• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recommend a 20 disc bag

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I'm using a Fade Crunch right now that's maxed out ~16-17 discs but I'd like something just a bit bigger for road-trips because my Phenix Core is a heavy ass mofo.

So I'm curious what bag that stuffed to the max will hold ~20 disc would be best for me. I don't usually use a lot of storage space so assume I'll stuff discs in there. I don't really want a proper big tourney bag b/c I don't want to pay for storage I won't use 90% of the time.

My main criteria I'd like to meet are: Lightweight, durability, comfy with quad straps. Bonus points for rainfly that covers everything, putter pocket on the side, 2 bottle holders and nifty pockets/features.

I don't necessarily need a backpack style bag b/c I rarely wear my bag for that long but I'll hear them out. The Voodoo Mojo looks intriguing.

Cheers

Innova's Competition. Not a bunch of needless storage space. 2 big bottle holders on either side. 2 zipper pockets of equal size on either side as well. Mine is super comfy with my DGA Gel straps. Doesn't feel bad with a few pounders in there either. ;)

The Mojo would strike a nice balance between my daughter's Juju fitting 9 or 10 and my Karma fitting anywhere from 20-45 depending how I'm stuffing the side pockets and every available space. 19-20 fit in the main section, more if you are using less mids probably.

Juju: putter+Condor in putter pocket, 7-8 mids and fairways in main section
Karma: 3 putters+Condor in putter pocket, 19-20 mids/fairways in main section using 1 of the 2 dividers. Side pockets will take 8 putters each and still zip shut. 9 and no zipping. Fit an extra 4 discs between the solid form inside the bag and the inner lining of the bag.

I like my bag in the 18-20 disc range. The GB Silverback is a fantastic bag and I can't say enough good things about them. Although I have never owned one, the Voodoo Mojo is probably a good option. I also liked my DGA Elite, it was somewhere around $50 and was very light weight. I now carry a Grip and constantly debate with myself about going back to the Silverback. The Grip is a great bag too.

The Mojo would be good if you don't need the extra storage - the side pockets are plenty big for a few discs each. Otherwise, get the Karma if you want the storage.

If you're not needing storage, I'd recommend a Grip for a backpack. The rainfly is handy. I used to have one, but I need the extra storage. Great bag otherwise.

Mojo should fit the bill. I used to have 15 in the main (with the divider) and 2 in the putter pocket (the older style that was only meant for 1 putter), and you can easily fit 3 or 4 in each side pocket. I think I only had 4 mids in the main, so if you carry more, you may only be able to fit 14 in the main, but may be able to retain the 15 disc capacity if you don't use the divider. With that set up, you could fill 1 side pocket with the other 3 or 4 discs, and still have the other side pocket for wallet, keys, towel, etc.

I'll second the innova competition bag as well, BroD. You can get them for around 60 bucks, plus they take any form of quad straps and aren't half bad. I have two that I own, and use for winter rounds (to keep my Grip bags from getting trashed) They have two side pockets, and two 32oz bottle holders as well. For the price, you really can't go wrong. :thbmup:

I know this probably won't be a popular answer but I like my Catalyst. Holds 16 comfortably in the main compartment and room for two putters up top. There's also room for a few more on the sides. It's way more comfy than any quad style backback I've used.

Catalyst looks alright, I've never given the backpack style bags much thought. How much does the Catalyst weight empty? I'm a little skeptical of the extra space on top that you can't use and some of the complaints I've heard about people having difficulty getting discs from the side and having to modify the GGI slot or whatever it's called.

If you pull the trigger before new years, you can get a grip bag for just twenty more dollars. I have 21 discs in one of mine, and 20 in the other.

If you pull the trigger before new years, you can get a grip bag for just twenty more dollars. I have 21 discs in one of mine, and 20 in the other.

That's a nice deal but all they have is black. I don't like predominately black bags b/c dark colors attract mosquitoes. One thing that does enhance my DG experience is having a cloud of mosquitoes around my back when I'm walking between holes during the summertime.

Hahaha, I didn't know they only had all black left. Well either way good luck on the search.

Didn't you say storage wasn't a huge deal? This bag is pretty light, after a little fidgeting with the GGI slot it will work, worst case scenario you take out the sleeve and have a pouch that can still hold two putters or three drivers. With 15 discs in the main compartment they slide out just fine, and you can put 2-3 discs behind your main discs in the main compartment for a total of 17. Once I put 16-17 side by side or gets a bit tight.

Didn't you say storage wasn't a huge deal? This bag is pretty light, after a little fidgeting with the GGI slot it will work, worst case scenario you take out the sleeve and have a pouch that can still hold two putters or three drivers. With 15 discs in the main compartment they slide out just fine, and you can put 2-3 discs behind your main discs in the main compartment for a total of 17. Once I put 16-17 side by side or gets a bit tight.

Doesn't sound like it's quite big enough unless I can cram discs in side pockets (which is totally cool by me). It would irk me having empty material on a bag I couldn't use, I'd probably end up modifying that part of the bag and voiding my warranty, lol.