• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Putting with Mids

Nemmers

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I don't carry a putter. I own three, but bag none. I putt with a DX Roc. I have two of different weights in my bag: the 167g I use for normal putts and the 180g I use for headwinds. (Plus, I have nine more Rocs at home that I practice with in the backyard.) I've done this since before I played in my first tournament.

I love the way the Roc feels in my hand and it seems to work for me. I've gotten semi-consistent results with it and have steadily (albeit slowly) improved. My questions are:

1. Does anyone else do this? (Whether it's a Roc is irrelevant...do you putt with a mid?)

2. Has anyone else done this, switched back to putters, and found that it hurt (or helped) their game by switching back?

3. Since DG is all about "what works for you," is there any reason (scientific or otherwise) not to putt with mids if it works?

I don't see myself bagging a putter anytime soon, but I was just curious if there were any other mid-putters out there.

3. Since DG is all about "what works for you," is there any reason (scientific or otherwise) reason not to putt with mids if it works?
Mids like Rocs are typically wide diameter discs so by using them to putt with you are making the target slightly smaller, kind of like how girls' basketballs are smaller than guys'.

Disc crazy meng but yeah any faster putter and slower mid are generally pretty interchangeable outside of feel and overall diameter, specially when talking from 10-20' out but its getting confidence in a putter beyond 50'+ which is where a mid becomes counterproductive. Least effort to get the distance you need with accuracy succumbs any philosophy on do what works for you.

When my putting is on, I can putt with practically anything. However, I'm about 10,000% more likely to drive a putter then putt a mid. In fact, I think I throw my putter off the tee more than any other disc.

I sometimes use a beat up Stingray (180 g) for longer putts ... it just stays straight longer than some of the putters I use

~ edd

I used to putt with my Comet all the time. I weaned myself off of it (exclusively) when I got a Polecat (yeah, I know...) I still use the Comet at times, but the Polecat in certain situations, but I never recommend this to anyone else,lol.

And I like throwing either off the teebox, too.

Ive seen some do it. Pretty much all people who aren't very good. If you are just out there to play disc golf and have fun then go for it. If you are serious about playing higher level golf, then I would stop now and find a putter that works for you.

Ive seen some do it. Pretty much all people who aren't very good. If you are just out there to play disc golf and have fun then go for it. If you are serious about playing higher level golf, then I would stop now and find a putter that works for you.

LMAO.....isn't that the point?

I don't carry a putter. I own three, but bag none. I putt with a DX Roc. I have two of different weights in my bag: the 167g I use for normal putts and the 180g I use for headwinds. (Plus, I have nine more Rocs at home that I practice with in the backyard.) I've done this since before I played in my first tournament.

I love the way the Roc feels in my hand and it seems to work for me. I've gotten semi-consistent results with it and have steadily (albeit slowly) improved. My questions are:

1. Does anyone else do this? (Whether it's a Roc is irrelevant...do you putt with a mid?)

2. Has anyone else done this, switched back to putters, and found that it hurt (or helped) their game by switching back?

3. Since DG is all about "what works for you," is there any reason (scientific or otherwise) not to putt with mids if it works?

I don't see myself bagging a putter anytime soon, but I was just curious if there were any other mid-putters out there.

At the risk of sounding like an arrogant know it all with some skills, which I am not, I used a mid to putt with when I started also. You'll get over it or you will not get better. Your choice. I have never played with anybody with skills that used a mid for putting. Not saying it won't work, but you probably aren't the savant that will make it work. And that putter you are not using is your best disc for most approaches and short drives also. Just suck it up and figure it out.

1. Does anyone else do this? (Whether it's a Roc is irrelevant...do you putt with a mid?) Nope.

2. Has anyone else done this, switched back to putters, and found that it hurt (or helped) their game by switching back? Way back when I hated Aviars; they were too deep and I couldn't get the hang of it. I putted with a Discraft Deuce; it felt better in my hand. That's where the "Three Putt" thing came from. I'd miss, the disc would glide 30' past, and I'd miss the comebacker. Eventually I just sucked it up and got used to the Aviar. An Aviar (and basically all the speed 2 putters) does not glide and drops at low speed. The three putt problem went away.

3. Since DG is all about "what works for you," is there any reason (scientific or otherwise) not to putt with mids if it works? If you think it works, then there is no reason anyone will tell you that will change your mind. The reasons not to do it is the increased glide of a mid and reducing the target like BroD said.

Last edited:
Local pro named Mike uses a beat up, tie dyed Elite Z Buzzz exclusively to putt with, and that dude bangs chains. Seriously, if his driving game was a bit better, he would eat people up. I've never seen him use that particular disc for anything but putting, but from 50' in, he is pretty deadly with that thing.

Point? Use what's best for you. I've seen a guy putt with a beat dx banshee that was an impressive putter inside the circle. So, use what feels best and practice, practice, practice... Otherwise, just putt with it and have blast. Don't worry about looking like a noob. Those that feel the need to appear a certain way on a disc golf course might want to re-evaluate what it is they're actually doing: throwing frisbee's in the woods at a group of chains and a basket hanging on a pole. Yeah.... Silly hippies we are, worrying about looking like noobs with midrange putters and such.

Inside the circle you can easily get to the point where you make a similar percentage with a mid as you would with a putter. The real issue is what happens when you miss. Mids have more glide, so they'll fly farther past the basket. They also are a little more skip prone than putters in general. Last but certainly not least they're going to have a lot quicker fade when they slow down so they will land on edge a lot more often. That increases your chance of rollaways on hilly courses quite a bit.

At the risk of sounding like an arrogant know it all with some skills, which I am not, I used a mid to putt with when I started also. You'll get over it or you will not get better. Your choice. I have never played with anybody with skills that used a mid for putting. Not saying it won't work, but you probably aren't the savant that will make it work. And that putter you are not using is your best disc for most approaches and short drives also. Just suck it up and figure it out.

I agree even though I don't like the reality of agreeing. I hate how most putters feel in my hand. I held out putting with mids for years, but. . .

Putters do indeed work better for putting. Eventually I found putters I liked and my game improved.

I putt with my Mako. But I'm not what you'd call a great player (870 or so).

I started putting with it mainly out of frustration with leaving so many of my putters short when I putted, even for short putts. When I aimed higher, it didn't fix the problem. The Mako seemed to hit chain level much more often.

I'll probably be switching back to a regular putter at some point in the near future, and I definitely wouldn't recommend using a mid as a general rule. But when nothing is working, sometimes it's good to change things up for over the short term if only to change your mindset.

I have never done this but I was thinking of learning how. Really to gain the ability to get on a plane with just a buzz and a (well a valk these days) and be able to play a few casual rounds wherever i am.

Johnny Sias, former world champion, putted with a Roc for years. Was really good with it. He doesn't any more. Ken "Tank" Franks putter with a DX Archangle when he started. He switched to putters and got really good.

Plus putting with a mid makes you look like a n00b. :|

I did the same thing. Putted with a Buzzz SS, and couldn't understand the fuss about putters. Then I actually committed to giving them a try, and now wonder what the fook I was thinking. Putters stick to the chains better, stay closer to the basket on misses (most of the time), and generally have better flight characteristics for putts. Plus, if you're not at least giving putters a chance from the tee box, you're doing yourself a disservice.

You're kind of cheating yourself by not at least giving it a REAL try, and it does look pretty noob-ish putting with a Roc. It could be worse...I see plenty of chuckers putting with drivers.

A long long long time ago, I used to putt with a DX Shark.

Sometimes now, I'll play a course with just a midrange (Buzz, Mako, Comet, Roc). It only makes a small difference in my putting....though, over the course of a round or tournament, those few strokes add up.

When I first started I couldn't find anything I liked to putt with. Then I found a elite x buzzz. I putted with that thing for a good six months. This was 6 years ago mind you.
When I got a little more serious I actually switched to putters. I went from champion aviar to jk aviar to challenger to a focus and now my bangers. Im in the camp of you getting an actual putter

Latest posts