• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

Holy sunken flightplate on the Fossils, Batman. It drops at the rim and then flattens out. No wonder people like these for flicks. The way it feels in hand, it might as well be a different disc from the Amber.

Looking forward to throwing both blends soon.

I can't speak for the 178 Ouroboros ones, but I have both of the Gila stamped 178s and sub 175s and the max weight ones are just barely softer than the lighter weight white ones. There is a slight bit more give to the flight plates in the heavies but not much. They are not "soft" by any means and are still quite stiff.

How firm are the Ouroboros stamped 178 fossils compared to the sub 175 Gila stamps?
I do like the frim plastic for mids.
Please so I may decide and order tomorrow.

I don't have a 178g Ouroboros, but spent a few minutes flexing the ones that I have.

My fossil Gilas have written weights from 173 - 180g. The 173 - 175g are all Gila stamped. The 178 - 180g have RDG, Gila, and Ouroboros stamps.

When I look at all of them together, I can see that they are not all exactly the same color. Some have a slightly lighter shade than others. After flexing them, I would say that all the discs are stiff, but some are stiffer than others. It seems to me that the darker colored ones are the stiffest.

I have two discs that are lighter weight (173, 174g) and lighter shade. These flex a bit more than any of my darker shaded 174, 175g discs. All the heavier discs (178 - 180g) are very light in color, and flex the most.

My unscientific analysis would be that if you want the stiffest discs, then you should seek the darkest shades that they have got regardless of weight. For my discs, that would be the 174 and 175g, where I think that the 175g discs might just win out as the stiffest.

^ correct ^

Dave made two batches of Fossil Gila.

The darker blend sat around 170-175g and is firmer than the bright white batch.

Like previously stated, both firm... But the tans are more firm

I got a couple 178s and a 179, and to say these are anything short of ridiculously firm is crazy to me. Board flat across the top, super chalky and just absurdly stiff. I'm curious what the darker shades feel like, because I question the heavy ones I got passing a flex test.

I'll be taking my fossil tester to Milo today. Looking forward to trying it out.
Lower profile, shallower, and flatter than I was expecting and more so, all three, than a Sanny Sentinel.

Got my 180 gila stamped fossil and my 180 ouroboros stamped Amber in the mail today. Fossil has slight give in the plate and is real chalky, board flat, amazing plastic can't wait to throw it. My ouroboros Amber has a bubble in the rim, and is just a hair less flat than the fossil. The Amber plastic feels nice and grippy for translucent plastic. I'm really excited to throw these and see if I can get a cycle going with the fossil!

I'll be taking my fossil tester to Milo today. Looking forward to trying it out.
Lower profile, shallower, and flatter than I was expecting and more so, all three, than a Sanny Sentinel.

Waiting for this review. I know it'll be unabashed and lubricated by a couple brews, probably rainier or Pbr. Mmmaybe even a lowenbrau or three.

I know this'll be a straight shooting review. Even if the disc has hyzer.

I'm certainly not trying to be a gatekeeper Tim. But tempered reviews are often more helpful, and I'd hate to see Gyro-style fanboism stand in the way of something that should be allowed to stand on its own.

My initial take, using it for all kinds of shots over 45 holes today -- some of my signature OATy FHs, some FH rollers, numerous hyzers and a few flexes of various degree: it's flat and shallow and feels fast from the minute you hold it. It has, so far, about the same distance as the domier KC Rocs I like to throw, and similar stiff feel. The Gila definitely shows more speed, less glide, and probably more overall overstability, at both high and low speed. Skips more too. Again, freshy.

It's a driver-style mid, rather than a touch mid. I can see the appeal, especially for folks who like a little more speed and distance and prefer to throw lower midrange lines. I could see the potential for seasoned Fossil Gilas to get llllllong. That's certainly something to get excited about if you like fast mids in old school plastic. And a freshy seems to make a fine utility OS disc.

It's not a Sentinel -- the Fossil at least -- as it lacks the glide that is the Sentinel's little secret. It's more a modern take on that, in line with the flatter faster farther trend. Seemingly an ideal choice for those who throw faster modern driving putters on many traditional mid lines.

Cool stuff. For sure.

Nice review ODRB.

The Gila is similar to the Tyrant in that I tried to take old school mold characteristics and modernize them a little bit. You are definitely correct that off the shelf, the Gila has less glide than the Sentinel.

I can confirm that a beat Fossil Gila can absolutely crush. My 171g beat up Fossil can be smashed out hard, it will track right and then bite back at the end to finish the flight.

Looks like Fossil and Amber Gilas are re-stocked at Reptilian Disc Golf.

The Amber Gilas come in two colors: pink, merlot 175-178 g

Nice to see The typical DGCR gatekeepers graced this thread with their presence to decide who can be excited about this mold

And the best part is....when they accept the mold....and write a 'tempered' positive review....then the 'fanboi-ism' may proceed!

I've been beating the tar out of my 167 fossil. I was throwing it around on some rocky ground in eastern Washington over the weekend and dinging it up pretty good. It's still remaining stubbornly overstable. I like it. These things are definitely a few hits and done kind of thing. They can take a legit beating and still hold up. Looking forward to really seeing what time will do.

Giving mine its first toss today! I threw Booters a while back and really enjoyed it. Feels great to me since I always carried a Sentinel over Gators and such.