• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Qikly's Bag - A Work in Progress

Well i used to throw the river as well as the f7. but i've found manipulating the f7 has given me more versatility. I feel like the f7 can cover both the river and underworld shots in your bag. the f7 i have will hyzer if i throw it on hyzer and hold a a great anny line at the same time. right now my fairway driver setup is an f7, two f3's, and an f1. My only distance drivers are 2 pd's and 2 star terns. i truly despise innova but i bought a 166g star tern and a 170g star tern and they really are amazing discs for hyzer flips and max distance if your capping out at about 350 ft. I get my turns out 370 ft easily and i feel they would compliment your laces well. I just feel the river is such a nose angle sensitive disc that it really isn't worth throwing and it doesn't hold great anny lines in the wind, I live in Oklahoma and I found my f7 more tolerable to annying in the wind so i liked it more. Again these are just my opinions but if you were going to buy some discs with your xmas money i would seriously reccomend a star tern 168-170g and throw it in tailwinds/no wind and you will be surprised at the easy distance it will give you

I feel like the f7 can cover both the river and underworld shots in your bag. the f7 i have will hyzer if i throw it on hyzer and hold a a great anny line at the same time. I live in Oklahoma and I found my f7 more tolerable to annying in the wind so i liked it more.

i dont know how i feel about this. really an f7 holding hyzer at 350? holding an anhy...? idk, if you said it hyzer flips nice, and flips to a turnover maybe, but i just dont see any f7 "holding" an anhy line. if you throw the f7 flat it wants to flip, how are you going to throw an anhy? i just cant tell if you are miss using terminology or what

In his earlier post he states that he can get the stag to turn now when he throws it 350ft and fly straight. So I'm not saying he should use an f7 for 350 ft hyzers. Powered down to 300 ft the f7 can definately throw a hyzer if you can slow down your power and throw smoothly. The f7 will also throw straight in woods which is what a lot of people use rivers for. I'm saying that Coupling the resister/saint pros/stags with f7's would be able to cover all of the shots needed and cut back on molds by dropping the river and underwold. The less discs you throw the more control you have at manipulating them in my opinion. I'm a minamilist though and i was just offering suggestions

Last edited:
Right on.

I'm going to finalize an order from Community tonight, but there's a Star Tern in the cart. I've got a 166 Lace in there two I can put it up against, so we'll see how they compare.

I've been throwing Rivers long enough that they don't seem overly sensitive to me. But, I've yet to throw any Prodigy, so maybe I'm missing out. There's a local player who bags an F7; I'll see if I can throw one next time I see him out on the course.

Just wanted to record a recent change up for posterity's sake. Think I sorted out my muddled fairways.

I'm still relatively new to it, but it looks like the Crave will replace the Stag and the River, and will make a great complement to the Saint Pro. Its HSS is exactly what I was looking in a neutral fairway. It really does remind me of a longer Tangent. I'm very psyched about it.

I have a 175 Watermelon Proton and a 166 Neutron that complement each other well. I might order a 150 class for a bit more turn.

So assuming this change holds like I think it will, the bag is

Lace

Resistor
Saint Pro
Crave
Underworld

Suspect
Tangent

VP

I'm quite happy with that lineup. Covers a lot of lines without being too crowded.

Might look into an OLace at some point: in most headwinds my Lace can't hit certain lines. Not in a rush, though.

A trip out to Texas last month had me playing a larger-than-usual variety of courses and dealing with some serious wind. My overall takeaway was that I was happy with the bag except for the Saint Pro: it didn't take on headwinds as well as I'd initially thought. While not settled on it yet, I think replacing it with a Tesla will work wonders, and this will also give me a headwind-friendly DD complement to the Laces. I like killing two birds with one stone like that.

So the bag is:

Tesla
Lace

Resistor
Crave
Underworld

Suspect
Tangent

VP

The Underworld is also in danger of getting challenged for its spot at some point due to its crazy understability. But I'm not in any rush for that as I don't pull it out that often. And it is fantastic for rollers, on the rare occasion I throw one.

Been a while! A serious foot injury put me out of commission most of the summer; I'm only just starting to get back into playing. It's good to be out on the course again.

Bag has not officially changed, but I am auditioning new putting putters. One of the first things I noticed when getting back in the saddle was just how much oomph I needed to put into the VPs. The time away from them helped me see how much I'm not fond of that for putting. They'll definitely stay in the bag for upshots, but I'd like to try something else for putting purposes.

I want to stick with beaded putters because I like the feel. I got a Judge in yesterday and have a Legacy putter (Clozer I think) on the way. Would like to find a Wizard and a Ridge to try, too.

Spent a bit of time with the Judge this morning on the practice basket. It's amazing how much it leaps out of the hand and glides in comparison to the VP. It's going to take some getting used to this kind of stability, but I'm intrigued.

Still plan on challenging the Underworld with an understable MVP fairway at some point, but I'm not in a rush to do that.

Man am I liking this Judge. Played my first round with it today and really felt at home with it. Still acclimating to the stability difference, but I can get dead straight putts with this thing much easier than the VPs. Seems to be a much simpler putter in that respect. Also nailed some beautifully straight approaches.

I picked up a Fusion Judge to see how it works for driving; didn't get to throw it, but I'm really excited at the prospect of finally having a true driving putter in my arsenal.

The Fusion Judge is a great driving putter. Mine is light blue 174g. Very straight flying when thrown flat. I use it for short tunnel shots and it can also hold slight hyzers just as well as slight anhyzers.

The Fusion Judge is a great driving putter. Mine is light blue 174g. Very straight flying when thrown flat. I use it for short tunnel shots and it can also hold slight hyzers just as well as slight anhyzers.

Those are exactly the kinds of situations I'm looking to use it on. The Tangent can be a great tunnel shot disc, but there are times where I want more HSS.

I'd actually wanted to grab a Lucid but my friendly local disc seller only had Fusion, and I was feeling impatient. Any comparisons between how the two plastics fly?

I got a 174g Fusion and a 173g Lucid Judge. I only bag the Fusion right now. Maybe it´s just me but the Lucid seems to have a bit more fade at the end of the flight (really it´s not much and almost not note worthy). Still i have more confidence throwing the fusion judge, if i really need to hit a tight gap. The Lucid one seems to be a little bit stiffer so i bring this one out when it´s hot outside. In Cold weather i prefer the softer fusion plastic. Fusion and lucid are both durable, Fusion will beat in quicker though.

I hope that helps.

Well, I finally got around to trying an Inspire: seeing many who bag a Crave bag it too finally gave me the impetus. Still have to spend more time with it, but it seems a shoo-in to make the bag. It's got the easy, controllable turn I was looking for, along with enough of a fade to avoid flipping. Very intuitive to switch between it and the Crave.

I also picked up a Lucid Judge this afternoon. Only got a few throws with it, but it seems to be as reported: more stable and less glide than the Fusion. Not sure which I'll prefer, or whether I'll carry both, but it's clearly a different enough animal that I'm looking forward to trying it out.

So the bag now is

3 x Medium Laces - Have a 167 I've been throwing for ages that is super familiar and workable for my max D (375') and some heavier ones that range from slightly to moderately more stable for windier conditions and straighter lines.

2 x Neutron Teslas - Falling in love with these. Very controllable, and handle the wind very well. My 168 is a tick less stable than my 175.

Neutron Resistor - Wonderful.

? x Craves - Have a variety of weights and plastics in and out of the bag. A 173ish Neutron has become a mainstay, most recently complemented by a slightly beefier max weight Watermelon Proton. I also have a 164 Neutron that I was using for big annys, but it's less needed with the Inspire making its way in here.

Neutron Inspire - We'll see if it makes the bag, but it'll make the bag.

2 x Suspects - A nice and stable 175 first run Lucid and a slightly lighter, slightly less stable Lucid that I should probably concentrate on beating in a bit more, because worn Lucids are a thing of beauty.

2 x Tangents - A max weight Neutron that has been in the bag for at least a year and still flies basically new, and a worn Proton Tangent that I bought from Jake Master that is beautiful for turnovers.

2 x VPs - The Soft has become a mainstay for approaches, with its greater glide than Mediums and Firms, slightly less and later fade, and its wonderfully reliable hit-and-stick landing. I probably need to get a backup for it, because I only have one and am really starting to lean on it. I carry a Medium too but it doesn't see much use. Only when I really need the super slow beef.

? x Judges - Lucid and Fusion in play for driving as mentioned, and a pair of Blends for putting. Still adjusting to their drastically different stability than the VP so they don't feel comfortable, but I can tell it's a winner.

Not much on the to-do list these days. I'd like to pick up a Proton Tesla to try out, snag a back-up Soft VP, and possibly grab a Medium O-Lace for windier days, since it's that time of year in NOLA and as wonderful as the Tesla is, it's not a max D disc for me. Beyond that things seem pretty set. In the back of my mind I toy with trying out a faster mid range, because the speed gap in between my Suspects and my fairways is pretty considerable, but that's not really a need right now and I'd hate to muddle what's been a pretty stable period in the bag.

Update.

Bag has stayed welcomingly consistent. I tried out an Atom because of all the buzz, but it didn't seem anywhere near magical enough to warrant leaving the Judges, which I now have a great comfort level with. Tossing the Atom a few times did make me want to try out the Axiom putters for driving though, and my first rounds with a Proxy yesterday left me very excited. It's a remarkably straight disc: lots of HSS, no fade unless put on such a line. I think it'll become a mainstay for tunnel shots and straight approaches.

I'm wondering if with the Proxy bagged a Theory would make a better complement than a Tangent, so I'm going to order one and see for myself.

Otherwise there's been no movement. Very happy with my lineup right now, especially the drivers.

3 x Laces

2 x Teslas

1 x Resistor

2 x Craves

1 x Inspire

2 x Suspect

2 x Tangent

1 x Soft VP

1 x Proxy

2 x Judge

The slower end of the bag is becoming slightly muddled.

The Proxy is still sticking in there. It's not particularly versatile, but it's so good at what it does - slow and straight - that I want to keep it in for at least through summer to test it out in a variety of circumstances and see where it shines. I have a feeling it'll be a niche disc but one that'll nevertheless earn its keep on the right holes.

Theory is intriguing. Seems a little faster than the Tangent to me, and has an easy turn while a surprising resistance to flipping. Kind of uncanny how it avoids flipping over. It's still new and I'm still learning it, and it's not the kind of disc that I break out regularly, but I've been happy to have it on a few shots now that don't really suit my Tangents. It increasingly seems like a disc the bag needs.

That's left the Tangent on the sidelines a bit, but I'm yet to say whether it'll stay or go. It's been a while since I've reached for it, though, and it seems the most expendable out of the Tangent/Theory/Proxy trio. Not a lot of shots that suit the Tangent here locally, so it'll take some road tripping this summer to tell me whether it belongs in the lineup or not.

Tesla/Crave/Inspire combo is gold, I feel super comfy with the Judge at this point, and the rest seem more or less locked in, too.

Been playing with the Theory/Proxy bagged, sans Tangent, and have yet to miss it. Still waiting on my course hopping this summer to make the final call.

Had a wonderful recovery roller with the Theory today; one of the few bright spots in an overall rough round. The wind was *killing* me. Kept misjudging it.

Been carrying a Motion for kicks and have been reaching for it a few times each round. It just makes some skip shots and extreme hyzers easier. Not sure if it'll last, but it's been fun to carry. Still waiting for the forthcoming MVP DDs to settle on it or not.

Hey - I like your bag! Just wanted to comment on the Judges you throw. I use them a ton - off the tee, upshots, and obviously for putting. I don't know how you feel about "base" plastic, but you might consider chucking a Classic Hard Judge off the tee and see how you like it. I think the plastic gives much better grip in basically any conditions. I love mine for short/medium drives when there isn't a ton of wind, and you can also cycle them over time if you are into that sort of thing.

I do still keep a Lucid in the bag for throws when lots of trees are in play. I learned the hard way after bending the rim on one of my Classic Hards!

Thanks!

I tried driving with various kinds of Judges, but ended up using the Proxy for that neutral driving putter slot. It has more HSS and less LSS, so it's basically perfect for that role. A bit of a specialized disc, but that's a common enough shot (straight and tight) that I'm finding it worth carrying. You should try one some time!

Gotcha! Pretty sure one of my buddies picked up a Proxy not too long ago. I will have to test it out a bit. Straight and tight is definitely an important shot to have covered consistently.

Took a trip trip to the north shore today to play at Pelican Park and Bogue Chitto State Park. The two courses pair nicely together, with Pelican being a more open birdie fest type course (especially with the pins in the short position like they were today) with a few great wooded holes and a few open bombs, and Bogue Chitto a wooded monster type course that plays technical at a variety of distances.

Playing the two courses back to back gave me a nice look at where my bag stands and I'm largely very pleased. I'm sure the relative consistency has itself paid off in the form of increased familiarity, but I feel too that the molds I throw complement each other very well. There's the core of Judge, Suspect, Inspire, Crave, Resistor, and Tesla, which come out most every round and which would be hard to live without, and the discs with more specialized roles: Proxy, VP, Theory, Motion, Lace. I know what every disc is doing in my bag, even as I learn more about what else they can do.

Swapping the Theory and Proxy in for the Tangent remains a solid choice, though I'm still not 1000% convinced that the Proxy can cover all the straight lines I need it to. Still, I love its HSS and reliability, and I'm learning to love the Theory as well, largely for utility shots and increasingly for rollers.

The Motion is interesting to me. I don't use it much but I have definitely found some shots I don't think I could pull off with another disc. Pelican Park hole 14 provided a good example of this today: I've always either hit a turnover or roller through the left hand gap of the tree line or tried to hyzer around the right. The hyzer route has been tough for me because it has to fly pretty far before making it's break, and the break is ideally very extreme. The Motion was perfect for this: I could lay into it without worry of carrying on into the woods, and the fade was sharp enough to bring me into the circle for what turned out to be a pretty easy birdie putt. Shots like these that I've never attempted or nailed before are making the Motion earn its keep even if I don't pull it out much.

I'm pretty happy with the Tesla, but I wonder if something with a bit more distance potential might eventually replace it. Maybe try a Wrath with this in mind at some point.

I've preordered two Photons from Community Discs. Very curious to see how they fly!