• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Replacement for XG Rhyno

wolfey

Par Member
I purchased an XG Rhyno (2012 Three Man Throw Down stamp) about a year and a half ago on a bit of a whim and the damn thing quickly became the most used disc in my bag. I absolutely love it off of the tee and on approaches.

The problem is that it seems like they are virtually impossible to find, and if they do become available they are going to be $$$. I lie awake at night terrified at the thought of losing this disc without having a back up plan.
So here is what I love about this disc and hope to find in a readily available replacement:

1) Consistency in flight. Straight with moderate fade every time. Powered up or down, wind or no wind, I always know what it's going to do. But at the same time it remains workable and not a utility/meathook kind of disc.

2) Ability to absorb impact. No giant skips or bounces off trees. I play a lot of tight, wooded courses and knowing that I won't end up 100' into the next fairway gives me the confidence to really rip on it off the tee and go for tight, aggressive lines.

3) Durability. This XG plastic is indestructible. It's really kind of crazy how many impacts into rocks and trees it has absorbed without any significant damage or loss of stability.

The first point is probably the easiest to replicate. I know there are a few out there, like the Breaker, Sinus, Rhyno in other plastics and on and on. I know that I could achieve the second point with an R-Pro Rhyno or another floppy plastic/rubber. But I have not come across another combo of all three points.
In a perfect world I would walk into my local disc superstore that stocked every mold by every manufacturer and feel 'em all up until I found what I was looking for. But the reality is that I pretty much have to buy all my discs online and have to have a pretty good idea of what I want going in.

Any suggestions? And thanks for reading all of that!

Well. I don't think the xg plastic makes much of a difference in flight. Id just recommend another champion rhyno. I have one that I love too for all the same reasons. It has all the same qualities you listed. Rhynos seem pretty consistent to me.

I love the Hyzer Bomb Tank for these shots. gummy and predictable, and at $10 a pop won't break the bank.

I use an XG rhyno sometimes. I ended up using a standard "gummy" type rhyno as a backup and the more time I have it in the bag the closer in feel to my XG it gets. It has actually taken over as the putter I go for most of the time. But as far as getting more XGs, keep an eye at discgolfvalues. They have XGs of different types on the regular. I have also scored them on the market place here and on ebay for around $20 as long as they aren't some rare stamp.

Prodiscus Premium Jokeri. Great feel and flight but can be kind of hard to find. I usually say Marshall Street is where to get them but they are currently OOS.

Thanks for the heads up on discgolfvalues zmannz. Hopefully they are not a DiscNation affiliate because they do not ship to Canada. :wall:

Tank and Jokeri. I'll have to check those out when I go down to the US next month.

Have those of you who use regular gummy champ Rhynos found that they have that impact absorbing ability to taco and drop?

Also, anyone know if the Envy will be released in soft Proton?

Try a Medium VP. Maybe even a Soft, if you want extra extra gummy. (maybe floppy)

Similar flight to a Rhyno, but made of rubber.

Disc Golf Values has a several Tournament stamped XG Rhynos under $20. Maybe Innova will start making Rhynos in GStar, who knows?

I would love to see them make a Gstar Rhyno, but I am also intrigued at the idea of an overmold Rhyno as well, that's what I wanna see!!

On a more related note to this conversation though, I would say stick with the XG Rhynos, they are easy to get through DGV, but I will also second that the Tanks are sweet! I've been throwing Tanks for quite some time and I love em!!

The newer run San Marino Champ Rhynos are pretty gummy and flat and fly like Rhyno's should. I don't see why you couldn't just replace it with one of those, as they're widely available for cheap.

Yup, discgolfvalues has some sweet XG Rhynos and they will ship to Canuckistan. Thanks again for the suggestion. I'll pick up a couple and sleep well knowing I'm covered ;).

...but that doesn't mean I won't stop hunting. Just too many discs out there I want to throw!

not sure where on Van Isle you are, but the Burnaby disc golf club, on the mainland, has CFR XG rhyno's from novembers duck golf event. there should be a couple of each colour to choose from. message me for more info. there will be some island guy's over this way on the weekend for Jericho Duck. if you know any of them, I could probably work something out and send one or two back with them.

I'm starting to plan out the 2014 3 man throwdown and was skimming the current innova order form and they had gummy rhynos listed as a regular stock item, not limited to a CFR option. They went over well 2 years ago, so I'll probably order more for this year. Its looking like the first disc order is gonna be Legacy though.

Worldwide - Sweet! PM sent. And good luck at the Duckie this weekend! I wish I could make it out for more Duck Golf events, but it's tough to be away from the family for what ends up being a two day trip for me.

Dehaas - Are you going to have another Zam designed stamp? Everyone that I've seen has been sick!

Try a Medium VP. Maybe even a Soft, if you want extra extra gummy. (maybe floppy)

Similar flight to a Rhyno, but made of rubber.

Yeah, I'm thinking max weight (to minimize the floppiness) Soft VP, also.

The remaining XG's on DiscGolfValues are either domey or really pricey. You can have the domeys. They're not nearly OS enough for my tastes. I'm not paying collector prices for a thrower, either. I need a FLAT XG 175 if anyone knows where to get one for under $35. May just have to try a soft VP out. DGV will probably run them for the GCC again next year. I think I paid $23 shipped. I'll order a few next year, for sure.

The remaining XG's on DiscGolfValues are either domey or really pricey. You can have the domeys. They're not nearly OS enough for my tastes. I'm not paying collector prices for a thrower, either. I need a FLAT XG 175 if anyone knows where to get one for under $35. May just have to try a soft VP out. DGV will probably run them for the GCC again next year. I think I paid $23 shipped. I'll order a few next year, for sure.

When I checked yesterday there were 2014 Taiwan CFR XGs that they desribed as flat compared to the pearly XGs. $17.99 I do believe.

A Soft Envy is exactly what you're describing, unfortunately they are not production yet. Vibram Soft Ridge sounds like a good bet.

Worldwide - Sweet! PM sent. And good luck at the Duckie this weekend! I wish I could make it out for more Duck Golf events, but it's tough to be away from the family for what ends up being a two day trip for me.

Dehaas - Are you going to have another Zam designed stamp? Everyone that I've seen has been sick!

Yeah, its already in the works. Rumor has it there might be more than one...

Latest posts