• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ricky Wysocki #38008

I grow the sport by buying lots of stock discs, losing them, and then buying more discs.

I do this solely to provide disc manufacturers with the financial wherewithal to sponsor pro players.

You are welcome.

Can someone please explain the Wysocki - raptor connection? No comprendo.

Did he do a science fair on dinosaurs as a child?

Made it through a little more than an hour of the Smashboxx interview with Ricky, will catch the rest later on. So far a couple things stood out.

As allegedly earth shattering as his deal is it still smells like oldschool dg. He was asked about the bitcoin sign on bonus and said it hasn't been worked out yet if it would be cash and he'd make the purchase or he'd receive bitcoin from DD. Big fuss was made about him having an agent before the announcement, Ricky and Ari both implied that she did all the heavy lifting on negotiations. The agent is his CPA.

The shade thrown at Foundation for "leaking" his contract details…I understand Ari's perspective of the announcement should've been Ricky's to celebrate…but at the same time if you want it to be confidential people close to you need to keep their mouth's shut. Ricky deferred to Ari on pretty much any business related questions, and she politely declined to talk about any questions regarding his Innova contract. Terry didn't ask if he was being approached by sponsors or if Ricky was actively looking for deals, but you'd have to assume manufacturers aren't proactively chasing down players who are publicly still under contract. They did say the contract was 16 pages long, but it sounded like a good portion of that was behind the scenes stuff like details over his disc line and whatnot.

I still don't know what to make about the refusal to talk about Innova. People think there are some legal things behind the scenes between Innova and Ricky/DD but who knows. My own perception is that he was out there shopping for a new deal…no clue what would've pushed him to that point. Great for him to land the payday, but as more and more unraveled it came across that there was a fair amount of fluff involved (helicopter ride 9 miles from the airport to DD) presumably to outdo the McBeth/DC deal. Like 3P has said, fake it until you make it.

AFAIK it doesn't mean anything beyond the fact that Ricky is a lanky dude who runs fast, and in his haste to retrieve 50-100 foot putts, his leg kicks/jumps looked raptor-like. If it's something else, I missed it haha.

Ahh, thanks - In the pro switch sponsor thread I saw some reports of griping on Wysocki's part of Ulibarri having a Raptor disc, like it was a trademarked name.

If that is the basis of the complaint ... um, lame!

If he's refusing to talk Innova, likely some sort of legal dispute, even if it's minor and not going to court. Or he signed a no talk waiver to get out of his Innova contract. Because when Rick and Ari say they won't talk about it, they do so with a hint of frustration… as if they have something to say but can't.

Debatable. If there's no one to come play at a course I build, what good have I really done. Manufacturers/pros have a much wider reach than me/my local club.

The point is, if you're only buying discs you will throw, you are not putting any money into the sport, and money is what truly grows things in this country.

I started playing because there were these weird pagan altars on a park I went to for the first time and it got me curious. Then the next, I saw some people throwing frisbees into them. Not because of any pros. I didn't even start watching professional DG tours until 3 years into playing.

If there were no courses around me, I would have never taken up the sport, no matter how many well-funded pros there are. But I'm not celebrity obsessed.

History lesson for youngsters:

^^^ That, plus the fact it was hole #18 on the final day, they were tied at the time, and Ricky was about 60' out, Paul was maybe 45'. And Paul had earlier in the year been quoted as saying an equivalent of "Ricky would Likely 'choke' in situations like that."

IIRC, Ricky didn't create the "raptor legs" (at least not calling his "high-stepping run to the basket" that), it was the announcers on the coverage after that putt that called that some kind of "raptor" run (it was the first time anyone had noticed him doing that in his excitement) -- then the nickname and Ricky doing that on long putts just caught on.

Combined all that with the background that with the fact that in an interview for the LA Times newspaper, Ricky got the "choker" label from Paul when McBeth was quoted as saying, "Rick needs to win by 5 or 10 strokes; if it's close you can pretty much count him out." Paul then rephrased but doubled down in the very first DGPT event interviews that March. So Ricky big-putting Paul at Santa Cruz, then backing it up by winning Worlds that year only "added" to the "raptor legs" thing.

LA Times: https://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-frisbee-golf-erskine-20160218-column.html

Paul doubles down in an interview :

Ahh, thanks - In the pro switch sponsor thread I saw some reports of griping on Wysocki's part of Ulibarri having a Raptor disc, like it was a trademarked name.

If that is the basis of the complaint ... um, lame!

I'm not sure what his running style has to do with raptors (bird of prey)....but then I've never seen a raptor run. I would have called him T-Rex legs as I imagine the way he runs is more like a T-Rex would have run. He's even done a video of him playing disc golf in a T-Rex costume.

As for the name itself, I think the issue is that Ricky can't have a signature disc made with the Raptor name since Paul U/Discraft beat him to it.

I'm not sure what his running style has to do with raptors (bird of prey)....but then I've never seen a raptor run. I would have called him T-Rex legs as I imagine the way he runs is more like a T-Rex would have run. He's even done a video of him playing disc golf in a T-Rex costume.

As for the name itself, I think the issue is that Ricky can't have a signature disc made with the Raptor name since Paul U/Discraft beat him to it.

The R sounded better to announcers? Pretty sure I first heard it on Jomez coverage Ricky Raptor and getting them Raptor legs going. After seeing him nail some long putts and running to the basket all high knee it just kind of stuck. He did have a a Raptor on his Destroyer run as a nod to the nickname. ;)