• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

Any timeline on a restock of max weights?

I'll probably just go with lighter but wanted to check.

Oh man

I had my cart set a couple of hours ago and the eclipse discount code was working.

I waited around and now it doesn't work :(

Any other codes out there? I feel like an idiot that I missed the window.

Just got 2 Gilas but haven't had a chance to throw them yet. When I took them out of the box for the first time, I was shocked at the extent to which the disc felt like a squashed-down Harp. Super-flat, shallow and with a very similar profile. Should I expect his to fly as much like a speed 5 Harp as it fells like?

Just got 2 Gilas but haven't had a chance to throw them yet. When I took them out of the box for the first time, I was shocked at the extent to which the disc felt like a squashed-down Harp. Super-flat, shallow and with a very similar profile. Should I expect his to fly as much like a speed 5 Harp as it fells like?

I can tell a difference in the overstablity of the Gila vs. the Harp. I was looking for the same thing from this disc but it wasn't exactly what I found. Not a bad thing at all, I'd consider this more like what a Justice wished it could be or a midrange Firebird but for me, my amber flew a half tick or so more overstable than a Harp. I'd rate the LSS at 3.5. Def longer than a harp though, by quite a bit for me. It replaced more fairway driver shots than Harp shots for me.

I can tell a difference in the overstablity of the Gila vs. the Harp. I was looking for the same thing from this disc but it wasn't exactly what I found. Not a bad thing at all, I'd consider this more like what a Justice wished it could be or a midrange Firebird but for me, my amber flew a half tick or so more overstable than a Harp. I'd rate the LSS at 3.5. Def longer than a harp though, by quite a bit for me. It replaced more fairway driver shots than Harp shots for me.

I agree. The fade of a fresh Gila is much more violent than a Harp. The Harp has a strong but more rounded shaped fade. The Gila fades with aggression. It makes a logical step up from the Harp though because there is hardly any limit to the amount of power that a fresh amber Gila won't soak up. It does all of this without being stupid OS like a Justice which has a serious distance cap on it. When you're looking at a Harp line but don't think you can quite get it there, and you're not Ricky, the Gila fits the bill and fills the gap between your Harp and your Felon (or other OS fairway of choice). I will say that the Gila is so fast and has so much distance potential that it definitely will start to steal shots from the lower end of your typical Felon toolbag.

So what are people pairing with their gila? I'm looking to grab a pair of fossil(maybe an amber too) and I don't know what I plan to pair with it.

I like to keep similar feel, 2 disc pairings at different speed levels. Like envy/proxy, buzzz/buzzz os.

What mold do people use with their gila that feels like they belong together? Comet? Beat roc?

So what are people pairing with their gila? I'm looking to grab a pair of fossil(maybe an amber too) and I don't know what I plan to pair with it.

I like to keep similar feel, 2 disc pairings at different speed levels. Like envy/proxy, buzzz/buzzz os.

What mold do people use with their gila that feels like they belong together? Comet? Beat roc?

I've gotten my Fossil to season into a pretty smooth line shaper. I can gun it over and get it to ride an anny to the ground.

If you want a similar speed disc with a different flight off the shelf, check out the new squared rim Element. They're great Discs that offer a less stable flight without being flippy.

I'm going Amber Gila, 2x Fossil Gila, fresh Z Comet, beat Z Comet.

I throw Gilas on shots I want to throw hard, low, FH, or in the wind. Comets for finesse.

Glow Gator, Amber Gila, Fossil Gila, Z Buzzz, ESP Buzzz

I can't quit the glow Gator. I use it as a utility FH disc and the Amber Gila for longer FHs. BH everything else.

Amber Gila, fossil Gila, seasoned DX Roc, beat Roc3.

I need another fresh fossil as mines beat to straight and they go way longer than you'd think.

i just took out my more stable wasp to see if i could work with 2 gilas so atm im throwing: 1 amber gila,1 diamond gila, z wasp and beat barstamp buzzz. the amber is max weight and a bit more os than the diamond gila thats 172g.

So, I broke down and got one of these. Should be fun to throw a type of disc I typically do not bag.

Got a Stego too for giggles lol.

So, I broke down and got one of these. Should be fun to throw a type of disc I typically do not bag.

Got a Stego too for giggles lol.

Nice! I actually grabbed a couple of the pink Gilas this afternoon as well. Excited to see how they pair up with my Comets.

Who is growing these, and what do you use them for? I find my Amber likes to be thrown on low flat lines where you can have it go super straight and then fade into the target. I have been throwing it up to 320 and have had a hard time ranging it as far as my(just as heavy) Bards. Did the flat top of the amber give less glide? The wind seems to knock it down a bit, but not affect turn or fade much.

Who is growing these, and what do you use them for? I find my Amber likes to be thrown on low flat lines where you can have it go super straight and then fade into the target. I have been throwing it up to 320 and have had a hard time ranging it as far as my(just as heavy) Bards. Did the flat top of the amber give less glide? The wind seems to knock it down a bit, but not affect turn or fade much.

All Ambers have been flat with less glide compared with the Protos. For hard & flat, I use fresh Fossil and find it easier to range in that 300-320' zone. I have a beat-in Fossil that will flip up from hyzer and push very straight until its strong LSS, 320+ full power on low-ceiling lines.

The best thing about this mold in Amber is its ability to absorb power. I tend to use Amber for nose-up flex shots, short spike hyzers, FH rollers, pancakes, and short skip shots.

about 3 months with my change in mids and i think it will stay that way for a while at least. i had a hard time replacing my stable wasp with my back ups since they were mostly new and had more hss. i threw that 172 proto back in and it was the best match i found,a little longer but that is a good thing. my 180 amber is still beefy and shows little signs of wear for these months ive had it. i really want to try a fossil gila but these courses out here are too rocky and a huge reason why i stopped throwing dx mids almost a decade ago.

i do need some glow amber gilas in my life though :)

ive been trusting my proto gila more and really pushing its limits, it has gotten tons of use and is my go to when i need a reliable straight shot. i still use my beat wasp a lot but the gila proto is just getting better with more use and i love it.

a glow amber though,i bet it would be amazing and perfect for those glow rounds

So I'm looking at switching the bulk of my mids over to gila. My question is for those who have experience with both fossil and amber. I'm looking at picking up a pair of fossil to beat one in and have a fresh to be the more stable compliment. Does anyone get a big benefit from keeping an amber paired with this type of set up for even more overstability or should a fresh fossil work just fine? I hope to play once a week once the weather turns so fossil might not beat in as fast as others.

So I'm looking at switching the bulk of my mids over to gila. My question is for those who have experience with both fossil and amber. I'm looking at picking up a pair of fossil to beat one in and have a fresh to be the more stable compliment. Does anyone get a big benefit from keeping an amber paired with this type of set up for even more overstability or should a fresh fossil work just fine? I hope to play once a week once the weather turns so fossil might not beat in as fast as others.

I keep an Amber with me at all times for my bookend. They seem to have more bite overall so I use mine for forehand shots, heavy winds and imminent tree shots

You could get by with just Fossil as I don't often throw my Amber... But when I need it, they don't let me down.

Latest posts