting putter.

I have two Wizards that I used specifically in a driver/putter tandem for a couple of years. The driving Wizard is in surprisingly good shape; one nice big gouge in the bead but otherwise pretty good. The putting Wizard looks like hell. All the chain impacts...oh, who am I kidding? All the basket-smack rejections and glancing hits off the top of the basket coupled with the fact that you take a lot more practice putts than practice drives took a real toll on the poor thing. I managed to baby my driving putter a lot more than the putting putter.

I've noticed practice putting definitely destroys more of my putters over the years than actual rounds of disc golf as well. This gives me an idea. If I only practice putted with my Destroyers 3 or 4 times per week, I bet I could get a new one into the sweet spot quicker than I do throwing them on the course. ;) :thmbup:

I've noticed practice putting definitely destroys more of my putters over the years than actual rounds of disc golf as well. This gives me an idea. If I only practice putted with my Destroyers 3 or 4 times per week, I bet I could get a new one into the sweet spot quicker than I do throwing them on the course. ;) :thmbup:

Practice putting chews up my discs, but that's because the ground beneath the practice putting basket (and some of the baskets on the holes on the course) have that blue-black rock stuff on it. At one time, my home course put gravel (big rocks, too), but they finally got that removed. But it's an incentive to hit the basket, because the ground will chew up one's disc if one misses....

Funny, I putt with Wizards now instead of Judges, but have never thrown a Wizard (still throw the Judge for neutral to understable). I threw Envys before I started putting with Wizards, and am still very happy with them in that very slightly OS driving putter slot. But if going minimalist, I would probably carry an Ontario Star or Gstar Rhyno for shorter drives and approaches and just one Wizard for both putting and longer putter drives.

I use a Vibram Ridge for putting, upshots, and driving up to about 200' or so. With a full bag I usually have 2 ridges (Don't wanna loose my sweet looking one :D), a Harp, and a Whale.

I can use the Ridge for a lot of shots that I probably should be using a mid, and that's why I only carry like one mid.

Back in like 2007 I tacoed my main putter on a drive mid-tournament and I am forever scarred.

Back in like 2007 I tacoed my main putter on a drive mid-tournament and I am forever scarred.

Yep I've been there too...

I also was recently threw my putting putter on an extended 150 ft. approach and it hit a boulder that resulted in a nice half in gash on the wing. She is now a throwing putter.....:doh:

Funny, I putt with Wizards now instead of Judges, but have never thrown a Wizard (still throw the Judge for neutral to understable).

Interesting... I'm just the opposite. I putt with Judges (though going to beadless Wardens more and more) and have been throwing the Wizard (as a throwing putter) for distance (such as it is) more and more.

You guys are both wierd. No idea how either of you managed to keep judges around for anything after finding wizards. When I did I dropped judges like a bad habit.

You guys are both wierd. No idea how either of you managed to keep judges around for anything after finding wizards. When I did I dropped judges like a bad habit.

I putt more accurately and consistently with the Judge than with the Wizard. :thmbup:

Next question?

Latest posts