• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting: Soft or Firm Plastic?

R-Pro Dart for the past few months. I'm about ready to try something new though.

R-pro = worst plastic ever and just another Innova gimmick

sorry I don't think I have said it before.

I've been using my R-Pro Dart for a month or so and I really like it. It grabs the chains and flies very straight which suits my 'just fling it' putting style.

I got a couple of R-Pro Darts and they fade as hard as Wizards and other typical beaded putters. Like dump fade, not forward fade. :confused:

It seems to me that the floppier the putter, the worse it fades at the end of the putt.

I got a couple of R-Pro Darts and they fade as hard as Wizards and other typical beaded putters. Like dump fade, not forward fade. :confused:

It seems to me that the floppier the putter, the worse it fades at the end of the putt.

I picked one up after playing with that fella in Burlington that used them all the time, think he said you were in his 2nd group Saturday. I've liked it so far. For me it doesn't seem to have too much of a fade at the end but it definitely isn't a completely straight flight. I have been using the Dart for approaches where I can take a higher line and just plop it down and my ion for my low/wooded approaches.

SOFT SOFT SOFT !

My confidence in my putting has improved since I started throwing the soft VP.
Soft sticks better.

It's actually creating a problem now though, I need a nice soft floppy stable/overstable putter for an upcoming 150 class tourney, and there doesnt seem to be much in the way of soft floppy choices under 160 grams. :(

I've been using star aviar drivers, but I am getting some wobble on push putts as the top pros predict will happen with soft plastic. I think they are fine for spin putts, but the choice of soft versus firm plastic seems to vary based on putting style. Any push putters out there using soft plastic?

I have a SSS-marked OG Wizard that is as firm as any of my Softs that is my main putter. The flightplate is starting to soften a little after a year, but it's still far from Soft Magnet or R-Pro soft. More like a stiffer Soft Banger. I also carry a medium (and a gummy HPP) that is going to soften up in about a decade that grabs the chains just as well. I throw it in the trees, on approaches outside of 75', and for field practice (my OG stays on the bench).

So by what I carry, I guess I prefer firmer putters. At the end of the day, it's what helps you make putts, not what everyone else is using.

Any push putters out there using soft plastic?

That's what I'm saying (or pondering). I definitely use little spin on my putts and soft/floppy putters just board the failboat like no tomorrow. If I don't put enough spin on a floppy putter, I'll either wobble it straight but right of the basket or it will fade hard and short as it slows down.

VD, I've had some decent success with the Dart and wonder if DX or Star (firm) would better suit me but the R-pro just wants me to hyzer putt with spin to have any consistency. Plus the sharp rim seems more nose angle sensitive (not what I want in a putter) and I really miss the rounded rim of conventional putters. So, I think the Dart is a miss for me.

I like stiff because I feel like I get a more consistent release from my fingers. I putt with champion rhyno and all sorts of wizards depending on the temperature that day.

Latest posts