• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Ridiculously overpriced disc of the day...

I understand that a letter of authentication greatly increases the value of the disc...I'm wonderinging why McBeth and his caddie would sign one?
They both know that the main purpose of the letter is to increase the value of the disc for the seller. It just seems a little sleezy to me.:thmbdown:

- There's a 25k 1983 Eagle 1st run with no patent that I have no interest in, for my purposes very little value. Paul's disc more valuable to me.

-No other Worlds disc I could find from Paul in the market, if correct increases value.

-I couldn't find anything by Ken Climo either that was in play during Worlds. More value.

-How many Worlds and other Majors do I think Paul will win? More value.

-Worth repeating and must be found out, any other discs Paul used in play during Worlds floating around out there, and how many. If others, could this disc be the first.

Would I buy it.

Sure, if I wouldn't miss the money. But I would:

-I would try to reach out to Paul and ask, " why did you let go of the disc". And asking, "are there any other World's disc floating out there".

-If possible, I would want to see the disc in person, I would never buy for that amount without examining it. The seller makes the mistake of stating "I think". Well, "I think" I would like to haggle the price down and that works best if done face to face.

Bottom line if I wanted to spend the money, I would be walking out of there with the disc. Over time it will have more value and would look nice with my other collections.

There're my two cents.

Ok, but here's the piece you haven't mentioned. If you had $20k burning a hole in your pocket...you could probably reach out to Paul and buy a disc directly out of his bag that he used in Worlds for a lot less than $20k.

You're attributing "these aren't out there to purchase" as a reason for being higher value. Vials of Paul's spit also aren't out there available for purchase...if someone has one it doesn't make it valuable. These aren't out there for purchase largely because people don't care about them and they have little/no value to just about everyone.

Wysocki sold off a lot of his used discs last year, they had some value but not ridiculous amounts of money changing hands...and some of those were for discs people recognized right off the bat because he threw them so much...not this disc that is not really iconically linked to Paul.

You could almost definitely go and buy one of Paul's lunas or buzzes that's pretty well known that he used at World's right out of his bag for a smaller donation to his charity than $20k.

I understand that a letter of authentication greatly increases the value of the disc...I'm wonderinging why McBeth and his caddie would sign one?
They both know that the main purpose of the letter is to increase the value of the disc for the seller. It just seems a little sleezy to me.:thmbdown:

I dunno, maybe it was sold/auctioned as part of a fundraiser for his charity or himself (I don't even know when this person acquired it)? Signing a COA is a good way to boost the auction price so that whoever buys it has proof when they show it off instead of just their word that "Paul used this".

A lot of times athletes are hired to do autograph signings at events. If folks pay to get something autographed at a session often times they get the COA afterwards. Basically just states the athlete was at this event and signed this item.

I dunno, maybe it was sold/auctioned as part of a fundraiser for his charity or himself (I don't even know when this person acquired it)? Signing a COA is a good way to boost the auction price so that whoever buys it has proof when they show it off instead of just their word that "Paul used this".

That's what I was thinking (hoping). Maybe he gave the disc and signed the letter of authenticity for a charity which in turn sold the disc to make money for their cause. Then the new owner of the disc is re-selling it.

Last I heard he still bags and throws that disc (green/yellow envy) at least in early 2022. I'm no collector and I'm a big believer that discs are meant to be thrown, but damn if I was him I'd certainly make an exception with that one. Hell I'd bet the IDGC down in Georgia would make a spot somewhere for that one to hang.

As of his last in the bag he's throwing the Envy with the commemorative stamp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wecIPzkyph0?t=1m59s

Ok, but here's the piece you haven't mentioned. If you had $20k burning a hole in your pocket...you could probably reach out to Paul and buy a disc directly out of his bag that he used in Worlds for a lot less than $20k.

You're attributing "these aren't out there to purchase" as a reason for being higher value. Vials of Paul's spit also aren't out there available for purchase...if someone has one it doesn't make it valuable. These aren't out there for purchase largely because people don't care about them and they have little/no value to just about everyone.

Wysocki sold off a lot of his used discs last year, they had some value but not ridiculous amounts of money changing hands...and some of those were for discs people recognized right off the bat because he threw them so much...not this disc that is not really iconically linked to Paul.

You could almost definitely go and buy one of Paul's lunas or buzzes that's pretty well known that he used at World's right out of his bag for a smaller donation to his charity than $20k.

I was not attributing "these aren't out there to purchase". What I was attributing to, is "do your homework" to find out if the disc is unique. If singular that disc is unique, and I personally wanted the disc, I'm not paying 20k for it, I'm going to work the seller down on the price where my initial offer will likely make him scoff at me. Like I said, my buying days have been over more than a dozen years ago, but if that disc is singular and no others like it, it perks my interest.

Let's say all of your points about Paul are correct. I wouldn't pay more than $200 for it, the market would be too flooded for it. And that's why I would try to reach out to him "are there any other disc from worlds or any major out there like it."

That's what I was thinking (hoping). Maybe he gave the disc and signed the letter of authenticity for a charity which in turn sold the disc to make money for their cause. Then the new owner of the disc is re-selling it.

Paul's caddy signing the letter would be a plus, and possible they did it for a higher-than-normal selling price, that's why I would try to reach out to Paul for some background. The current seller has experience, and possible the disc has been flipped a few times. The disc was listed after Paul's World's win this year, the seller is likely thinking a good time to sell it for more value than whatever it may have been listed before.

Last edited:

Latest posts