• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

RAINFLYS - Grip/Mahal/Revo

bziggz

At the risk of re-opening an apparently volatile subject...

Could we get a little comparison as to how these backpacks perform in the rain?

The Grip's rainfly seems to cover the whole bag, the Mahal's leaves the pockets exposed. The Revolution doesn't seem to address the issue at all.

Is the Grip's rainfly redundant for everyone who carries an umbrella?

How well does the Mahal's umbrella clip work in the field?

The revo is at least water resistant, light rain doesn't soak through the bag. I've been considering buying a rain cover meant for hiking day packs to put on mine on really rainy days.

The Mahals zippers are waterproof along with the entire bag. I have had my bag in a downpour for the most of the round and everything stayed completely dry.

The Revolution doesn't seem to address the issue at all.
I believe all revolution bags have a secondary main compartment cover that is oversized and clips into the front of the bag. You can still access the discs with the cover clipped in place. And it's a lightweight Waterproof cordura material. the dual pack doesn't have one as the opening sits vertically and rain isn't too much of a problem in the opening. Well, it hasn't been for me.

The raifly on the Grip is awesome, it really does a great job in keeping everything inside the bag dry. I still carry an umbrella if it does rain and still put my bag under it when Im shooting but I only do because theres no reason not to. I really carry an umbrella just to try and keep myself dry.

I've played in heavy rain with both the Grip and the Revo Carolina.

The Grip performs better in heavy rain; while the Revo would be my preference for light/off-and-on Midwestern drizzle.

The Revo's cordura is, in my experience, 90% waterproof, even after rubberizing the bottom. Perfect for drizzle, as it's nice not having to use a rainguard. But I still had to pack zip lock bags for my valuables for when it was really coming down. The shape of the bag itself is really my biggest problem. As the rain flap sags into the disc area a bit, and so collected water and occasionally dumped it on the discs below when I wasn't careful.

The Grip's rainguard is a bit cumbersome, but it would take a blast from a firehose and your discs would still be bone dry.

My grip bag's fly covers the whole bag. easily deployed and fits snugly over the whole thing and snaps in place, love it. The other nice thing is if you leave the bottom two snaps undone you can still get to your plastic easily.

My Mahal withstood some monsoon-like downpours last fall. My phone and wallet were completely dry at the end of the day. That is what I know.

The Golf Mahal is completely waterproof. I've played in multiple rainstorms and downpours and nothing gets wet inside, including no seepage up through the bottom.
How well does the Mahal's umbrella clip work in the field?
Quite well. I modified an umbrella to keep it from hitting me in the face, I'm 6'3", and I have no problems with it staying put. In all honesty though I don't use it as much as I just carry the umbrella. Since the bag's waterproof I prefer to keep myself dry as I walk to my lie and line up a shot/putt and let the bag sit.
1000000529.JPG

to the op,non of the pockets are exposed on the mahal,its all covered and water proof. very fast drying too. ive yet to have a prob with rain with the mahal. very durable to boot

I'm just chiming in and in agreence with 100% of what the above Mahal owners have stated. I've had more then a couple rounds where not only was I completely saturated with water, but the Mahal just laughed at it! The bag dries amazingly fast as well. The only thing that can get wet is the actual bottom of the pockets if there in standing water. I haven't had a problem with it, but the inside bottom of the pockets were a little moist after playing through a torrential down pour. The stuff inside wasn't wet, but felt a little damp, it was a towel.

Hey guys thanks a ton. No better way to get info than from people that use the products themselves.

Previous threads have knocked the grips workmanship, but claimed version 2.0 would address that. Any word on if how well that went? Should this question be a new thread?

I have been using my grip 2.0 since september. No complaints so far. It is much more comfortable than the revo dual pack. Also feels lighter with more discs.

Although I can not yet comment on the long term durability, the initial quality is top notch.

And yes, the question should probably be a new thread unless you'd like to read up and/or post here...Grip EQ Large bag thread

Latest posts