• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Qikly's Bag - A Work in Progress

I don't think you really need an OS mid between the Banshee and the VP, since the Banshee is so range-able~

And you need a Eclipse Tangent.

Because they look cool :p

I'm glad to hear from another Banshee user on this. Sometimes I feel crazy having such a thin midrange lineup, but the longer I throw Banshees, the more uses I find for them. I still might try an OS mid out at some point, simply just to see if I've been missing anything. But I'm with you, in that I don't feel a real need for it yet.

Anyone know if the Eclipse Tangents vary in stability from the Neutron? The definitely look hip.

I've been wanting to get a DX Banshee, to beat up to see how it flies, I just haven't gotten around to it yet. The champion one has been in my bag since I started. Everything has changed except that Banshee~

I seem to recall someone saying the Eclipse Tangent was a touch less stable than the Neutron, right when it came out. But I don't really know.

I'm the opposite: been meaning to try a Banshee in Champ, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

I love my DXs: I've been throwing one for almost a year now, and while it's quite beat, it still scoffs at any wind and fades on demand. The fade is a bit later than it used to be, there's a hint of turn now, and the glide has increased some, but it's still undeniably a Banshee. It's awesome. I'm not generally a fan of cycling base plastic, but I imagine I'll do so with Banshees as long as I'm throwing 'em.

Plus, there's the added bonus of being able to throw over water without much worry about losing them.

I don't think I need the Pain/Wasp in my bag, the Banshee can do longer OS stuff, flies the same on medium length OS stuff, and none of them really do so well on short OS stuff. I want to try a Jokeri, just because I heard the plastic is really nice. I was also thinking about a VP, but they just look so... Deep.

I personally would be more worried about losing my favorite DX Banshee that I've been throwing for a year than a new champion one :p

Yeah, the VPs are pretty deep, but it never bothered me for some reason. Super predictable; they're awesome for approaches. Did a ton for that part of my game. And I love how the Medium X-Link absorbs the collision with the chains - it really reduces bounce-outs.

I don't throw that Banshee anywhere near water. ;)

Yeah, the VPs are pretty deep, but it never bothered me for some reason. Super predictable; they're awesome for approaches. Did a ton for that part of my game. And I love how the Medium X-Link absorbs the collision with the chains - it really reduces bounce-outs.

I don't throw that Banshee anywhere near water. ;)

The really deep discs seem to hang on my fingertip right at the end of the throw. It coooould also be that I've only been using soft/extra tacky putters for quite a while though.

Yeah, the medium is nice. My last putter was a Summit, although it's just about the shallowest thing ever. It was also super amazing at all sorts of approaches. Now I want to try an Anode, just because I've never tried an MVP disc.

I switch putters too often :p

EDIT: Woo, 250th post~

On the advice of some others on here, I picked up a 174 Amp to audition for a straight flier in between my Underworld and Stag.

Not sure how I feel about it after one round. It's a nice disc for sure - slightly faster than the Underworld, and definitely the potential to fly straight. But there's also some clear overlap between the two - it's easier for me to turn this thing than I thought it would be. It's a great mold, but I'm not sure if it's going to fill the space between those two drivers: I might end up wanting something more HSS (the LSS is perfect). But I'm going to live with it for a while before I make my decision.

One thing I'm certain about is how much I love the hot pink Neutron plastic: wish I could have some Underworlds in that color and plastic.

I haven't. I mostly stayed away because the sense I got is that they'd overlap too much with the Underworlds. Think I mistaken?

Iv'e not thrown a underworld, but I would think a heavy Opto might fit that solid HSS and small fade type flight you're looking for. I have a 168 Gold Line that will turn over if thrown hard and flat, but that's a slot I was trying to fill. I would bet you would like a heavy Opto.

Thanks for the tip! I'll put it on the short list to try. I do think there's an advantage to having my drivers all be of Euro make, for the simple fact of consistency's sake: one thing I noticed yesterday when trying out the Amp is that it certainly is a different animal than the Stag and Underworld in terms of how it likes to be thrown, and I've noticed similar things in the past. We'll see if I can get my hands on an Opto Fury and try it out.

one thing I noticed yesterday when trying out the Amp is that it certainly is a different animal than the Stag and Underworld in terms of how it likes to be thrown, and I've noticed similar things in the past.

i hear that. i find i do need a strong 4 finger grip that i stack pinky first. if the amp should not work out at all, ill trade you or buy it fwiw

i hear that. i find i do need a strong 4 finger grip that i stack pinky first. if the amp should not work out at all, ill trade you or buy it fwiw

Yeah, that's the biggest difference between it and the Westside discs: the amount of power and spin that I need to generate. It's not necessarily a bad thing - I actually like that the MVP discs make me focus more on generating spin, which is something I need to get better at - but it's different enough that I need to see whether I can switch back and forth between the Amp and the others without having it mess with my head. Either way, it's a nice enough disc that I'm glad to be trying it out.

I appreciate the offer; I'll let you know how things shake out.

Update!

Drivers (300'/325')

Banshees: Two 166ish DX Banshees, one of which has been in the bag for 9+ months and one of which is relatively new but is getting thrashed. I usually throw the older one since it's so predictable. Great for spike and extreme hyzers, shorter drives where predictability and ranging is key, and windy days. Can double as a massively OS mid when powered down.

Stags: A 173 VIP and two 165 Tournaments, one new and one with a few months of solid wear. The Tournaments are better line shapers with more turn and a later fade, whereas the VIP fades stronger and is more turn resistant. They pair well together in the different plastics and weights. My workhorse OS driver, longer, more easily thrown, and more versatile than the Banshees.

Underworlds: VIPs in the 170s and Tournaments around 166. Love these guys. The VIPs are great for max D, open shots, and long gradual hyzers, whereas the Tournaments are better in tighter windows and when powered down. Both turn easily and reliably.

I'm very happy with the driver setup at present.

Midranges (250'/275')

Tensors: Neutron plastic, around 177. Still dialing in these puppies; not sure how I feel about them. I like the control that MVP discs provide, but in the Tensor's case, it makes for a slightly unpredictable OS mid: the disc really accentuates small variations in release angle, meaning it holds annies or flies straight way longer than I anticipate. But I like it enough to want to spend some more time learning it; there seems to be a lot of potential here. I think it'd be an ideal companion to the Tangents if I can get more comfortable with it. I'm primarily using it for longer approaches and middling drives that need to finish left.

Tangents: Neutron, around 177. My new favorite disc. I just finished a week long disc golfing trip in PA where I played a lot of wooded courses, and I threw my Tangent off the tee at least half the time. I can turn it easily, but it'll stay straight when I want, and it's so easy to get this thing up to speed and flying as I ask it too. Plus, it's easily ranged. I've pulled off some crazy anhyzer approach shots with this thing. Great for shorter drives in tight windows and longer/anny approaches.

Putters (200'/225')

VPs: Right now I'm bagging two in medium X-link, and I just picked up a Soft as well. I simply love the mediums, especially for approaches. Can handle power and snap and are quite predictible. I picked up the Soft for utility approaches: there were some times during my PA trip (I'm looking at you, Seth Burton hole 10) that I really pined for a putter that would just hit the ground and stick. I'm curious to see how I put it to use.

- - -

I'm still intending on getting a Champ Banshee; it's only a matter of time.

I feel as though there are a few tiers in the bag. The Tangents, Underworlds, and Banshees aren't going anywhere any time soon: I love them enough to avoid even trying discs that would overlap with them too much. I'm very content with the Stags and VPs, but could imagine auditioning alternatives at some point on down the road. The Stags seem more likely to go than the VPs; maybe I'll take a Volt for a spin at some point. And the Tensor is still auditioning. I have seen the benefits of having an OS mid back in the bag, though, so if the Tensor doesn't make it, I'll be looking for something else.

Current Status of My Game
In general I'm focusing on developing consistency right now. I've cultivated enough skill to make some awesome shots, but I'm also good for some head scratchers. I don't currently have enough of a baseline skill set to carry me if I'm having an off day. It's frustrating to see myself totally fall flat on shots I've made numerous times. But I guess that's part of still being a beginner.

I tend to oscillate between practicing on particular skills and playing entire rounds. Lately I've been zeroing in on my Underworlds, working on hyzer flips, tight window shots, and turnovers with them. I feel as though raising my control over them would go a long way towards improving my game. I've also been focusing on putting a lot, and have seen a lot of improvement. It's just hard to say that at the moment as I putted like crap today. :p

Any thoughts on developing consistency with your game and your discs would be very welcome. At this point I'm keeping bag changes to a minimum - only the Tensor my be replaced anytime soon - in an effort to make my learning process as easy as it can be.

Sounds like you're doing good! As far as developing consistency with your discs, I would recommend playing a 1 disc round with the disc you're trying to dial in. Don't worry about score, just try and throw a bunch of different lines with it and learn its ins and outs.

That's a good suggestion; I've definitely never tried anything like that. I imagine it'd be good for my line shaping and shot flexibility, too, which I could definitely use. Sometimes I wonder if practicing particular shots so much can have its downsides, too: it can be hard to go from throwing 30 dead-straight hyzer flips to playing a round.

Thanks for the input!

i agree one disc rounds are great. anything new i get i usually bring down to my local P+P and throw it exclusively for 18 holes before i bag it for a round.
give the suspects a toss. i just picked up my 4th lucid, this new one is max weight, and i think its just what you may be looking for seeing how we both love the tangent and i told you about my tensor experience. i heard the bio has less glide and im thinking thats why people say they have less lss than the lucids, fwiw. also if you are interested, i have a champ banshee i found a while ago if interested. its that sea foam green color, broken in but still flies like a banshee.

Cheers, Jake. I hadn't thought of looking into a Suspect; I'll have to check it out. It seems like the speed matches the Tangent well? I don't need a massive fade, since I can power down my Banshees for that, or any magical degree of distance; what I'm really looking for is HSS and reliability.

What's the weight on that Banshee like? I'm interested, but green makes me nervous.

yea i do feel the speed and feel in the hand are pretty comparable, tangent/suspect. i think the verdict would be more similar to the tensor in the longer straight flight with dumping fade. check out the emac videos where he throws the suspect. on low lines i get near identical flight, where its closer to a 2 fade than 3, but if i give it some height the 3 is visible. ill check the weight on the banshee, she has some really faded ink but the phone number dosnt belong to 'tom' anymore. not looking to make anything off it, just cover shipping and shes yours kind of thing. i dont need anymore plastic laying around i wont throw.

Latest posts