• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] RDG Gila: Overstable Mid

Just got one of these for a steal on Facebook. This is a mold I have been curious for a long while. I am hoping for a harder biting compliment to my kaxe. Is there going to be room in my bag for a Gila?

To answer your (my) question. It will kick the kaxe out, and make room for teebirds back in your bag and you will be happier than ever.

I am still bagging the flat straighter Armor run for my go to shot shaper and longer mid.
Pairing it with 2 fossils; one fresh and very OS and one beat in enough to span the stability gap between gilas and comets.

My glow (LED) bag as a Amber Gila and a Buzzz in it for all midrange duties.

There's no looking back I have liquidated all of my Kaxe but 1.

For a long time, I've been looking for a disc to slot between a fresh KC roc and a gator/zone type disc. I've bagged a Buzzz OS for a while fairly successfully, but it never felt quite right in my hand. Shallower than a roc, and no bead.

Fast forward to today, I received the new Armor Gila I won on a FB auction and threw it about 10 times.

I'm very impressed out of the gate. It's not crazy beef - very workable, but I have no fear of it flipping or not fading based on some firm flat throws. It did fly similarly to my Z buzzz OS, but feels WAY better in my hand, and I was getting more consistent and crisp releases. The main difference though is the GLIDE. This thing has crazy glide for its speed and stability. You know how when you hit a roc nice and firm, it kind of hits an extra gear? This gila has it, but it has the solid HSS and fade to really trust it. It landed consistently 10-15 feet past the buzzz OS, and this thing just feels made for my hand.

TL;DR, buzzz OS is out of the bag, gila is in, for now. If you're looking for an OS bookend to complement your roc cycle, then this is probably it.

Throw a fossil in there as well. It probably is more OS than your Armor out of the box, but they will eventually replace your KC Rocs.

Also Fossil is stiff and grippy much like a good KC roc

Throw a fossil in there as well. It probably is more OS than your Armor out of the box, but they will eventually replace your KC Rocs.

Also Fossil is stiff and grippy much like a good KC roc

Man, that's a bold statement - I love my KC rocs....Do the fossils beat in to hyzerflip to turnover?

Also, not to sound greedy, but are all of these board flat or puddled? By no means a deal breaker, but I wouldn't mind trying one with a slight dome.

Man, that's a bold statement - I love my KC rocs....Do the fossils beat in to hyzerflip to turnover?

Also, not to sound greedy, but are all of these board flat or puddled? By no means a deal breaker, but I wouldn't mind trying one with a slight dome.
Yes they are all flat. The Amber ones have the very slightest dome, but they are all flatter than most rocs. The fossil plastic is consistently stiff and chalky/grippy

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

I mean the first time I held a Gila I thought "So this is what happens when you run over a Warrior with a road paver." They are flat. I think that was the point.

If you want to try a similar disc with a little more dome, the Warrior is probably it.

So, I took all of my various plastic gilas out today, and man, I love these things. I have started to beat the bejesus out of a fossil, and it still has solid HSS, it is just losing it's fade.

I am also seeing how I can beat in an armor. It is by far my favorite plastic and I dig that it feels slightly less OS, and to me a hair faster than the fossil out of the gate. I'm thinking years down the road maybe I can cycle some armors.

So now I am sitting with finger over the buy button on the RDG store. Somebody buy a bunch of discs before I can spend money!

I've been making some smooth shots with my Gila lately. Looking to get a few backups for my all blue bag. Anyone have extra Blue Gilas they would sell or trade?

I've been making some smooth shots with my Gila lately. Looking to get a few backups for my all blue bag. Anyone have extra Blue Gilas they would sell or trade?

I have on I would possibly part with, shoot me a PM.

No blues, but I have two collecting dust. Pm if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bump...

I have a several Premium Gilas by RDG and Premium Prophecies by Gateway...

all unstamped,

Is there an easy way to tell them apart?

At a quick glance I don't see a difference...

What am I missing?

Bump...

I have a several Premium Gilas by RDG and Premium Prophecies by Gateway...

all unstamped,

Is there an easy way to tell them apart?

At a quick glance I don't see a difference...

What am I missing?

The shape of a Prophecy is very similar to a Roc3. A Gila is shaped a bit differently. It is based on a Roc also. But the top edge on the wing of a Gila, out towards the edge, has a slight groove or indent that other Roc clones don't have.
Think about the groove on the upper flight plates on a RDG Scale. The upper flight plate groove on a Gila is something like this, though smaller. Premium Gilas tend to have less of a groove than you will find on Fossil Gilas, but you should be able to detect it.

Gila has been in and out of my bag a long while. I cycle a few fossils and throw a beat in armor as well. They go in and out cause I also love the demon, and often don't need something between the demon and buzzz, especially if I am jiving with my straight demon at the time.

Anyone throw these?

Wonder if I still have my proto...

Quake?

Meh.

Just throw a Gila. It was the OG before ya'll knew you needed the Quake.

I drill down birdies with mine EVERY SINGLE ROUND.

Gateway actually has been using the Gila mold to work out the kinks on a new injection molding machine so there should be some new softer baseline Gilas available in the future.

I want a fresh run of Amber as well because those have been gone for a bit.

This mold is still IMO, the best mold we've ever made. It's so reliable yet not a meat hook. I can throw mine easily 320+ on a frozen rope that fades out with a glidey yet strong fade.

Gila has been in and out of my bag a long while. I cycle a few fossils and throw a beat in armor as well. They go in and out cause I also love the demon, and often don't need something between the demon and buzzz, especially if I am jiving with my straight demon at the time.

The Demon for me was never as OS as I wanted. But it was faster than what I wanted. Sometimes it would turn and not hook up, other times the LSS and speed would combine for a wicked skip that I didn't want.

I do however like the Blaze as it always seemed to be a faster Demon or slower Eagle type mold.

My mids currently are Gila - Prophecy and I'm getting along pretty well with just those two. The Prophecy isn't Roc3 stability for me so I can hyzer flip it up through a gap and it'll come back. On a flat shot it'll turn a smidge and fade back a smidge. Basically like a more OS Buzzz but not by a whole lot.

The Element sometimes sneaks in but that mold is like the Warship... Capable of ridiculous shots... But more often I yank it over and it glides 300 ft in the wrong direction

I have sought out beefy demons, I never had to seek out certain gila to get a certain flight. The demon being small diameter and beadless flys like a very long approach disc primarily FH. I picked them back up when the berg went in cause I wanted a faster approach disc. The gila fits traditional stable/over stable mid slot better. Currently they both are there.

I have sought out beefy demons, I never had to seek out certain gila to get a certain flight. The demon being small diameter and beadless flys like a very long approach disc primarily FH. I picked them back up when the berg went in cause I wanted a faster approach disc. The gila fits traditional stable/over stable mid slot better. Currently they both are there.

Nice! Glad that the Gila still fits your bag.

I love the mold so much and I have been very pleased with the life cycle of them even in baseline.

My beat fossils hold straight low power and smooth Annys as well. It wild when they still show some gila bite after holding lines so effortlessly.