• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Refusing to Be Filmed

If it's a sanctioned tournament and the person is working with the tournament peeps, then he really can't stop them. If it was a random person, as long as they're not disrupting in some manner, I don't think there's a lot to stop it there either.

But then, I don't know that I'd want to try to argue that with JohnE.

If it's a sanctioned tournament and the person is working with the tournament peeps, then he really can't stop them. If it was a random person, as long as they're not disrupting in some manner, I don't think there's a lot to stop it there either.

But then, I don't know that I'd want to try to argue that with JohnE.

The bolded is true, but if JohnE were polite about requesting that his round not be included in an unauthorized (by the PDGA/TD) published video, and the videographer complied out of respect for that request, there's really nothing to see here.

If the videographer was there at the request of or with the expressed permission of the TD and therefore the PDGA, then JohnE shouldn't even be asking to be excluded. He doesn't have the right to do that and the PDGA could discipline him for it.

Without knowing which is the case, though, there's no point in demonizing or defending McCray about it.

The bolded is true, but if JohnE were polite about requesting that his round not be included in an unauthorized (by the PDGA/TD) published video, and the videographer complied out of respect for that request, there's really nothing to see here.

If the videographer was there at the request of or with the expressed permission of the TD and therefore the PDGA, then JohnE shouldn't even be asking to be excluded. He doesn't have the right to do that and the PDGA could discipline him for it.

Without knowing which is the case, though, there's no point in demonizing or defending McCray about it.

I've had pro players ask me why am I taking photos/film of them and what I plan to do with it. I tell them point blank, but in a calm/friendly demeanor... I am freelance and I will do whatever I want with the media. If the player asks the videographer to not include him, that conversation and outcome is between them, but this shouldn't be the accepted normal outcome moving forward just because a player wants to control his personal media exposure for whatever reason.

JohnE asked and the guy edited him out. It appears the guy filming was being a nice guy and doing JohnE a favor. No big deal.

Wow I forgot all about the Vintage. I play/practice on that course 3-4 times a week, life happened and I would up playing with my other league this weekend.....*kicks self*.

Wow I forgot all about the Vintage. I play/practice on that course 3-4 times a week, life happened and I would up playing with my other league this weekend.....*kicks self*.

Wonder if he is playing the Bulldog Open this weekend at the course I was playing while missing the Vintage

Was supposed to be an edit but timed out

I've had pro players ask me why am I taking photos/film of them and what I plan to do with it. I tell them point blank, but in a calm/friendly demeanor... I am freelance and I will do whatever I want with the media. If the player asks the videographer to not include him, that conversation and outcome is between them, but this shouldn't be the accepted normal outcome moving forward just because a player wants to control his personal media exposure for whatever reason.

It already is the "accepted normal outcome."

Most states (including Arkansas, where the tournament under discussion occurred), have established either a statutory or a common law "right of publicity," aka"personality right," i.e., the right to control commercial use of one's image, likeness, or other unequivocal aspects of one's identity, which affirmatively restrict what a photographer/videographer/third party can do with a person's name, image, or likeness without the person's explicit permission.

Until recently, it hasn't been worth asserting those rights because the commercial value of those rights has been minimal, but the increasing "professionalization" of "the sport" (players as "brands") and the potential monetization of video footage (producers "getting paid") is changing the calculus, so the issue is likely to become more prominent, and more common, going forward.

It already is the "accepted normal outcome."

Most states (including Arkansas, where the tournament under discussion occurred), have established either a statutory or a common law "right of publicity," aka"personality right," i.e., the right to control commercial use of one's image, likeness, or other unequivocal aspects of one's identity, which affirmatively restrict what a photographer/videographer/third party can do with a person's name, image, or likeness without the person's explicit permission.

Until recently, it hasn't been worth asserting those rights because the commercial value of those rights has been minimal, but the increasing "professionalization" of "the sport" (players as "brands") and the potential monetization of video footage (producers "getting paid") is changing the calculus, so the issue is likely to become more prominent, and more common, going forward.

And this is why the key question is whether the videographer was there with permission from or at the request of the TD. If he was, then McCray and every other player there gave their permission to the videographer to use their likeness simply by signing up for the tournament. That's in the PDGA rules.

If it was a freelance situation without approval/permission of the TD, then the videographer is obligated to seek permission from the players in the group and any of them would be within their rights to say no. The videographer certainly couldn't tell them it's none of their business what he does with whatever video he shoots and ignore their wishes.

And this is why the key question is whether the videographer was there with permission from or at the request of the TD. If he was, then McCray and every other player there gave their permission to the videographer to use their likeness simply by signing up for the tournament. That's in the PDGA rules.

Does it say in the rules that a player can't ASK to not be filmed? Just because a videographer has the right to film them doesn't mean they have to film them and can't respect a players wishes, right?