• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Compare] Rank the Molds in Your Own Bag

I'm an older player that like to minimize molds-Max D is in the 380' range without consistent serious fieldwork.

1. Harp- I have 3 in a variety of plastics. I tried the Zone but this is better for me. It was eye opening and changed my game.

2. Reko - My putting was worse than anyone, literally, that I knew. Even beginners. I made the decision to fix that part of my game. After trying every putter available it was the winner, Low profile and a little puddle top. This and a little practice and my putting is now average among my peers. It's not number 1 because I feel like there is probably a mold that would fit me better out there. I'll keep looking.

3. Roc - A Staple forever. I keep one champ and 3 dx which get cycled. If I am known for anything it is throwing these. Not number 1 because it's boring at this point.

4. Teebird - I usually carry one Gstar and 2 Champ or a Champ and a Star. Basically a work horse. It isn't my favorite because the rim bugs me sometimes. Usually it is fine.

5. Wraith - I love these when I am throwing well. I use all plastics for all distance shots. There are usually 5 in my bag from flippy to stable. Every spring I have to clean up my form in order to be able to justify this much disc.

6.- Firebird - I really don't know why I carry this. I can't throw it worth jack. Every time I use it I fail and realize a Teebird, Roc or stable Wraith would have been better.

1) Buzzz I throw this disc well (enough), even when I'm off. Most holes in my area average 350ish, so this, the SS, and the OS are 95% off the tee.
2) Buzzz SS Best feeling disc to me. Number two spot is for the freshies, but I do keep a slightly worn one, for high turnovers or tail winds.
3) Buzzz OS Board flat, sexiness.
4) Roach When my putting is on (like, every 10th round) this smooth convex beadless wing putter takes the number one spot.

I'll do a top ... as of today...

1. Dynamic Discs Vandal I use this to drive a lot
2. Kastaplast Kaxe Z Great overall stable mid
3. Prodigy Pa3 400g Mainly used for approach shots. Just sticks.
4. Innova Eagle star lots of forehands
5. Gateway Wizard putts and more putts
6. Discmania Origin
7. Innova Teebird 3
8. Discraft Hades
9. Discmania Tactic
10. Discraft Luna 60-100 foot putts.

ThrowaXXX

X gonna give it ya, x gonna give it ya!

Not quite yet but it's my one disc choice, beating a Comet, Envy or Tangent.. It fits right there in the same spectrum.

Straight shots, easier to get up to speed than a Comet, more glide than a Tangent and less power hungry, can have decent envy fade but much more controllable, it is very broken in Envy flight with a similar ish feel. It kinda does everything decent and for those short lasers bh or fh pitch putts it's unstoppable.

Glad you're liking the Ohm. I'm tinkering with putting an Envy back in the bag. For the past year I've gotten by with discing down in speed to a Berg, up in speed to an Emac Truth, up in stability to a Zone, or down in stability to a Judge. Typically one of those four options works out just as well. But man, I do sometimes miss the jack-of-all trades Envy. Problem is I lost my last one a year ago and never replaced it, so I would actually have to go buy a few if I want to throw them again.

Not including the Lunas I putt with...

1. Neutron Envy - pretty straight with small reliable fade. Used pretty much for most shots from 75 - 250 feet.
2. Z Comet (MJ) - small controllable turn on all the holes designed for righty hyzers. Also can throw dead straight hyzer flips in the woods.
3. Star Shark (PFN) - straight with small reliable fade. One of my first discs and still one of my favorites.
4. Ti Mantis (Ace Race 2013) - straight, almost no turn or fade.
5. Star Wraith - straight with small reliable fade. My first distance driver, and still my favorite

Overall, I just really like putters and mids... also about to add a Soft Neutron Proxy.

10. Zone - overstable utility approach disc, usually a sign I screwed up.
11. Archer - very understable mid, usually a sign I screwed up the other way.

My bag is still in a bit of flux but I'll list the ones that has a place locked down. The staples so to speak.

Felon - I love this slot in the bag and I loved the Firebird when I used it, as well as the Raptor. But the Felon sits so comfortably in my hand. I feel so confident and accurate with this mold. BH/FH, hyzers, flex shots, skip shots...

Zone - I used (and loved) the Harp and Pig before I tried the Zone but when I first tried it I realised I was never in love with those other discs. Super reliable, consistent and accurate. Super comfortable compared to the other two. From experience I hesitate to say stuff like this but this is the disc I can not see leaving my bag. Unless the shot really doesn't call for it I'm throwing this for my approach.

Undertaker - Love this slot in the bag. I haven't bagged the Undertaker for that long but I like it for slight hyzer flips which is my bread and butter shot.

Wraith - Perfect stability for me and very versatile. I own longer discs but I'm most comfortable with this one for controlled distance.

Roach - Quite a new addition to the bag but I really like the flight of it. Both for throwing and putting.

Buzzz - I'm torn about the Buzzz. I don't throw midranges a ton but when I do it's usually a good shot, but I still don't feel confident and accurate with it in my hand. This is a part of my game that I need to work on and when I do, maybe this disc will climb the list.

Rocs -- They're Rocs. Most anything from 150 to 320, they can cover it.Most courses can be played to par or better with just Rocs and a putter.

Orion LFs -- Go far. Tons of control. Cycle from OS to roller. What more do you need in a driver?

Wizards -- They putt. They throw. If i could only have 3 molds, I would go with Rocs, OLFs, and Wizards.

Firebirds -- FHs. Utility. Hyzers. Skips. Firebird stuff.

Destroyers -- Go far. Super OS to rollers, they cover go-far.

Harps -- Overstable mini Rocs? Yes please.

Gazelles -- Anything between a Roc and an Orion. But I could live without them just fine.

1) Classic Aviar. Love the stamp. Love the idea of using one of the classics. Such a simple disc. Need confidence to make a lot of putts. Need to like your putter to be confident.

2) Roc. I accidentally opened up my game by throwing these for everything to start a cycle.

3) Beast. I have a couple. They are typically my go to drivers. Who doesn't like pushing out a driver?

4) Judge. My more traditional approach disc and the classic blend Judge in my bag is the first disc that I bought.

5) Teebird. Got a few. Need these to score.

6) Jokeri. Fun approach shots.

7) Pure. I really like it, but I struggle a bit to find shots for it.

8) Hatchet. We haven't really hit it off.

Even though I've played less than 10 rounds since this, so much has changed....

1) Wasp

2) Opto Air Ballista

3) Prodigy F2

4) Roc

5) Classic Aviar

6) Judge

7) Hatchet

8) Zone

9) Jokeri

10) Volt

1. Roc - All types - I use rocs from 100' to the high 300's
2. Firebird - Most forehands and almost all wide open hyzers
3. KC Aviar - Just for putting
4. Eagle - Shaping lines in the wood
5. Destroyer - Insert distance driver here
6. Teebird - Used only on occasion but is super useful
7. Zone - Most short upshots - could take the zone out and just use rocs and firebirds

1. Wasp- most used disc
2. Crank/Tern- flippy distance
3. Comet- flippy mid
4. Zone- Approach/FH
5. Scale- Approaches- slow
6. Anax- Stable fade
7. Wizards- Putters- too many to switch

As someone who throws both backhand and forehand this is hard since I have a favortie for each type, but I'll play by the rules

1. Wraith - Best workhorse disc, I carry them from flippy roller to headwind driver. Most versitle driver that I've ever used.
2. Buzzz - Amazind disc, it holds its line and is comfortable forehand and back, the only mid I carry (unless you count the Zone)
3. FD - Almost like cheating keeping this thing in the fairway. I use it for hyzer flip to flat throws that land flat
4. Destroyer - Forehand workhorse disc for me. I carry 3 from an overstable halo down to an understable one for rollers and tailwind
5. PD - Straight to fade, amazingly controllable and predictable
6. Reko - K1 off of the tee and K3 for approaches, my favorite nuetral putter that I've ever thrown
7. Roadrunner - Color glow for super understable and halo for straight control (seriously, I want more halo roadrunners, they are so good)
8. Slab - New to the bag, great utility disc and amazing overhand disc
9. Zone - Now that I've added a CT to the Z FLX that I was bagging, this has become a disc that I use more and more
10. Stal - I use it the way others use their Sexton Firebird. It is overstable while still being controllable. I hate that the new ones are domey because flat Stals are amazing discs
11. FD2 - Great disc, I seem to throw the FD or PD more, but still love this disc for a shorter straight to fade disc that is also really comfortable backhand
12. - Nuke OS - I like this disc when it is needed, I only throw it forehand on something that needs to fade hard but still get good distance

1. Wizard - can never have too many.
2. Firebird - when you don't know what to throw, just throw a Firebird.
3. Comet - has become one of my go-to discs especially in the woods.
4. Stalker - Like a midrange+ for me, controllable but with driver distance. Unique feel.
5. Outlaw - I know it's just a destroyer clone, but nothing else gives me the same consistency.
6. Zone - pretty much the perfect forehand approach disc, but not really unique anymore. Lots of options.
7. Ghost - my favorite of the Roc clones, but easily replaceable.
8. PD - love them but too hard to find good replacements. Lots of alternatives nowadays.
9. Nemesis - I lost my good glow one and none of the replacements have flown the same. It's a really touchy disc.

Can't believe I haven't submitted something in this thread...

1) Rocs, not 3's but real Rocs, because you know "Rocs".

2) Wizards, see signature, putting, driving and approaching...
3) A lid, prefer big like a 71c mold but small like a Polecat works too.

4) Under-stable drivers, for shaping shots.
5) Over-stable drivers, for trying to be consistent and control the shot.

Indecision makes this odd since I never really figure out what I'm using and just have two bags with different discs, so this might only make sense to me.

1. Roc/Comet-workhorse mids get a lot of throws

2. Wizards/Warlocks-putters get a lot of throws.

3. Valkyrie-when I don't cary Valks I end up with more drivers in play; Valks are controllable to take a lot of my fairways driver throws and long enough to take distance driver throws. Valks are like a two for one special.

4. Firebird/Preadator-everybody needs a hyzer disc, right?

------line in the sand: when I go minimalist, the bag stops here------------

5. XD/Sol-something that I can throw a touch approach shot with

6. Cyclone/JLS-Valks cut into the use here, but fairways drivers still get their throws.

7. Scale-A year ago this would have been higher, I'm consciously trying to ween myself off the OS approach crutch.

8. unLace-One-trick tailwind hyzerflip driver.

9. Sentinel MF-When it's in the bag I almost never throw it, when it's out of the bag I almost always need it.

Cool, time for 2021 preseason rankings! These discs may or may not stay in the ranked slots during the season :D

1. Comet - the best golf disc ever made

2. Breaker - the approach MVP

3. Orion LF - versatility MVP. Forehand, backhand, flex lines, and mulit-angle shots when beat up - it can do it all. The workhorse.

4. Predator - an old favorite is back in the bag

5. Sidewinder - sneaky long, easy to throw and work angles in the woods, both forehand and backhand.

6. Pilot - low profile, flat top stable putter that I've been wanting for a long time

--Everything after this is fairly utilitarian: discs that I don't need but carry for certain shots or courses. Sometimes I never throw these, while the top 6 gets the vast majority of the work.

7. Maverick - versatile fairway that doesn't need a lot of power. This is the closest driver I've thrown to a Comet flight

8. Aftershock - generic straight to fade midrange, but the grip is lovely.

9. Quake - when a breaker doesn't cut it, this is the disc

10. Trace - the standard distance driver, nothing exciting.

11. Force - great disc for the BDH

Last edited:
9. Sentinel MF-When it's in the bag I almost never throw it, when it's out of the bag I almost always need it.

I've got a stack of old Sentinels in kc pro and I've developed a love/hate relationship with them. I love them because when I throw them well, they are the most pin point accurate laser beam in my bag. I hate them because they seem to be very nose angle sensitive - they really like to be thrown low, hard and nose down. If I screw up the nose angle or don't hit them right , they really make me pay. I've gotten to the point where I love them for field work but I don't even bag them for scored rounds lol.

What shots do you encounter where you find yourself missing them ?

I've got a stack of old Sentinels in kc pro and I've developed a love/hate relationship with them. I love them because when I throw them well, they are the most pin point accurate laser beam in my bag. I hate them because they seem to be very nose angle sensitive - they really like to be thrown low, hard and nose down. If I screw up the nose angle or don't hit them right , they really make me pay. I've gotten to the point where I love them for field work but I don't even bag them for scored rounds lol.

What shots do you encounter where you find yourself missing them ?
You already said it. Low line mid shots I need to throw hard to bust through. Rocs and Comets kinda lift and ride a higher line so low ceiling shots can cause me an issue. Sentinels are faster and run that low line; sometimes finessing a Comet through the woods when you have that open low-line hyzer line you can just bust through seems like making disc golf needlessly complicated. If I decide I haven't thrown a Sentinel in two months and it can stay home, I'm immediately going to find myself looking at that shot going "D'OH!" and cursing as I try to finesse a Comet through the head of a needle.

Indecision makes this odd since I never really figure out what I'm using and just have two bags with different discs, so this might only make sense to me.

1. Roc/Comet-workhorse mids get a lot of throws

2. Wizards/Warlocks-putters get a lot of throws.

3. Valkyrie-when I don't cary Valks I end up with more drivers in play; Valks are controllable to take a lot of my fairways driver throws and long enough to take distance driver throws. Valks are like a two for one special.

4. Firebird/Preadator-everybody needs a hyzer disc, right?

------line in the sand: when I go minimalist, the bag stops here------------

5. XD/Sol-something that I can throw a touch approach shot with

6. Cyclone/JLS-Valks cut into the use here, but fairways drivers still get their throws.

7. Scale-A year ago this would have been higher, I'm consciously trying to ween myself off the OS approach crutch.

8. unLace-One-trick tailwind hyzerflip driver.

Exciting to see a Cyclone thrower. That is the one Ledgestone disc that I'm excited about.

Exciting to see a Cyclone thrower. That is the one Ledgestone disc that I'm excited about.
They had them a couple of years ago but no one in my family could take the hint that it would make a great gift and I didn't get any. They looked good, had the old X Stamp on ESP plastic. I was bumming when I didn't get one. The stamps this year for the first batch of Ledgestone discs looked meh but I'll probably try to guilt somebody into buying me an ESP Cyclone again. I'll fail, but whatever.

Latest posts