• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rattler, Putt'r, Polecat, Birdie..... a.k.a "the lid thread"

I'm up to 10 piranhas now. I really live these things. It's like a max weight gopher, just smaller diameter and an equally kick ass stamp.

Just received 2 162 Black Rattlers today and these things feel like no disc I have ever felt plastic-wise. The tackiness of these is second to none even in a little bit of rain these hold there grip perfectly. Can't wait to beat these puppies in this summer.

Grant said:
Just received 2 162 Black Rattlers today and these things feel like no disc I have ever felt plastic-wise. The tackiness of these is second to none even in a little bit of rain these hold there grip perfectly. Can't wait to beat these puppies in this summer.

So you got ones made from rubber. Yep they grip well. There are tackier discs than my light blue Rattler but is up there with the most tacky ones.

Welcome. Fondling them at the store. Plastic Rattlers are slick and hard. Rubber ones are slightly softer and way tackier.

I'm thinking really hard about dipping my toes into Rattler waters. I really want a lid ~160 that behaves like a lid in regular golf weights or close to it, so that when I gear down from an Ion I'm not torquing the crap out of it as bad. I'm toying with a 166 Polecat right now but I want something a wee bit floatier I think.

Any particular weight/color/run/plastic Rattler I should look for? Mainly using this for approaches and get out of trouble stuff where I have limited arm/foot room.

160's on the weight, and from my experience, light blues were softish and feel great. Darker blues are stiffer and feel great too.

If you can feel up the discs i strongly suggest getting a rubbery tacky one. Mine is light blue. Light APXs fly almost like a lid for a friendlier shape.

BrotherDave said:
I'm thinking really hard about dipping my toes into Rattler waters. I really want a lid ~160 that behaves like a lid in regular golf weights or close to it, so that when I gear down from an Ion I'm not torquing the crap out of it as bad. I'm toying with a 166 Polecat right now but I want something a wee bit floatier I think.

Any particular weight/color/run/plastic Rattler I should look for? Mainly using this for approaches and get out of trouble stuff where I have limited arm/foot room.

The most important thing for any putter is how it feels in your hand. In Rattlers I like medium stiffness, flat-topped, grippy and around 170 grams but then again, I am very picky. Of course, I am only very picky because I can be. The most recent run in bright, robin's egg blue are fabulous. Maybe the best run ever.

I really like the one I have. It sat in a friends pond for about a month and it feels awesome. Even at a heavier weight it kicks around like a regular catch disc. I imagine a lot of people who use them use them as a putter. I've been using it more for approach shots and long runs at the basket. The great thing about it is even on long shots if you miss it won't hurt you with a big return putt.

I'm not super duper picky on feel (slick vs grippy) as much as durability. I just don't want to end up with anything close to R-pro Boss type plastic, ya dig?

BrotherDave said:
I'm not super duper picky on feel (slick vs grippy) as much as durability. I just don't want to end up with anything close to R-pro Boss type plastic, ya dig?

I'm not sure I dig but I'm guessing you are not fond of R-Pro Bosses because they break in too fast or too much. In my opinion Rattlers get better as they break in.

Rattlers are the masters of the soft, floaty, hovering touch shot. No putter can do that job optimally if it is overstable. So when a Rattler is being seasoned I am not worried if it is breaking in too fast or too much. I play catch with beginners in parking lots.

Mark Ellis said:
BrotherDave said:
I'm not sure I dig but I'm guessing you are not fond of R-Pro Bosses because they break in too fast or too much. In my opinion Rattlers get better as they break in.

Rattlers are the masters of the soft, floaty, hovering touch shot. No putter can do that job optimally if it is overstable. So when a Rattler is being seasoned I am not worried if it is breaking in too fast or too much. I play catch with beginners in parking lots.
The driver R-Pro used in Bosses can take about 5 landings a on a grassy surface before it starts to be too rough and beat in to be of any use...

Had a weird thing happen with one of those all black rattlers a few weeks back. I was out in the yard throwing up shots with it and when I went to grip it my thumb pushed thru the flight plate. I really like the way these rattlers feel but am quite disappointed with the brittleness of this run. Oh well I got a back up of the same run and have started to season it. Has anyone else had an issue with this run?Mine are the in the high 160's.

Yes I bought four of them when they came out and have had two break in the past week. I think I am going to stay with the UV Rattlers from now on.

I can not complain about any part of my UV rattlers. I have not laid a hand on the rubbery black rattlers so I can't really compare but the UV's seem pretty grippy to me. Its been a third of a warm season since I got them and the UV rattler is no worse for wear. I would definitely recommend them.

I had one, it broke as well. Split in the center of the disc outward in three parts, up to but not through the rim.

Happened when a friend and I were playing catch, nothing serious.

I found an anomalous rubber Rattler. It is a Black 163 mistamped one that is the tackiest disc i've ever handled. It feels like touching glue and no matter what the next disc i hold is it too feels tacky because something sticks in the fingers from just holding the Rattler. I put that disc in the hands of some players at the local shop i bought it from and people laughed and commented about grip locks. Leave it to me to have slips with it... :twisted: :roll:

In all honesty i was getting creative with it grip wise. I had terrible sticking issues with middle to pinky fingers on other thinner but not the thinnest putters when driving and using too much grip pressure. Naturally you cannot throw the Rattler on drives with sticking issues so i only put the outermost section of the index finger inside the disc and as little as possible of the other fingers trying two finger grip as well. That meant i could not push down with the thumb using so little finger to rubber contact. So the grip was excessively weak. No wonder i had slips because i had about putt grip strength.

The disc turned driven into a headwind at 80-90 % power by about 8 degrees. In rear wind with non OAT'd throw of 80 % power it did not flip at all!!! That is not Rattler like for me so i assume i've had problems with clean releases from the other fingers under the disc than the index finger. At 90 % i got it to 240' on tall throws with more fade than Pro D hard plastic Rattlers or light blue semi rubbery Rattler. The HSS is way better despite less weight with this black Rattler vs the others. I assume that puring every part of form in calm conditions i can get it to 250' without any flipping with a flat release. Unreal compared to my other three Rattlers. The LSS is about 0.2-0.3 more than with Pro D Rattlers of plastic or semi rubbery kind.

I need to fiddle with the grip to see if i can get clean releases with a strong grip to prevent left slips while giving it good power. It is already good to 200' released flat in some winds as long as it ain't headwind. Even in headwinds giving compensatory hyzer it is possible to throw just fine to 200'+. Color me surprised.

Has anyone come across glue tacky rubber Rattlers before? Mine has Discraft Pro Golf Discs stamp in silver.

I got a Hero Air 235 105 gram disc and was wondering if it is PDGA approved. I might not use it in competition but you never know. That disc is super tough teacher about plane preservation.

Really cant stand lids, i bought a rattler as my first ever putter because it had good reviews but for me, it was just impossible to use, way too inconsistent. Changed to a magnet and haven't looked back.