• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Right disc for shot?

My understanding is that rollers were a lot more necessary in the past because discs that flew far on low lines didn't exist. If you wanted a 400' shot you needed at least 30' of height even if you were a big arm. With the faster discs out you can hit 400' with 10' of height anymore so throwing rollers hasn't been quite as important as it was in the past.

The reason I throw rollers really has nothing to do with the ceiling height. Sometimes a properly thrown roller is the best line to get to a basket. Having a short deuce putt on a 500ft uphill, downhill, right to left to right hole is awesome when everyone else is putting for their 4.

I probably use rollers now more on approach shots than anything. And like Chris said, sometimes the line for a roller is just the best line to the basket.

The reason I throw rollers really has nothing to do with the ceiling height. Sometimes a properly thrown roller is the best line to get to a basket.
That's my point. You don't have to throw rollers because of ceiling height anymore. I was just giving a theory on why some of the more experienced golfers tend to throw more rollers than the newer and more advanced players.

I think it has more to do with what discs get put into newer players hands. When a disc w/more mass on the rim is what you get handed (i.e. leopard/sidewinder, road runner) - it's harder to learn a good roller because those discs are much less forgiving than discs like stingrays and cobras. You have to develop more sifnificant control in learning to make those discs turn than you do w/ less high tech discs.