• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Putters/Approach rim width like a Zone/Pig but neutral and not overstable - exist?

Im the OP here -

I bought 3 discs to try:

Firm Proton Envy which is 3/3/-1/2. Maybe I should have gotten a Proxy for the little less stability, but I have already thrown it perfectly on a couple holes that I wanted a throwing putter for. So thats a win.

Ledgstone Crystal Sparkle Buzzz SS - Not sure the numbers but something like 5/4/-1/1. If you can believe it this is my first buzzz and Im in love. The disc my bag needed. It already saved me several strokes at Beast in Ludington. It is a 24 hole course so more chances for help, but great disc.

Buzzz with nice gummy Crystal Sparkle plastic, great grip. Even if I rip on it, it goes straight and Im not likely to really overthrow. Im still at 300-330 max power with a Thrasher.

SOL - 4/5/-3/1 or something like that Discraft gives it a -0.5 rating, so its crazy understable. I got a SOL from the recommendation and its a pretty bad disc. I dont have a lot of power but I really, really have to power down so that it doesnt turn into a roller. It doesnt turn, it just goes straight to the ground.

SOL has been good as a utility disc to loft stuff up straight up throws. Beast hole 2 for example. Or crazy anny shots when Im in a bush and need to go around, FH and BH. But Im not sure who I would honestly recommend this disc to.

Other options I dismissed

Mako - I have a 180g star Mako OG and its so touchy. Plus its crazy windy here on the lake shore so its not usable most of the time. Rim feels terrible compared to the Ledgstone Buzzz SS.

Mako3 - I have a 177g star Mako3. Same beef. Also unless I barely throw it - it turns. I must have some bad OAT. I feel like thats not the case, but Mako and Mako3 turn on my all the time unless I barely throw them.

Lots of people gave examples of discs that have very narrow rims. I have some discs like Ringer GT that feel so odd trying to throw. I also putt with Judges so I have a dozen of those but dont like throwing. Standstill 80 feet to the basket I can throw, but not 100+ feet with a tiny walk up.

Jokeri, Envy/Proxy are worth a look

Looked at a Jokeri but its basically a Zone, pretty OS.

I bought a Firm Proton Envy. I like the Neutron plastic better but Envy is more OS in that plastic. Plus I like that the Proton will beat in even more, to become a tiny bit flippy.

Maybe a Proxy in Neutron would be better?

I bought a Firm Proton Envy. I like the Neutron plastic better but Envy is more OS in that plastic. Plus I like that the Proton will beat in even more, to become a tiny bit flippy.

In my experience the Zone is much more OS tah. The Jokeri, but that's just my experience.

If you are throwing the Envy well stick with it, they wear in super slowly, so you will be able to count on that flight for a long time. If the fade is too much, yeah Proxy would be good.

Innova nexus animal. Goes dead straight! By far the best go for it disc on the market. It's amazing how straight it goes. I've hit more 50'+ Puts with this disc then any disc I've ever had. Not sure why it has not caught on yet but an unbelievable disc! Awesome for 200' and in up shots too!

Innova nexus animal. Goes dead straight! By far the best go for it disc on the market. It's amazing how straight it goes. I've hit more 50'+ Puts with this disc then any disc I've ever had. Not sure why it has not caught on yet but an unbelievable disc! Awesome for 200' and in up shots too!

Is the rim chunky like a Pig or putter-ish like a Rhyno? Thanks.

In my experience the Zone is much more OS tah. The Jokeri, but that's just my experience.

If you are throwing the Envy well stick with it, they wear in super slowly, so you will be able to count on that flight for a long time. If the fade is too much, yeah Proxy would be good.

This is the best advice. I carry 2 zones in my full bag, a very beat Pro-D and a Premium plastic one that is much more stable. If i ever lost the Pro-D one, it would be replaced with an Envy until i could beat in another base plastic Zone. I used to throw the Envy until i got that really beat Zone and they fill the same spot in my bag. Feel is ever so slightly different between the two molds, but they are overall mostly similar in that aspect. A fresh Proton or Neutron will be exactly what you describe you are looking for in both feel and flight and consider adding an Electron to beat in to a more understable version.

There are too many people recommending discs that are putters and fly like what you want, but don't have the rim like you want. Ignore those! Although it is hard to separate the good recommendations that just don't mention the rim from those that don't even consider it.

Last edited:

Are you sure you're talking about a Proton Envy? Proton and Neutron putters are both nearly indestructible unless you're throwing them into sharp rocks. Their flights are also pretty darn near identical to each other, although I've heard the Cosmic Neutrons are more OS (haven't thrown any Cosmics personally). Electron is their base plastic, and does definitely beat in and get to a -1 turn/2 fade type of flight pretty quick. Electron is way different than Proton/Neutron.

Are you sure you're talking about a Proton Envy? Proton and Neutron putters are both nearly indestructible unless you're throwing them into sharp rocks. Their flights are also pretty darn near identical to each other, although I've heard the Cosmic Neutrons are more OS (haven't thrown any Cosmics personally). Electron is their base plastic, and does definitely beat in and get to a -1 turn/2 fade type of flight pretty quick. Electron is way different than Proton/Neutron.

I was at Sweet Spot which is an old school, really excellent disc store on the Lake shore.

Looked at Envy in different plastics and it has different flight numbers. Owner there throws Envys and he also mentioned it to me. So I'm just going by that at the moment.

I see that most of the Envys are 0 turn, but you are right, the firm Electron is -1 turn, still with the 2 fade.

I have the firm Electron with the -1 turn and it does get a little turn when given a solid throw. I usually throw pretty low, like head high so it doesnt have much opportunity for the fade at the end.

You can die on the hill of numbers if you want. You may want to actually try them before writing me off.

I own both - I said that. I have them in my hands - they are not the same size. I have tried them, I wrote that I did not want thin rimmed putters. I wanted a zone/pig.

Have you ever thrown a zone or pig? Did you notice that it has a big wing? Have ever touched a putter?

Man - I forget how bad the forum trolls are - even for disc golf. :gross: