• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Rank the Molds in Your Own Bag

Omega- AP for drives and approaches ET for putts

Aftershock- heavy sparkle for stanle light sparkle for understable

Squall- when you're not sure what to throw you can park it with a squall, overlaps with my drivers and I don't care

Roadrunner- woods carving magic, this is my most used driver

Eagle x- do everything fairway

Tsunami- just the right amount of over stable, sad they're oop

Breaker- predictable

Kaxe or quake- not sure which will win the battle, beefy goodness/ forehand mid

Reef- floaty magic

This is an awesome thread idea!

1) Zone: I bag a Z and two Jawbreakers, these cover almost all my approach shots. Forehand Zone approaches are by far the strongest shot in my game. Even with bad drives these tend to save my par.

2) Teebird: These cover most of my drives. I am comfortable with them both forehand and backhand, and they are my go to for almost anything under 300 feet. I bag three of these most of the time (I'm including my Halo TB3 because it's essentially the same mold).

3) Wraith: I always have 4 or 5 of these in the bag and they are the fastest disc I throw. Comfy in the hand, extremely consistent and reliable flight. Only driver I throw.

4) Aviar P&A: In DX, I putt with a pair of these and use one more for floaty approach shots that my zones won't cover. It's nothing remarkable, but it is a good consistent putter in nice feeling plastic. I love putting with DX.

5) Firebird: This would be much higher if it weren't used so seldomly. My Firebird is a FLAT luster and it is extremely trustworthy in any conditions. It is a placement disc, both forehand and backhand shots that have to fade, and fade quickly. I used to throw a Star as well but the Halo TB3 took it's spot.

6) Buzzz: Workhorse midrange. I'm not a huge mid thrower, and I'm bouncing between Buzzes and Wasps, but when I bag the beefy Wasp I find that I never end up throwing it. I can do just as much with my Buzzz on hyzer and by Buzzz feels 10x better in the hand for forehand (Wasps have dome and bead, gross)

7) Drone/Quake: I put two molds because I am stuck between them. The Drone is awesome because it is ESP FLX and sticks. The Quake is awesome because it feels like a Buzzz and is easy to forehand. I'll pick one eventually.

8) Leopard3: Great disc, I just don't use it a ton. This is beat to flippy and it great for this shot. If I ever lose my beat to death Teebird that flies dead straight, ill put a fresh L3 in its spot.

That's it. I have multiples of almost everything and for once everything seems to be fairly locked in to the bag. This was a fun post.

1: Z Buzzz. Depending which tees this is my most thrown disc from the tee pad at my local. Also my tournament ace disc. Does Buzzz things though at 167G it's a touch flippier than some of what you all throw, which is fine for my noodle arm.

2: Thunderbird. Depending on the weather and my mood I alternate between color glow champ, gstar, and pro. Dependable for forehands and straight to fade backhands.

3: Comet. Right now I'm bagging an MJ ESP. A good comet rip is a thing of beauty.

4: Stego. Ridiculous, absurd disc that's always fun to throw.

5: Valkyrie. Currently bagging a beat DX in a gorgeous fluorescent pink. It's a touch flippy even for my noodle arm but when i hit those hyzer and nose angles right it'll flip up and go for dayzzz. Doesn't rank higher because I just don't have many chances to let er rip on the home course.

6: Z Zone. It's a trusty go to but it's not particularly fun or flashy. Would have a hard time living without it but hard pressed to call it a favorite for purposes of this thread.

7: Wiz. It's a putter. Mainly use it for putting. Not particularly exciting. Should get better at throwing it off the tee.

This sounds like a fun idea and a good mental exercise for me to think more about my bag set up. I agree, every disc serves its own purpose so ranking them is going to be difficult. I think my ranking system will be mostly based on how much I love a mold and how unlikely I will be towards changing its slot. This will be fun to re-visit in a year.

1) Warlock: I only use it for putting and I don't think I will ever use another putter (unless I get sponsored). The height, shape and feel is great, I love the variety of plastics. I'm so used to using them, I can't imagine using a different putter.
2) Shryke: It's just so fun to throw. I find its easy to get distance, but the disc isn't so overstable that I am ever worried about veering off line, or having to put so much power to compensate. Can't see myself ever taking it out of the bag.
3) Pure: Another disc that feels effortless to throw. Once you've figured out the release point for this disc, the only thing you have to worry about is going past your target. It glides and holds lines so well, I can't believe I played for so many years without it.
4) MD: I'm noticing a trend already. My most effortless midrange. Almost the same release point as the pure, but just with a bit more force to get it up to speed. It's so controllable for approach shots, backhand or forehand, it's a must-have for any course that I am unfamiliar with.
5) CD2: There are few molds in my bag that I enjoy throwing both backhand and forehand. The CD2 is one of them. I can get both shots out so far and so straight with minimal fade. I only needed to throw it a few times before I fell in love and knew I would never change it up.
6) Quake: I spent years looking for "a longer zone", and finally found it in the quake. I love it for forehands, because it's not as dumpy as a justice or gator, it's got way better glide while still finishing strong. Right now with the glow season going on, it's the only slot in my bag that is missing and I wish glow quakes were more of a thing.

7) Firebird: I should clarify: Sexton firebird. I have two seasoned 2017s that I use all the time and I love its reliability and feel. I don't know how I'll replace them if I ever lose them.
8) Valkyrie: Easily my favourite driver of all time, but it's lower down the list because the plastic and run matters so much. The Valkyries I love have that easy to reach turn and glide with minimal dump in the fade. I don't think I'd ever replace this mold, but if I am unable to find new ones that fly the same, I'd probably have to.
9) MD4: Another disc that I love backhanding and forehanding. It feels so great in the hand...flat with no bead. I feel like I know what it's going to do whenever it's in my hand, and although I've tried different molds for this slot, I still find myself putting the MD4 in the bag.
10/11/12) Envy/Zone/Buzzz: Now things are going to get harder to quantify. I love all of these molds for their shot type, because they feel great and perform so well for me, but I can easily see myself replacing them with other very decent molds. These days I tend to switch things up and throw Rekos, Harps and Rocs just for fun.
13) Destroyer: It's ironic that at one point, I would've said the destroyer was the only disc I would never take out of my bag. But improving my skills definitely led me to realize this disc saw very little regular usage, and was very replaceable with any number of distance drivers with similar flight numbers.
14/15) Leopard3/TL3: Really good fairway drivers and I enjoy the feel and flight, but nothing particularly memorable and I feel I can replace them with any number of popular fairways on the market.

How to rank my bag, some are different even within a mold due to different plastics and slight wear despite weights being nearly the same. Then some like my Putters I wear in a tad in the beginning the closer to have same flight from the one used for under ~21-23 feet and less worn in one used from 21-23 feet out to 34-40 feet depending on the wind. I do the different wears so the fade on closer putts is same as longer where I need to use more body/power on disc to get the same flight.

How to rank my bag, some are different even within a mold due to different plastics and slight wear despite weights being nearly the same. Then some like my Putters I wear in a tad in the beginning the closer to have same flight from the one used for under ~21-23 feet and less worn in one used from 21-23 feet out to 34-40 feet depending on the wind. I do the different wears so the fade on closer putts is same as longer where I need to use more body/power on disc to get the same flight.

For obvious reasons my main putting putters will not be included or both discs molds same mold but one is modified DGA of the mold would be ranking 1 Magnet in Jawbreaker and 2 for DGA Proline Titianic, all discs at 173-174 grams or 175 weight gram sets.

1. ESP Impact, due to being between a midrange and driver in discs and can hit the long gaps in very tight woods, one of my most used along with number 2 on the list.

2. Star Shark over Pro Shark both ~175-174 grams this is due to Star Shark also being able to hold the line better due to plastic being more durable for a driving putter so Star does more then just approach shot and putter in the wind.

3. Pro shark to do from long putts to long approach, windy putter and if more wind then I want, Star Shark is the mold.

4. Valkyrie in both Star flat top or main Champion Glow throw this if I am not sure I should throw my faster fairway, Stalker or my New longer Star Archon with dome.

5. Z Stalker 170-172 gram weight set for headwinds I used to use the old Z XL for, still have a old before ESP changed in late 2007 a mid 2007 ESP XL with a tournament stamp that is ranked the same level as the Z Stalker discs I have.

6. Champion Shark 3, used for my true single midrange though the Archer can do midrange stuff too being speed 5-6.

7. Dragon mostly the water saves and for tailwind open/open calm bombs, due to weight always around 150 grams.

8. Archon in star this disc bombs for my arm speed and is the first distance 11to be called a max distance driver.

9. Z Archer 170-172 gram great for fade to left shots and backhand rollers on hard ground, softer I should use my Dragon for rolling.

10. Champion Destroyer 167 grams with average Dome height but Flat top. this is less OS so it can fly better then 170 gram same plastic but with odd normal height dome that goes almost to edge, not how this 170 gram Destroyer is meant to be so it flies worse then Champion Destroyer 167 grams.

11. 170 gram Champion Destroyer, this mold flies worse then the 167 gram disc so it has been designated my I should

12. Champion Archon this is a dud due to no glide and came out so stiff I had to hot water the disc to soften the plastic to be PDGA legal. Still slick and no glide at all, why is Innova still making the Champion Archon if the Champion plastic is now over stiff over slick Jolly Launcher style Champion. This disc has odd double dome where it domes then flatter but still doming ridge and domes again to flat top and it sucks. The only reason I have the mold is for high beyond 25 mph steady headwind where I need to stay on a line, gusts only if I am getting gusts for throw that are lasting. I really do not need this disc in bag so it might disappear in 2021 gone forever at a thrift store.

This is an awesome thread idea!

1) Zone: I bag a Z and two Jawbreakers, these cover almost all my approach shots. Forehand Zone approaches are by far the strongest shot in my game. Even with bad drives these tend to save my par.

2) Teebird: These cover most of my drives. I am comfortable with them both forehand and backhand, and they are my go to for almost anything under 300 feet. I bag three of these most of the time (I'm including my Halo TB3 because it's essentially the same mold).

3) Wraith: I always have 4 or 5 of these in the bag and they are the fastest disc I throw. Comfy in the hand, extremely consistent and reliable flight. Only driver I throw.

4) Aviar P&A: In DX, I putt with a pair of these and use one more for floaty approach shots that my zones won't cover. It's nothing remarkable, but it is a good consistent putter in nice feeling plastic. I love putting with DX.

5) Firebird: This would be much higher if it weren't used so seldomly. My Firebird is a FLAT luster and it is extremely trustworthy in any conditions. It is a placement disc, both forehand and backhand shots that have to fade, and fade quickly. I used to throw a Star as well but the Halo TB3 took it's spot.

6) Buzzz: Workhorse midrange. I'm not a huge mid thrower, and I'm bouncing between Buzzes and Wasps, but when I bag the beefy Wasp I find that I never end up throwing it. I can do just as much with my Buzzz on hyzer and by Buzzz feels 10x better in the hand for forehand (Wasps have dome and bead, gross)

7) Drone/Quake: I put two molds because I am stuck between them. The Drone is awesome because it is ESP FLX and sticks. The Quake is awesome because it feels like a Buzzz and is easy to forehand. I'll pick one eventually.

8) Leopard3: Great disc, I just don't use it a ton. This is beat to flippy and it great for this shot. If I ever lose my beat to death Teebird that flies dead straight, ill put a fresh L3 in its spot.

That's it. I have multiples of almost everything and for once everything seems to be fairly locked in to the bag. This was a fun post.

Great bag. I would enjoy throwing this.

Great bag. I would enjoy throwing this.

Here's the actual breakdown I've got typed out, the number is a "stability" number I made up. It's basically the Fade minus Turn of the disc.

Distance Drivers:
Halo Star Wraith - 3
Star Wraith - 2
Star Wraith - 1
Pro Wraith - 1
Star Wraith - 0

Fairway Drivers:
Champion Firebird - 4
Halo Star Teebird3 - 3
Champion Teebird - 2
Champion Teebird - 1
Champion Leopard3 - 0

Midranges:
ESP FLX Drone - 4
ProLine Quake - 4
Z Buzzz - 2
Big Z Buzzz - 0

Approach:
Z Zone - 3
Jawbreaker Zone - 2
Jawbreaker Zone - 1
DX Aviar P&A - 0

Putter:
2x DX Aviar P&A

Hmmm this will be tough but I'll try
Comet/Zone both are so crucial to my bag and both are huge favs of mine so trying to pick one is almost impossible
Luna putting putter, makes c2 putts well and very good inside the circle
Zeus love bombing a disc on hyzer further than the rest of the card can full flight a disc
Hades who doesn't love watching a huge bomb thrown
Buzzz do I need an explanation
Stalker longer Buzzz
Raptor OS utility disc
Fierce US approach putter and wet/cold putting putter
Buzzz SS longer Fierce
Force longer Raptor
Undertaker longer Stalker

1. Truth (premac and emac): most shots up to 280
2. Felon: forehands, all angles up to 300
3. Pure: straight approaches up to 220
4. Stag: backhands to 330
5. Raider: distance forehands to 350
6. Fuse: straight to under stable up to 250
7. Faith: inside circle putting
8. Defender: flex/windy forehands to 325
9. Flow: backhand drives to 325
10. Justice: forehand approaches to 220
11. Hatchet: straight to under stable backhands when I can't throw a forehand

4. "Distance Driver du Jour - I have a weak arm, I like to "cheat" and get some extra distance for "free", and no I usually dont have any idea where its going.

I'm intrigued but I think I know what you're saying. I tried some lighter discs but they are super unpredictable. I have settled on a triad of 170-175g distance drivers that I can use, depending on the wind:

Innova Star Wraith, for distance into a strong wind.
Innova Pro Beast, for distance into light wind. Longest throw 110m.
Prodigy X1, for distance with no wind or a tail wind. Longest throw 120m.

If I had a massive tail wind I guess I might try my Mystere (which remains a mystery) or one of my light blizzard discs (Beast, Wraith, Katana, Teedevil) but who knows where they will go.

Tsunami- just the right amount of over stable, sad they're oop

Didn't know that. Accidentally bought two rather than one 150g ones and I love it as a get-out-of-trouble disc or an effortless high spike hyzer. The base plastic is getting beat in, partly due to the kids loving them for forehand flex shots. 😢

It's hard to say but this is pretty close based on my recent rounds;

1. Flare- I carry three of these for a reason. A shot between 300-400 where a FH line is at all possible, it's probably coming out and depending on the angle the skip or stick can be quite beneficial. It is usually in any bag configuration I carry as the most prominent member.

2. Stego- the disc that I'm probably most well known for throwing and enjoy throwing a lot, I throw it a lot for hit and stick shots 250 or less, on the tee or fairway it saves be a ton of strokes.

3. Stag- my most used backhand disc and one of only a hand full I've aced with. Great for hyzerflips, turnovers and even the powered down straight to fade shots.

4. Justice- in between the Stego and Flare is the Justice. Working flex lines, straight to fade and putting forehands by the pin all the time.

5. Warhorse- full on Max D forehands. It would be higher, but it's rare for me to need it more than 2-3 shots per round

6. Swan2- my putting putter and straight approach disc. Super important, not glamorous but gets the job done.

7. Harp- I use it a lot for short backhands and hit and stick shots, some forehand use but mainly backhand hyzers.

8. Tyrant- my I need to throw a low hard backhand 350 and it can't flip disc. I use it a ton on certain courses, almost none on others. Has won me $35 in CTP money this year.

9. Bard- go to midrange, mainly for backhand. Use it off the tee some, and for backhand shots in between the Harp and Tyrant.

10. Warship- the ideal floaty mid to hit and hold a straight line. Depending on the course I may throw it a ton or not at all.

11. Kahu- this is actually an amazing disc, and the one I can throw the farthest backhand, but me throwing a Max D backhand only happens on certain courses, and even then only a few times per round.

There are so many discs that cycle in and out of my travel bag that I won't list those. Almost too many good discs these days.

That's a really interesting bag and I have thrown some of those discs. Cool to hear your thoughts. Use my Justice for insane short-range skips.

It would be interesting to go through this thread and record which discs are consistently top three

Well that's a good plan choosing between our discs..

1. Ohm - I hate playing without it. Massive everything disc except the putting, I can get by if I pack my heavy se one for putts but that brings us to:

2. Envy who woulda thunk it, but I cant hit as many putts without it. I can drive it straight or fh it depending on which ones I'm packing. If I pack 3 I can drop my ohm but why?

3. Wave easy distance across a couple weights and plastics can always push it straight. Same thing if I packed 3 I could almost have a full driver set

4. Tesla because I need an os compliment, even though it doesn't get thrown as much as 5,6,7 I'd be hosed without it.

5. Comet I would say, pure fun factor good glide it fills the mid hole.

6. Relay because it goes further than the Comet and is a backbone of the bag, I would rank it higher but my regular courses are either short enough for a putter or too far for anything but max d. Fills a mid to fairway spot and especially anhyzer scrambles.

7. Crave because the Relay doesn't do everything stable and mine are eclipse.

8. Disc de Jour. Because they is always time to try one more haha. Eclipse Reactor, proton Spin, 143 fission photon, switch, roadrunner, catalyst, entropy, tangent... ya know.

Last edited:
Well that's a good plan choosing between our discs..

1. Ohm - I hate playing without it. Massive everything disc except the putting, I can get by if I pack my heavy se one for putts but that brings us to:

2. Envy who woulda thunk it, but I cant hit as many putts without it. I can drive it straight or fh it depending on which ones I'm packing. If I pack 3 I can drop my ohm but why?

Time to change your screen name to ThrowanOhm!

Time to change your screen name to ThrowanOhm!

ThrowaXXX

X gonna give it ya, x gonna give it ya!

Not quite yet but it's my one disc choice, beating a Comet, Envy or Tangent.. It fits right there in the same spectrum.

Straight shots, easier to get up to speed than a Comet, more glide than a Tangent and less power hungry, can have decent envy fade but much more controllable, it is very broken in Envy flight with a similar ish feel. It kinda does everything decent and for those short lasers bh or fh pitch putts it's unstoppable.

That's a really interesting bag and I have thrown some of those discs. Cool to hear your thoughts. Use my Justice for insane short-range skips.

I've got a bit of a hipster bag, not intentional, just ones that have appealed to me and work.