• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Recovering discs from trees?

What do you use to knock discs out of trees?

• Baseball

Votes: 32 18.6%
  • Golf ball

Votes: 9 5.2%
  • Tennis ball

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Rock/Stick (whatever you can find)

Votes: 80 46.5%
  • Tape Measure

Votes: 5 2.9%
  • Other

Votes: 44 25.6%

• Total voters
We watched a guy throw a big hunting knife at his disc in a tree. It opened up halfway through its flight and stabbed into a branch and stuck, higher up than the disc was stuck. After that we left, because standing by a tree to help a stranger get a disc is not fun when a knife could fall on you. And another time we spotted a disc in a tree during an early morning round, knocked it down, and were surprised to see 2 discs fall to the ground. One was resting exactly on top of the other so you only saw one from the ground.

I usually use a rock or stick or whatever happens to be around. The only thing with this method, especially in park courses, is to please pick up everything you tossed at your disc and set it at the base of the tree. This way the fairways remain neat and clear, mowers don't get damaged, and others can use the same rocks and sticks to get their discs down if need be.

I have a softball in one pocket and a lacrosse ball in the other pocket of my bag for getting discs out of trees. I can usually have the disc down quicker than someone can get to the tree to climb it.

Climbing.

It's much faster,but dangerous too.

My buddy uses a slingshot from which he shoots marbles into the trees. He usually gets it down on the first try.

I usually use a rock or stick or whatever happens to be around. The only thing with this method, especially in park courses, is to please pick up everything you tossed at your disc and set it at the base of the tree. This way the fairways remain neat and clear, mowers don't get damaged, and others can use the same rocks and sticks to get their discs down if need be.

LOL.

That was a good story. I use sticks, or a putter. A buddy of mine is a good climber, so he's good to have around too.

there is a big tennis complex that quite a few holes and fairways go around. and apparently rich people don't have to walk all the way around the fence if a ball goes out. long story short i use tennis balls

I use a sling shot. It works great! Just use what on the ground around you....well within reason :)

I guess it really depends on the tree. In Canmore, we're looking at 80-100ft+ trees in a valley between the elevated tee and basket in several cases. It's actually hard to throw or climb those if you get it stuck high enough. I've encountered discs there, spent a few minutes chucking rocks at them and moving along as I'm sure the owners had done hours or days before. Best thing for getting discs back is this case is Karma and ink. (Tape measure, lol!)

Tape measure ever since I saw the idea on here. Get a good one that wont bend and you have a 20 foot pole.

Lacrosse ball. Got an old CE Firebird out of a tree at Idlewild yesterday on try #1. Returning it to its owner.