• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ridiculously overpriced disc of the day...

"Just like with pokemon cards, or magic the gathering, these vintage innova discs will be a hot commodity as people who love the sport come to claim their piece of history."

I don't want to name the disc or give any details but I gently fondled a piece of, " disc golf history" that wasnt stored properly.
It broke...

During my last trip to the IDGC Hall of Fame, we realized the glass cases weren't locked and you could pick up any vintage/priceless disc we wanted to (didn't tho).

Phantom plus? I have seen those crack just hanging on the wall.
It's funny because back in the mid-90's the guys who were still throwing those said the plastic was bulletproof. Between Phantom+'s turning to dust and CE discs turning fragile, I've wondered if there is some sort of golf disc plastic correlation where short-term durability leads to earlier/more dramatic long-term breakdown.

Of course it's anecdotal so I'm really babbling about nothing.

^as to that vein, what would you say is the most durable plastic you have or are aware of right now?

I think I would have to say mine was the last 2nd run FD I sold. That thing was like 5-6 years old, thrown a s*** ton, and still in excellent overall shape.

Phantom plus? I have seen those crack just hanging on the wall.

It was an amoeba Stingray. I picked it up and did the classic, "press my thumbs into the flightplate" and my left thumb went through the flightplate. The discs were stored in the attic of a garage for 20+ years.

It's funny because back in the mid-90's the guys who were still throwing those said the plastic was bulletproof. Between Phantom+'s turning to dust and CE discs turning fragile, I've wondered if there is some sort of golf disc plastic correlation where short-term durability leads to earlier/more dramatic long-term breakdown.

Of course it's anecdotal so I'm really babbling about nothing.

My swoosh stamped (not that stamp matters because it may have sat blank in the warehouse) 5x JKpro Valk exploded in 45ish weather, yet I throw my 92 Ontario Cobra through winter. Valk was a good 6-7/10 or so while the Cobra is creeping up on 3/10 dog toy.

*SCIENCE*

Honestly you might be onto something but I have zero background in plastic manufacturing.

I have a 20lb box full of CE cracked plastic.
Back about 5 yrs ago, I decided to sell my collection.
I would take a disc, press my thumbs into it, flex it, and then throw it edge-first onto a carpeted floor.
If it passed, I would sell it.
Never had a complaint, but there's a lot of wasted money in that box.
CE TBs, CE JLSs, CE and KCPro everything…

Turns out, some people wanted them for collections and wall hangers and would have taken them untested.
So nowadays, I'll offer at-risk collectibles (with a no-warranty warning) and they still sell.

Talking about fragile CE stuff still hurts a little.

I have a 20lb box full of CE cracked plastic.
Back about 5 yrs ago, I decided to sell my collection.
I would take a disc, press my thumbs into it, flex it, and then throw it edge-first onto a carpeted floor.
If it passed, I would sell it.
Never had a complaint, but there's a lot of wasted money in that box.
CE TBs, CE JLSs, CE and KCPro everything…

Turns out, some people wanted them for collections and wall hangers and would have taken them untested.
So nowadays, I'll offer at-risk collectibles (with a no-warranty warning) and they still sell.

Talking about fragile CE stuff still hurts a little.

i sold all of my stuff about 5 years ago as well, except all the late-run CE TLs i use, which seem to be holding up. so far. once my CE teebirds started blowing up on trees like fireworks instead of just breaking in half, i figured i'd let the rest be someone else's problem.

The late CE TL's were not the same waxy plastic as the CE TB's.
It's the waxy plastic binder that leaks out and keeps the discs grippy, but also allows the plastic to get brittle.
Those late CE TL's didn't have that waxy plastic, but are more like the modern Champ plastic.

ANY plastic that leaks that waxy binder will become brittle, not just CE.

The late CE TL's were not the same waxy plastic as the CE TB's.
It's the waxy plastic binder that leaks out and keeps the discs grippy, but also allows the plastic to get brittle.
Those late CE TL's didn't have that waxy plastic, but are more like the modern Champ plastic.

ANY plastic that leaks that waxy binder will become brittle, not just CE.

Wait, are you talking about," fingerprinty plastic"?
According to the auction sites that stuff is great.
Sorry....

Latest posts