• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] R-Pro Aviar question

Purdoggies

Par Member
I found an R-Pro Aviar (P&A) on my local course the other day. I was just messing around with it during some field throwing and was surprised by how much better it seemed to drive than the DX Aviar (P&A) that I use as my go to putter. It seems to have much more carry and glide and come out of my hand with a bit more momentum both FH & BH. Any ideas why this might be the case?

Note: My only other experience with R-Pro is my trusty Rhyno which doesn't have much carry and glide at all. But, of course, that is how they are built, and I haven't had the chance to compare it to Rhynos in other plastics anyway.

I find that the softer plastic releases better for putters (which are deep relative to wing size) than stiffer plastics. Glide should be comparable to DX. Both will be flipmonsters in a hurry.

Disagree with a DX aviar becoming a flip monster that quickly. In slower, blunter discs, DX holds up very well.

No experience with R pro.

I find that the softer plastic releases better for putters (which are deep relative to wing size) than stiffer plastics. Glide should be comparable to DX. Both will be flipmonsters in a hurry.
It almost feels like because of the flex the R-Pro kind of loads up on my forward swing by deforming backwards and then springs forward upon release generating a bit more momentum. Is this possible?

DX and pro are both great and very similar but most certainly have their unique qualities.

I throw an r-pro aviar a ton, and I definitely get a little more umph on it than a dx. The softer plastic lets me get a firmer grip by pushing my thumb into the flight plate, so I can give it more power. Mine is so old and beat that you can roll it around itself like a burrito, and I wouldn't say it's overly flippy. With some height and a baby hyzer mine will ride out to 320 dead straight. Thrown flat and a bit lower it holds straight about 250 then finishes right

Have you scale weighed each one? If the R-Pro is lighter that could explain the additional glide.

Also, R-Pro Darts vary widely in plastic flexibility. I've seen very firm to very floppy R-Pro Darts, it's crazy.

I've thrown them quite a bit and I would say it's just the grip. With that soft plastic your fingers sink in the disc and just rip out. No slippage at all. Same thing for my R-Pro Rhynos. I can throw them a good bit farther than my Champs. I can also keep down on them easier and throw a more accurate line. It's all preference but I dig R-Pro.

I found an R-Pro Aviar (P&A) on my local course the other day. I was just messing around with it during some field throwing and was surprised by how much better it seemed to drive than the DX Aviar (P&A) that I use as my go to putter. It seems to have much more carry and glide and come out of my hand with a bit more momentum both FH & BH. Any ideas why this might be the case?

Note: My only other experience with R-Pro is my trusty Rhyno which doesn't have much carry and glide at all. But, of course, that is how they are built, and I haven't had the chance to compare it to Rhynos in other plastics anyway.

After reading through the thread, I am coming to believe that it may be the individual discs you are throwing. Check to see if they are the same or different weights. Over time, if you get more discs, you can do more comparing to see if the differences hold up.

After reading through the thread, I am coming to believe that it may be the individual discs you are throwing. Check to see if they are the same or different weights. Over time, if you get more discs, you can do more comparing to see if the differences hold up.
The R-Pro is marked 165 but weighs in at 163 on my scale. My DX go to putter is marked 170 but weighs in at 169. I think they probably lose a little weight the more beat they get from nicks and cuts. I was actually surprised that the R-Pro was lighter based on the way it felt in my hand. Was expecting more like 175. Maybe the difference in drive-ability has to with lighter weight and beat-in-ness?

The R-Pro is marked 165 but weighs in at 163 on my scale. My DX go to putter is marked 170 but weighs in at 169. I think they probably lose a little weight the more beat they get from nicks and cuts. I was actually surprised that the R-Pro was lighter based on the way it felt in my hand. Was expecting more like 175. Maybe the difference in drive-ability has to with lighter weight and beat-in-ness?

Weight can make a difference in flight and distance. Nicks and cuts likely won't change the weight too much, but beating in a disc can change the flight pattern. So that may be what you are seeing in your discs.

Weight can make a difference in flight and distance. Nicks and cuts likely won't change the weight too much, but beating in a disc can change the flight pattern. So that may be what you are seeing in your discs.
Just to reiterate, I found the R-Pro in question so have no idea about its history. We were actually using it for a dog disc, but now I'm kind of sorry we did, seeing as how nicely it drives. I don't have a lot of confidence in driving or even approaching with my DX P&A. Just doesn't seem glidey enough to get very far. With my weanie arm I generally use mids to lay up from even 40-50' out. I drilled a 50 footer with my DX Shark earlier today :thmbup:

Just to reiterate, I found the R-Pro in question so have no idea about its history. We were actually using it for a dog disc, but now I'm kind of sorry we did, seeing as how nicely it drives. I don't have a lot of confidence in driving or even approaching with my DX P&A. Just doesn't seem glidey enough to get very far. With my weanie arm I generally use mids to lay up from even 40-50' out. I drilled a 50 footer with my DX Shark earlier today :thmbup:

Nothing wrong with using mids for layups. I used my Pink Panther for spike hyzers around obstacles (usually large pine trees) at 50-75 foot distances, and while I now use the Champion Rhyno for a lot of that work, the Panther is still there if I need it for that. Also, I use my Star Gator to putt into a strong headwind. So nothing wrong with that.

And if you're not liking your DX P&A... don't use it(!). Use what works, and do what is the most fun for you. :thmbup: :hfive:

I don't know the physics behind it but I definitely get better drives out of the JK Aviars over KC's or DX P&A's. I have a feeling the soft plastics may be a bit more forgiving to form.

first off, I have no experience with R-Pro Aviars but plenty with DX/XT/Champ/Star. They were my go-to putters for 5 years regardless of whether I was throwing max weight or my all-150 bag. Sorry I can't help with the original question.

Jumping into the conversation of soft vs. hard:
I always had noticeably better results with the firmer discs. I started to notice this back when I first started back when I was throwing hard Magnets and Soft Magnets. And I noticed it later on when I started buying Proline and R-Pro Rhynos to complement my DX and Champs. Wizards, Warlocks, Magics, APXs, Challengers, etc... all the same with me. I stopped buying soft discs after trying so many and not liking them as much.

I don't know the physics behind it but I definitely get better drives out of the JK Aviars over KC's or DX P&A's. I have a feeling the soft plastics may be a bit more forgiving to form.

HiFi- So what do you mean by "better drives" with the softer JKs instead of the KCs? Do they go where you want? Fly further? Release cleaner? Something else?

For the way I throw, I get all three of those categories with the firmer discs.

I'm wondering if it is a grip issue. I use a modified fan grip and my thumb is way out to the edge. The best way to describe my thumb location is where the Rhyno Thumtrac wants your thumb to sit. I'm throwing them 300' on a golf line. My hands are rarely ever dry because of my natural hand oils. I'm wondering if any of these factors influence peoples' preferences.

Basic rule of thumb has always been that the stiffer discs were better for driving, that any sort of distortion of the plastic that you might get from a floppy/soft putter would make it harder for you to get a clean release when thrown at full power. I have no evidence to back this up, but most people I know that are good disc golfers use a firm putter as thier driving putter.

Better drives as in better distance and control really, less OAT. I have a feeling it may be my form and grip since others don't seem to have the same experience. Again I don't understand it but the case was the same for me with soft vs firm Judges.

Sorry to revive an old thread...but for anyone who has tried an R-Pro Aviar and a BT Soft (specifically the Swan 1 Reborn), how do these two plastics compare?

Putting really well with both the Aviar P&A DX and the Judge Classic Blend, but love the feel of the BT Soft on my Swan 1 Reborn. Just wondering how close the R-Pro felt to the BT Soft.

Also, how well does the R-Pro plastic hold up compared to the DX if only using the disc for putting?

Thanks!

TripleB

Latest posts