• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Questions about dyeing

Jodabro

Ok i'll start this off, this thread is for those dyers out there who want to share their secrets and tips. Have a question post it here. I can't promise it will get answered, but its worth a shot.

I don't think you'll get the answer you want on that question. You can only go darker.

You cant dye white. You can get a white disc and mask the part that you want to be white then dye the surrounding areas. Here are a couple examples of recent work that look as if they are dyed white! :)
Anime-Disc-Final.png

oyster.png

You cant dye white. You can get a white disc and mask the part that you want to be white then dye the surrounding areas. Here are a couple examples of recent work that look as if they are dyed white! :)

This guy, right here, this is the guy. You should change the name of the thread to "Ask hippiediscdude". :thmbup:

Bleaching is something that i've considered, I mean who hasn't?! I've never tried it mostly cause i'm sure it won't work. The color of the disc is the color of the disc.
Can only go darker

I almost exclusively use white discs these days, so easy to get via discgolfcenter.com

So,
1-Can you use electrical tape to dye instead of buying expensive stuff to section off areas you want undyed?
2-Can you remove the stamp after you dye or will that mess up the dye job?
3-I have a blue disc I would like to dye green. This is going lighter, but not white. Or can you really only go darker, because if so, I'll try black dye.

So,
1-Can you use electrical tape to dye instead of buying expensive stuff to section off areas you want undyed?
2-Can you remove the stamp after you dye or will that mess up the dye job?
3-I have a blue disc I would like to dye green. This is going lighter, but not white. Or can you really only go darker, because if so, I'll try black dye.

You could probably use electrical tape............but in the long run it will cost you alot more than some contact paper from Walmart.

No, you need to remove the stamp first...........the acetone will eat at the dye.

You really can only go darker...................

does dying a disc alter it's flight characteristics at all?

I've heard accounts of people actually trying to weigh the disc before and after... they reported slight differences in weight. But, theres no way to know if they just used a bathroom scale, how clean the disc was before / after, or whatever.
I would think dyeing could result in a SLIGHT difference in weight, like maybe tenths or even hundredths of a gram and would love to get my hands on some very precise calibrated machines to check it out.

That being said, I've never noticed ANY changes in the flight patterns of the discs that I throw. And in case you were wondering, the PDGA rules don't allow any modifcations that change the flight characteristics or add a measurable thickness (for tournament play this matters). Dye'ing does neither, but I spose the flight characteristics bit could be argued. Although I've never noticed a change
http://www.pdga.com/rules/80201-discs-used-in-play

discraft dye

I have a Discraft Elite Soft Banger GT and wasnt sure if that plastic dyed well or not. Any ideas???

I have a Discraft Elite Soft Banger GT and wasnt sure if that plastic dyed well or not. Any ideas???

Elite X and Z discs will take dye nicely, however, Discrafts stamps can pose some minor bleeding problems.

do you have to boil the dye? what difference does it make if you let it cool anyway?

You should boil the dye initially if you're using a powder based dye like Rit. The dye should be warm but not simmering. A good ballpark method to tell if it's good is if there are small wisps of steam and you can hold your hands on the side of the pot. If the dye is too hot it will cause the vinyl or contact paper to lose adhesion. If the dye is too cool it will take much longer and you may not get as rich of a color.

Ok. I'm doing this with electrical tape, we'll see how this works. Next dye will be better I hope. I'll post the results here. Hope they don't end up terrible.