• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

The Putt'r is a great catch disc, I would even go as far as to say it may be the best. It is basically a smaller ultrastar. I remember when I first got a Z Putt'r I thought it was the best disc ever created and remember playing entire rounds with just it and shooting better then my normal 4-7 disc bag. This was during my ultimate frisbee time though, so that probably played a part in it.

Btw, my very first putter was a Piranha which I still have today.

Any way to get a profile pic comparing the Putt'r and the Rattler? I was under the impression that they were pretty similar after I looked at pics of them on discoutfitters but Mark's post above has me second guessing that.

^^^nah, Putt'r is totally different. Pretty sure it's smaller diameter, like a Birdie. The Rattler is bigger, prob a little deeper too, more Frisbee-like.

Putt'r's are pretty cool though, I got into lids for a little bit after throwing a 164g soft. Nice disc.

2ms4u0y.jpg

kdqsqw.jpg

For Rattler lovers:

The newest run of Rattlers is superb!!

For the 2012 Memorial (next week) the player's package includes Rattlers made in UV (ultra-violet) plastic with Dan Ginnelly's signature and a custom hotstamp. Along with the UV's (which turn purplish blue when exposed to sunlight) they also ran some in a bright robin's egg blue color.

Both colors are medium firm, grippy and flat topped. I played catch with both colors and they fly great and feel great.

I also got to look at (and acquire) the Titanium discs being introduced at the Memorial but I am not allowed to comment on them yet.

Mark Ellis said:
For Rattler lovers:

The newest run of Rattlers is superb!!

For the 2012 Memorial (next week) the player's package includes Rattlers made in UV (ultra-violet) plastic with Dan Ginnelly's signature and a custom hotstamp. Along with the UV's (which turn purplish blue when exposed to sunlight) they also ran some in a bright robin's egg blue color.

Both colors are medium firm, grippy and flat topped. I played catch with both colors and they fly great and feel great.

I also got to look at (and acquire) the Titanium discs being introduced at the Memorial but I am not allowed to comment on them yet.

But you're allowed to annoy us with the fact that you have em but won't spill the beans, damn :)

I'm interested in this UV Rattler too. I picked up a pair of UV Chameleon Ultra Stars for my nephews just because of the stamp and was so amazed when I walked out of the store I walked back in and bought another for myself! I've been looking for a reason (other than all the ones contained on the previous pages of this thread) to add a lid to my bag!

I picked up a Rattler a couple months ago and I've been surprised how versatile and useful it is. Not sure why I ever got rid of lids from the bag. It simply does things, particularly long straight flying and straight landing floaty up shots, that other discs can't. Looks like I'm adding Rattlers to the Predator, Comet and Zone as must-have Discraft discs to my bag.

The one I have is a blue medium flex 168. Any ideas on what the different weight/flex combos are best at, or doesn't it matter much beyond personal preference?

Also interested in these UV Rattlers...

Frank Delicious said:
Where can we buy a UV rattler?

I don't know the size of the UV run or which distributors they might be sent to. If I can find out I will report back.

The highest likelihood is to get one from a player at the Memorial. The TD's disc retail business is called Spinners on the Green and they may have put in an order. Or just fill up your pockets with money and come visit me in Michigan.

How about we electronically fill your pockets with money, and you in turn fill boxes with Uv Rattlers (maybe some Z..) and ship them our way ? :)

Roc Lover said:
How about we electronically fill your pockets with money, and you in turn fill boxes with Uv Rattlers (maybe some Z..) and ship them our way ? :)

If you visit the negative feedback thread you will find numerous examples of why I don't like to do transactions over the net. Face to face is clean and easy and there are no complications or hassles. Find me at a tournament and I'm happy to help you out.

This is no slight to any particular member of this site just a general philosophy.

I was told the UV Rattlers were a small custom run and sent to Arizona for the Memorial. So for those interested, try Spinners on the Green.

I've just rekindled my piranha lust. Man I love these. Anything out there now fly close to them?