• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

And the best part is....when they accept the mold....and write a 'tempered' positive review....then the 'fanboi-ism' may proceed!

Fanboism is always going to proceed. But it doesn't really give people a fair impression. And it probably doesn't do Jamie any favors.

I think people legitimately shy away from discs that are overhyped. But what do I know. Except that this thing is a very decent fast OS mid that borders on short fairway speed.

Saying it's being over hyped is interesting. There's a handful of people on here that have been waiting for this one for a few years and now that it's here, we're loving the **** out of it. That's not over hype, it's just pure soul and love for the game and excitement for nasty discs. I've been around long enough to know a nasty disc when I see it and this is certainly one of them.

I agree that the speed borders on fairway territory and the speed rating of 5 is very conservative. All things being equal, it seems WAY faster than a Roc3 or a Truth. I'm not a power player by any means but I can see that the Gila is not a disc that can be easily over powered.

Saying it's being over hyped is interesting. There's a handful of people on here that have been waiting for this one for a few years and now that it's here, we're loving the **** out of it. That's not over hype, it's just pure soul and love for the game and excitement for nasty discs. I've been around long enough to know a nasty disc when I see it and this is certainly one of them.

I agree that the speed borders on fairway territory and the speed rating of 5 is very conservative. All things being equal, it seems WAY faster than a Roc3 or a Truth. I'm not a power player by any means but I can see that the Gila is not a disc that can be easily over powered.

I like the gila and own a lot of rdg discs (Stego, tyrant, scales, bunch of lizard wizads) but a lot of these releases get over hyped.

I'm not sure it's a bad thing g for RDG but sometimes you have to filter the reviews.

Fanboism is always going to proceed. But it doesn't really give people a fair impression. And it probably doesn't do Jamie any favors.

ROFL, RDG is a brand built on 'fanboi-ism'.

And, by using the word, you proliferate the cycle of misinformation and further ruin fair impressions. You made the Gila a 'fanboi' mold by calling the people reviewing it 'fanboi-ish', even when your 'review' echos the same sentiments said in 'fanboi' reviews.

So, it appears you are the one doing Jamie many favors! :thmbup:

It has surprised me with how well it handles forehand. I've never really continually bagged overstable mids outside of Sentinels. It's like a little mini seasoned Firebird on forehand.

Handles backhand really well too. I can force it over and it locks in the turn angle well before fighting it back forward. I had been messing with a Roc3x but the Gila has more uses because it handles power and touch better. One of those discs you want to throw when it's in your bag just to see what it can do. That's how you know it's a good one.

Put me down as a fanboi from another manufacturer:)

It has surprised me with how well it handles forehand. I've never really continually bagged overstable mids outside of Sentinels. It's like a little mini seasoned Firebird on forehand.

Handles backhand really well too. I can force it over and it locks in the turn angle well before fighting it back forward. I had been messing with a Roc3x but the Gila has more uses because it handles power and touch better. One of those discs you want to throw when it's in your bag just to see what it can do. That's how you know it's a good one.

Put me down as a fanboi from another manufacturer:)

Killer. Love to hear it!

The Gila is just a good weapon to have in the bag. Versatile and reliable across a broad range of shots.

I'm on vacation now but can't wait to get back home to throw the Alpha. Then I can't wait to buy an Alpha shirt bc those are sick!

ROFL, RDG is a brand built on 'fanboi-ism'.

And, by using the word, you proliferate the cycle of misinformation and further ruin fair impressions. You made the Gila a 'fanboi' mold by calling the people reviewing it 'fanboi-ish', even when your 'review' echos the same sentiments said in 'fanboi' reviews.

So, it appears you are the one doing Jamie many favors! :thmbup:

So, you're not really a "reader", huh?

So received my 178 pink amber gila. Wow was first thing that came to mind when I picked it out of mailer. Its so comfortable and just sinks in hand.. so took it to local park that has lots ofddifferent lanes and routes to throw. Grabbed 2 kc ROCS star rancho and VIP Bard. First round of throws I was like crap threw everything smooth except the Gila and it went straight left[rhbh]. Threw them again and was like yes this is the disc I've been looking for.. it truly can handle so many shots the way it flies an anny flex is wonderful and handles my sloppy forehand.. can't wait to throw it more and get more funds so I can start getting a cycle of these in fossil.. RDG you've done it you've made an awesome mid like you said from day one. Gotta get more RDG in bag

Thinking about going all in on the gila as my mid. Really like it.

What's the future supply going to be like? Will the fossil and Amber stay (semi) constant in production or will it be when gateway can fit it in?

Thinking about going all in on the gila as my mid. Really like it.

What's the future supply going to be like? Will the fossil and Amber stay (semi) constant in production or will it be when gateway can fit it in?

We have a good amount of Fossil left at Gateway to stamp. Probably 200 ish.

We have nearly exhausted all the max weight Amber but have a good amount of 175ish that fly plenty similar to max weight.

I'd say they're going to be our safest mold for consistency just because I'm not asking Dave to run me 15 different flexes. I'm totally fine with having Amber and Fossil being our only plastic variants.

The Gila is the project that I am most proud of. The disc flies identical to what I had hoped.

On a side note, I threw my cousins absolutely trashed Gila (4/10) and it was ridiculous. Buttery flight with tons of glide. Still enough stability to cruise straight and have a little finish, but definitely capable of soaring annys. I nearly stole it from him.

played a round in some crazy winds this weekend thanks to hurricane harvey and the gila's were not affected one bit! they flew reliably ,straight and still faded out just as they do in calm winds. THIS is a mid i can always rely on and im happy to have that in my bag.

My 167 fossil is becoming royally thrashed. I haven't even started throwing the others yet except the amber I'm pairing it with. The light weight thrashed fossil is developing a very healthy amount of turn while still maintining a strong fade at the end of flight. It's turning into a full fledged line shaper. It's pretty beat though. The plastic is chunking quite a bit more than any KC pro I've ever had. I'm going to have to start working on the heavier fossils soon.

My 167 fossil is becoming royally thrashed. I haven't even started throwing the others yet except the amber I'm pairing it with. The light weight thrashed fossil is developing a very healthy amount of turn while still maintining a strong fade at the end of flight. It's turning into a full fledged line shaper. It's pretty beat though. The plastic is chunking quite a bit more than any KC pro I've ever had. I'm going to have to start working on the heavier fossils soon.

Weird, my 180 fossil is starting to get beat-in and I'm finding that instead of chunking, the wing just gets pushed down/warped from the tree hits. I'm not sure if it's because of how prominent the wing is on the disc or just the plastic.

Weird, my 180 fossil is starting to get beat-in and I'm finding that instead of chunking, the wing just gets pushed down/warped from the tree hits. I'm not sure if it's because of how prominent the wing is on the disc or just the plastic.

Yeah mine is pushing down too.

It's a product of the mold. Not a whole lot of space to fill for disc actually. Dave told me he wanted to retool to get the flight plate thicker but the durability is mostly cosmetic as my seasoned Fossils are flying ridiculously smooth.

I prefer to have that thin plate & heavy rim for maximum spin (just like on the Scale & Serpent which are quite thin in the plate).

Latest posts