• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rating = ? Division

All PDGA events payout top 50%, or very close to it. And you dont get cash in Advanced.

cash is often used as (perhaps incorrectly) a synonym for receiving a payout cash or plastic.

Also plastic is often used ans any non monetary payout (even though you may choose a chair, umbrella, clothing or bag.

I feel very confident in my view if that is all you can come back with. :)

The bagging gets worse the higher level you get, dont worry, i know you have been playing so long you know how things work but move out of rec and then come talk to me about bagging and about how you never cash.

That's a weak reply to my comments and aimed personal instead of factual. DO not disappoint me, you are representing Texas.

We may not need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows

I feel very confident in my views if that is all you can come back with. :)

isn't there 4 am divisions now?..if someone is 75o they should be in am4 not am3..we can argue about numbers all day...basically it boils down to the td knowing where to put people..keeps the sandbagging at a minimum

Yes, but it's still up to the TD which divisions to offer. And it's relatively rare, at least around here, for both Rec (am3) and Novice (am4) to be offered -- usually Rec is as low as it goes. So anyone below 900 ends up in one big pool. Players below 850 have almost zero chance to cash in the same division with 20 850-900 rated players. You have to be fairly committed to playing tournaments for the experience and learning opportunities to show up and pay your money 10-12 times a year knowing that's the most you can reasonably expect to get out of it.

But it's kind of a Catch-22 for TDs -- around here, there often aren't enough qualified players (i.e., rating below 850) to make up a legitimate Novice division. So the TD combines it with Rec. Those who show up and play Rec usually get toasted and may not come back again, so next time around, there once again aren't enough Novice-level players to make up a division.

The contempt and disdain often displayed by Pro and Advanced players toward newbies doesn't help at all, and it baffles me -- the more people across the board who're playing in tournaments and improving their skills and moving up in ratings and divisions, the more money there'll be at the top end for those guys to pocket on Sunday afternoon.

As far as the bagging goes no, it does get worse at least down here. And if that makes you feel better then I am glad.

The bagging gets worse the higher level you get, dont worry, i know you have been playing so long you know how things work but move out of rec and then come talk to me about bagging and about how you never cash.

It does not look like you have any trouble cashing (plastic-ing) and I suspect that I will be playing advanced before you unless your are forced by the PDGA because of your high rating. (one point to go)
Dude, I have played as many Advanced rounds as you and it did not take me 6 years to figure out that a 934 rating in Int. is bagging.

I get the impression that part of the problem with the ratings system is that it was changed this year. If I recall, and I've never been a PDGA member so I may not recall accurately, the Intermediate division in 2009 is the lower half of the Advanced division in 2008, and the Recreational division in 2009 is last year's Intermediate division. So what the PDGA did, if I understand correctly, is divide the Advanced division in two and create a new "Novice" division at the bottom. I think it's a step in the right direction, but the disc golfing culture still expects you to play according to the name of the division you played in last year, instead of according to the rating you're at this year. This puts pressure on a lot of people to "move up."

It's never going to be a perfect system, but the more we subvert it by asking and allowing people to play out of the division they're rated for, the more we'll have problems. In addition, as the PDGA tries to adjust the divisions going forward, they're going to have results based on "false" divisions full of people peer-pressured into "playing up" beyond their abilities. We probably do need more divisions for players rated under 900, so here's hoping the TDs around the country will learn from comments like what 12StonesScott just offered.

It does not look like you have any trouble cashing (plastic-ing) and I suspect that I will be playing advanced before you unless your are forced by the PDGA because of your high rating. (one point to go)
Dude, I have played as many Advanced rounds as you and it did not take me 6 years to figure out that a 934 rating in Int. is bagging.

I sure am glad that I put a smile on your face. Advanced rounds in minis and non sanctioned events dont count but good try. And here in 2 weeks I will be forced to play advanced, and I hope that we can play in it together someday!

I sure am glad that I put a smile on your face. Advanced rounds in minis and non sanctioned events dont count but good try. And here in 2 weeks I will be forced to play advanced, and I hope that we can play in it together someday!

You have played in two 2 round events as Advanced. I have played in one 4 round event. sounds like the same number or rounds to me.

You need to do a little more research. I played advanced for many tourneys in the past. So before you start bashing make sure that your facts are straight

He told me he may move up.

Not on my account, I hope. Like I said, it's perfectly legitimate for him to play Rec. Doesn't mean I'll refrain from tweaking him a little bit about it, but only in fun -- got no beef with him on that count or any other.

I get the impression that part of the problem with the ratings system is that it was changed this year. If I recall, and I've never been a PDGA member so I may not recall accurately, the Intermediate division in 2009 is the lower half of the Advanced division in 2008, and the Recreational division in 2009 is last year's Intermediate division. So what the PDGA did, if I understand correctly, is divide the Advanced division in two and create a new "Novice" division at the bottom.
The changes actually took place at the start of last year. The initial idea was to create a super-advanced am division called "expert" for those 965+ to play in and then maintain the three existing divisions with a slight bump down in the ratings guidelines.

Then came a big brewhaha on names for the divisions. People for whatever reason didn't like the name "expert" (or even the idea of an expert division) so the PDGA opted instead to keep the new four division structure, but just move the three existing names up and create a new "novice" division at the bottom. Many people as a result of the new ratings breaks were now eligible for the division below, but because of the names where still pressured to play in their old division.

They really need to get rid of the names and replace them with a numerical or color code hierachy as the names are entirely a misnomer, just as the terms "pro" and "amateur" are. Even most players in the Int/Rec divisions are in the grand scheme of things advanced level players.

what ever happened to am1, am2, am3, am4(no need for novice, rec, int, adv)...sounds pretty simple to me..roc is an advanced player and boasts to drive putt and approach and recover as a pro? i ASSumed you were a pro..dam i'm naive..the system is always going to screw some players but i take offense to something blang said...here in ny, we encourage newbs to play and root them on..i dont know where you play, but if advanced players and pros have "disdain and contempt" for newbs, the sport goes nowhere..sounds kinda sad..all it takes to make a division is 4 players? why cant 4 bottom feeders in rec have a novice division..a good td would offer this..

what ever happened to am1, am2, am3, am4(no need for novice, rec, int, adv)...sounds pretty simple to me..roc is an advanced player and boasts to drive putt and approach and recover as a pro? i ASSumed you were a pro..dam i'm naive..the system is always going to screw some players but i take offense to something blang said...here in ny, we encourage newbs to play and root them on..i dont know where you play, but if advanced players and pros have "disdain and contempt" for newbs, the sport goes nowhere..sounds kinda sad..all it takes to make a division is 4 players? why cant 4 bottom feeders in rec have a novice division..a good td would offer this..

I dont know where you get that I boast I play like a pro. I put in the stats that I drive like one but thats it. Read closer next time. And yes not helping newbs out does suck and anyone doing that is wrong.

don't get your panties in a wad...i want to know how things go in texas is all..i thought you rated yourself bascially all pro...my bad ...have a beer

I dont have my panites in a wad just answering a question.

I dont know where you get that I boast I play like a pro. I put in the stats that I drive like one but thats it. Read closer next time. And yes not helping newbs out does suck and anyone doing that is wrong.

if you are allowed to dominate the int. divison week after week, the td is to blame and he is discouraging newbs from playing tourneys...you and people like you are the main reason the system doesn't work..

My point exactly. But you know what I pay my 50 dollars a year to the PDGA and they let me play there so guess what I played there. My game has gotten 150% better in the last 4 months and thats why that was my last Int tourney. But still the problem remains that when the system is the way it is then there will always be that guy.

\but i take offense to something blang said...here in ny, we encourage newbs to play and root them on..i dont know where you play, but if advanced players and pros have "disdain and contempt" for newbs, the sport goes nowhere..sounds kinda sad..

What are you talking about?

Latest posts