• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Right Hand Forehand Throws Just banking hard Left

I learned to throw forehand with a beat up pro starfire. Just stable enough to take some OAT, but will turn and burn if you aren't smooth, plus I get real good distance (for me) with it. I do throw a firebird also for windy days, but I also would not starting with it.

Short answer.
Stop throwing flippy ****, throw something overstable.

Long answer.
You can throw that Sidewinder FH, but you better put ALOT of sky between it, and the ground. If it has enough room , it will eventually flex out.
Throwing a more stable/overstable disc will mean the disc will flex out faster, so you can throw it on flat, low lines easier.
You could try a "speed" stable disc, like an Xcaliber, or a "true" overstable disc, like a Flick, or a Firebird.

Tell that to the 375' hyzer flip shot I took with my sidewinder that stayed under 10' for the entire flight.

I don't want to get into a wiener measuring contest here, but you're wrong.

Whatever you do, don't try to learn fh with a flick or firebird. You'd be better of learning with stable mids and putters.

How does that particular sidewinder fly for you on a bh drive? How were you releasing the disc in regards to power and release angle?

I will second keeping the palm up and eliminating the run up for now. Depending on how flippy your Sidewinder is you might want to throw a more stable disc like a TL/Viking/JLS/Volt or something in your bag that's pretty straight and not too overstable.

Thrown smooth and under 350' Sidewinders, Roadrunners etc are just fine for FH if they arent too beat and you don't have a headwind. Just focus on being smooth. Its better to throw 200' with control than 300' inconsistently. Distance comes with practice, focus on control.

Also I tend to get OAT more easily on a fh going for a hyzer line. For me with a fh it was easy to start hyzer and release flat, causing severe wobble, when I was teaching myself fh hyzers. Flat release is the easiest to learn.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87909

To the OP, without actually seeing you throw, here are some tips:

1) Slow it down. Shorten your swing down and REALLY focus on the flick aspect of the swing.

2) Skip the stones. You know how when skipping stones, you have to keep them flat to get them to skip, same motion with a disc.

3) Slow it down. I know I already said this, but its that important.

Just an update, the tips on this thread were very helpful. I am actually getting forehand flicks with drivers out to around 300' pretty consistently now. I am loving that I can work the shots that need to fade right by simply flicking instead of backhanding or throwing my beat DX Stingray that only wants to turn right.

Flicking is cool and useful! : )

Don't Elbow In, You're Going To Tear A Tendon Down The Road. Keep It Angled But Not Glued To Your Body. Just Like Throwing A Baseball.

Lots of assumptions in here about what he's doing wrong. In my opinion, I have no idea why it's doing what you're describing. If you're a guy who has the abilities to throw a really nice sidearm and you're throwing a sidewinder nice and flat with no OATs and a lot of torque, it's gonna do what you're describing. If you aren't putting much spin on the disc and you're wrist rolling it and releasing it with a ton of anny and a ton of OATs, it's gonna do what you're describing. Without seeing a video of what you're doing, you're gonna get people just giving you general guidelines to throwing good, smooth sidearms. These will help, of course, but they aren't really targeted feedback for your specific problem.

So you have more OAT when you throw forehand. Plus the little bit of added spin plays a small role, I believe.

I think a combination of arm speed and OAT is the bigger issue rather than spin. Anyone who has a background in throwing a baseball or swinging a racket can generate a lot of arm speed without much effort. Couple that ability with "throwing hard" and you turn and burn.

I agree with OregonNole, throw slow and smooth, distance and control will come with time.

Whatever you do, don't try to learn fh with a flick or firebird. You'd be better of learning with stable mids and putters.

How does that particular sidewinder fly for you on a bh drive? How were you releasing the disc in regards to power and release angle?

I will second keeping the palm up and eliminating the run up for now. Depending on how flippy your Sidewinder is you might want to throw a more stable disc like a TL/Viking/JLS/Volt or something in your bag that's pretty straight and not too overstable.

Thrown smooth and under 350' Sidewinders, Roadrunners etc are just fine for FH if they arent too beat and you don't have a headwind. Just focus on being smooth. Its better to throw 200' with control than 300' inconsistently. Distance comes with practice, focus on control.

Also I tend to get OAT more easily on a fh going for a hyzer line. For me with a fh it was easy to start hyzer and release flat, causing severe wobble, when I was teaching myself fh hyzers. Flat release is the easiest to learn.

My 2cents... Firebird is probably not what you need to be throwing to work on a flat release.

Short answer.
Stop throwing flippy ****, throw something overstable.

I disagree. I can FH my beat TM2 Vision 250ft on a frozen rope, and it's not that high off the ground.

You can learn to FH anything (as long as you can grip it right). It just takes practice, and good form.

Baseball is some what of a good reference. Throwing a fastball sidearm is like throwing a rh forehand. Batting left handed with a Ken Griffey Jr. style swing is like throwing rh backhand.

Latest posts